Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding GPS Navigation on 2013 Model S With 3G

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just bought a Tesla Model S 2013 from a private seller. The car doesn't have turn by turn navigation and I would really like to add it.
I have read online that since my car has the 3G cell service that GPS Nav can be added for under $500 via a software fix that Tesla can do. I have also read that replacing the whole MCU is required.

Can anyone weigh in with their own experiences and confirm or deny any of the above?

Thanks!!

-Zach

I just bought a Tesla Model S 2013 from a private seller. The car doesn't have turn by turn navigation and I would really like to add it.
I have read online that since my car has the 3G cell service that GPS Nav can be added for under $500 via a software fix that Tesla can do. I have also read that replacing the whole MCU is required.

Can anyone weigh in with their own experiences and confirm or deny any of the above?

Thanks!!

-Zach

My car has 3G service and has Navigation, is the car in your name now that your purchased it.?
The Navigation part may not be visible, have you hold down the talk steering wheel button and said "navigate to pizza hut" ?

I don't have NAV either. It was part of the Tech Package I did not opt for. I remember reading that it was a different MCU, but it was a long time ago.

Also included in the Tech Package that the OP would not have in addition to NAV - folding mirrors (depending on when they were introduced), driver profiles/memory seats, heated auto-darkening side mirrors, auto-darkening rear-view mirror, fog lights (during some specific build time), turning lights, power liftgate, auto unlock/present/walk-away lock, lighted door handles, silver rear air diffuser and parking light bezels (instead of black)... Am I missing anything?

• Informative
Reactions: whitex and StarLog
Also included in the Tech Package that the OP would not have in addition to NAV - folding mirrors (depending on when they were introduced), driver profiles/memory seats, heated auto-darkening side mirrors, auto-darkening rear-view mirror, fog lights (during some specific build time), turning lights, power liftgate, auto unlock/present/walk-away lock, lighted door handles, silver rear air diffuser and parking light bezels (instead of black)... Am I missing anything?

Your right, I forgot about the Tech package, which I have.. WOW so many goodies.

Your right, I forgot about the Tech package, which I have.. WOW so many goodies.
A lot of "goodies" I guess, I don't really miss any though. I like using the map and not relying on NAV (with no waypoints anyway, etc.). Don't care for the power liftgate, too slow for me. Turning lights might be nice. I would like driver profiles, but it's really not that often someone else drives. I have no problem "flipping" my mirror. I prefer the understated black trim. Many times I walk past my car without the intent of getting in, so less wear-and-tear of the door handles.

Without NAV, I've become used to issuing the voice command "Where is..." and it shows me. I tried it on a car with NAV and it stared telling me to drive there - I didn't want to go there, I only wanted to know where it was! So I cancelled navigation, and still didn't know where it was.

I did have the front passenger door handle replaced during the brief time all cars had lit handles, so I had one lit handle. I liked it so much that when I performed a DIY Paddle Gear replacement on my driver's front handle, I added the light myself. (The Paddle Gear was $1.22, but the LED was $27.88 - I sprung for it.)

If Tesla doesn't want to activate Nav in your car, stop updating and contact one of the hackers here to have them activate it for you.

MCU doesn't need to be replaced. There was never a part number for an MCU without GPS capabilities. If there is any hardware needed, it would be plugging in a GPS antenna.

If Tesla doesn't want to activate Nav in your car, stop updating and contact one of the hackers here to have them activate it for you.

MCU doesn't need to be replaced. There was never a part number for an MCU without GPS capabilities. If there is any hardware needed, it would be plugging in a GPS antenna.
I know all MCUs have GPS - those of us without NAV have GPS and Google maps; just no NAV (turn-by-turn and the later added route graph). Also I know that NAV is separate from the streaming Google map, and has its own on-board map data. Perhaps it's not the MCU with a different part number, but a chip or module that's different.

I have the same situation looking to add GPS to 2013 S .When I bought it was full package $4000.00 Can. I ask Tesla in Vancouver B c . they said no. There should be some way to do it. I can do Google Maps on Cell phone ,then you have to turn off the blue tooth on the phone. If only you can hear on the car audio will be good enough.

8BE62CC7-1942-41D0-9D84-DCEBE6E7F5E8.jpeg
My 2014 Model S does not have turn-by-turn, so I am very interested to see if anyone is successful in getting it added/activated.

Interestingly, I checked to see if my software was up to date and suddenly saw that it was trying to update my Navigation Data!?!?!? Again, you can see from the left menu that I don’t have navigation.

The notification would only appear intermittently, so not sure what is going on, but gives me hope that there is a software switch that can be flipped.

I don't have NAV either. It was part of the Tech Package I did not opt for. I remember reading that it was a different MCU, but it was a long time ago.

I dont have the tech package..but still have NAV

I'm pretty certain that Tesla did offer an after-sale navigation upgrade, at least at one point.

I can't remember if we actually wrote a Service Bulletin or if it was just handled with a unique correction code (basically charging a fixed price without a specific document instructing how to perform the job), but I do remember the then-Director of Service pushing us to make it available because Tesla was about to introduce the on-screen supercharger route planning and he suspected that a lot of owners of non-navigation cars would want to upgrade to use that feature.

So I'd say inquire at your local Service Center. They may need to do a little digging to find out how to do it and how much to charge for it.