TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Adding Genres to downloaded FLAC files

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by jacobp, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jacobp

jacobp Member

I just downloaded some albums in FLAC format. Unzipped them and added the folders representing each album to the USB drive. Plugged the drive into the MS. The artists and songs showed up, but there is nothing in the Genre category. How do i add Genre information to a downloaded FLAC file?

2. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

What are you running for a computer, PC or Mac?

3. jacobp

jacobp Member

Mac. But i also run Parallels so i also have a Windows 10 virtual machine.

4. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

TAG

KID3

and there's also YATE

...I haven't actually tried any of these "Tag Editors," I would be interested in your opinion about any of them!

Rick

5. jacobp

jacobp Member

thanks Rick.

6. jacobp

jacobp Member

Well, I've now tried all of these. While it appears that I've been able to add a Genre to a song using any of the Tag apps you suggested to me, the Model S still does not show the added Genre.

MP3s with genres in itunes do show up with a genre in the car. But I cannot seem to figure out how to get a genre added to a FLAC file and then have that genre show up in the car.

Any other suggestions?

7. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

I need to play around with this!
    All my FLAC files were ripped from CD using a converter that pulled Genre, Album Art etc. from the web. I've been interested in buying high-quality FLAC downloads so I will probably be in the same situation when I do.

8. jacobp

jacobp Member

Thanks. Nothing i tried worked. So now, I am converting the FLAC files to ALAC; importing those into iTunes; adding Genre labels and then converting back to FLAC. Crazy, but it works.

9. Big Virgil

Big Virgil Member

What site/converter would someone recommend for converting from mp3 to FLAC?

Thanks.

10. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

If you're using OS X, check out TeslaTunes ...it copies iTunes Playlists to your drive and converts ALAC to FLAC. It uses the genre tags to build the playlists for the Tesla - i.e. instead of using actual genres, it changes the genre tag to the playlist name. This also works manually changing the genre tags, but who wants to mess up their music library.

Works great.

TeslaTunes

11. Big Virgil

Big Virgil Member

Awesome, thanks.

• Like x 1
  12. idealsol

idealsol Member

13. Big Virgil

Big Virgil Member

Thanks for the info.

I am a complete noob in this endeavor but I love the sound of the decompressed audio. I want to get my music converted so I'm ready to go when I get my CPO sometime soon-ish, LOL It just won't happen fast enough.

14. jdw

jdw Supporting Member

Sorry, I should have linked to the TeslaTunes release download link rather than the code repository.

TeslaTunes Download

15. BertL

BertL Supporting Member

OP, I was a big TeslaTunes advocate until 8.0. I recently found a bug for another guy, with it not transferring Album Art in AIFF to FLAC conversions if that is important to you. I was also running into problems I suspect because of macOS Sierra compatibility with the ability/inability to sometimes select folders opposed to iTunes Playlists.

With all the challenges related to 8.0, I've abandoned TeslaTunes and am now using dBpoweramp to handle all the workarounds I need. It actually does more that TeslaTunes did in that regard as it can deal with some of the newer anomolies with 8.0 that were before TeslaTunes was last updated some time ago. Check out my post here for details: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/1800923/ and from there, there are links back to upthread posts in that thread with more details on bugs/workarounds if you're so inclined. Good luck.