Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Genres to downloaded FLAC files

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TAG

KID3

and there's also YATE

...I haven't actually tried any of these "Tag Editors," I would be interested in your opinion about any of them!

Rick

Well, I've now tried all of these. While it appears that I've been able to add a Genre to a song using any of the Tag apps you suggested to me, the Model S still does not show the added Genre.

MP3s with genres in itunes do show up with a genre in the car. But I cannot seem to figure out how to get a genre added to a FLAC file and then have that genre show up in the car.

Any other suggestions?

I need to play around with this!
All my FLAC files were ripped from CD using a converter that pulled Genre, Album Art etc. from the web. I've been interested in buying high-quality FLAC downloads so I will probably be in the same situation when I do.

I need to play around with this!
All my FLAC files were ripped from CD using a converter that pulled Genre, Album Art etc. from the web. I've been interested in buying high-quality FLAC downloads so I will probably be in the same situation when I do.

Thanks. Nothing i tried worked. So now, I am converting the FLAC files to ALAC; importing those into iTunes; adding Genre labels and then converting back to FLAC. Crazy, but it works.

If you're using OS X, check out TeslaTunes ...it copies iTunes Playlists to your drive and converts ALAC to FLAC. It uses the genre tags to build the playlists for the Tesla - i.e. instead of using actual genres, it changes the genre tag to the playlist name. This also works manually changing the genre tags, but who wants to mess up their music library.

Works great.

TeslaTunes

If you're using OS X, check out TeslaTunes ...it copies iTunes Playlists to your drive and converts ALAC to FLAC. It uses the genre tags to build the playlists for the Tesla - i.e. instead of using actual genres, it changes the genre tag to the playlist name. This also works manually changing the genre tags, but who wants to mess up their music library.

Works great.

TeslaTunes

Awesome, thanks.

Reactions: jdw
I use DbPoweramp for ripping and converting
Is is not free but I really like the program. I can't tell you how many cd's I've ripped and it's always performed flawlesslsy
Great support for artwork,etc
dBpoweramp: mp3 Converter, CD Ripper, FLAC, Apple Lossless, WAV, AAC, AIFF. Fix album art, Asset UPnP Server

You can get a 21 day fully functional trial

Thanks for the info.

I am a complete noob in this endeavor but I love the sound of the decompressed audio. I want to get my music converted so I'm ready to go when I get my CPO sometime soon-ish, LOL It just won't happen fast enough.

OP, I was a big TeslaTunes advocate until 8.0. I recently found a bug for another guy, with it not transferring Album Art in AIFF to FLAC conversions if that is important to you. I was also running into problems I suspect because of macOS Sierra compatibility with the ability/inability to sometimes select folders opposed to iTunes Playlists.

With all the challenges related to 8.0, I've abandoned TeslaTunes and am now using dBpoweramp to handle all the workarounds I need. It actually does more that TeslaTunes did in that regard as it can deal with some of the newer anomolies with 8.0 that were before TeslaTunes was last updated some time ago. Check out my post here for details: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1800923/ and from there, there are links back to upthread posts in that thread with more details on bugs/workarounds if you're so inclined. Good luck.