Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Homelink and Keyfobs to Leased Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello-- I'm taking delivery of my M3P next Sunday and I want to add Homelink and at least 1 keyfob to my Model 3. My car is leased, so ideally I'd like to roll the cost of these two items into the lease rather than pay the full price for them up front, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

How do I make sure that Homelink and a keyfob are ready for me at the time of delivery or are these items only available to be fitted/delivered after I take delivery of my car?

Hello-- I'm taking delivery of my M3P next Sunday and I want to add Homelink and at least 1 keyfob to my Model 3. My car is leased, so ideally I'd like to roll the cost of these two items into the lease rather than pay the full price for them up front, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

How do I make sure that Homelink and a keyfob are ready for me at the time of delivery or are these items only available to be fitted/delivered after I take delivery of my car?

I dont think you can add homelink pre delivery, and the keyfob is an accessory so I doubt you are adding that to your agreement.

You need to think of those options like dealer installed accessories in a traditional dealership (which are also not residualized). In a traditional dealership lease transaction, dealer installed accessories are not residualized, so you pay the full amount for them (whether one realizes that or not). They can be wrapped up in the payment, but you are still paying the full amount for them.

The only things that are residualized are manufacturer installed items (things that usually appear on the monroney sticker from the manufacturer, vs the dealer add on supplemental).

Anyway, since Tesla made homelink a separate purchase, I have not read a single instance of someone even being able to have it installed prior to delivery of the vehicle (which I think is completely stupid, but it is what it is at this point). If tesla wants to charge for homelink, they should make it a checkbox on the order screen so someone can click the button and add it (and pay for it, or get it residualized in the lease) at that point, but they dont. It must be purchased "after" car is delivered, and then one must make an appointment to have it installed, etc.

There has to be some licensing reason this is the case... but anyway, climbing down off my soap box, OP, dont think you can do what you are after.

There has to be some licensing reason this is the case... but anyway, climbing down off my soap box, OP, dont think you can do what you are after.

Got it! Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and order those items from the accessories store.

I know the Model 3 is built to a lower price than the Model S, but some of these extra accessories really should be included in the higher priced versions of the car.

Got it! Thanks for the info. I'll go ahead and order those items from the accessories store.

I know the Model 3 is built to a lower price than the Model S, but some of these extra accessories really should be included in the higher priced versions of the car.

Agreed, and they used to be. My dec 2018 model 3P came with homelink for example... but the price I paid for that car with EAP was 70,500 before tax, etc. I got a 7500 tax credit though, but the homelink omission specifically I find silly on tesla's part.