Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

adding jumps seats...worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bpoday

S60 owner in San Diego, C
Jul 7, 2014
San Diego, CA
I've read mixed reviews on these...most complaints seem to be about heat/air flow/light...that said, I live in San Diego where its pretty mild, don't do many long road trips (LA, Palm Springs is about it) and plan on tinting the back windows.

Anyways, I'm considering adding them to my 2014 S60 (33k vin, red/gray/air/pano/sc/sound, 12k miles)...the service center said they can for ~$3200...am I nuts to dump more money into an "older model" S60?

Here is my case...I have 3 kids (7,6,3) and we often end of having to take my wife's Odyssey if there is one more kid/adult along for the ride (booo!). It isn't that big of a deal, but I'm planning on keeping the car for a while and am starting to think we'll get enough use out of it to be worth it.

pros: more local trips in my car, increased potential for road trips, separate the kids when needed (snug with 3 side-by-side), cool way to drop the kids off at school
cons: cost, reduced cargo space, added weight/reduced efficiency

I really wish the seats were easily removable...that would be sweet and make the decision easier

any thoughts?

Last edited:
I've had my P85 for almost two years with the rear facing seats. My kids are 10, 8, and 4.

When we first got the car, the older two were really excited about the rear facing seats. Then, we took a road trip and due to the issues you mentioned, in particular heat even though it was in the 50s during our trip, they decided they prefer riding in the front facing rear seat better.

But it sure is nice to have the rear facing seats when friends or family join us. Yesterday we had a birthday party and part of the fun was bringing a couple of friends with us. When friends ride along, there are always arguments about who gets to ride in the rear facing seats.

I would definitely get them again.

Whether it is worth it to upgrade an older car I can't say. I think when they come from the factory with the rear facing seats there is an addition to reinforce the rear bumper. Is this going to be added too or just the rear facing seats?

My kids love the rear facing seats, as do my nieces and nephews. I even use them for tailgating and watching my kids' sporting events in the rain...adults fit just fine when the rear hatch is up! While they may not be the best for long road trips, they are incredibly convenient when Grandparents are in town, and you want to take one car. Or when you have a carload of kids, of course! They definitely fight over who gets to ride back there...and in my car, the shortest ones win!

I even like the way they look back there, and the reaction I get from people who see them. I woudl probably get them again, even though my youngest is about to cross the 5' line and be too big to use them!

I've only had my car 3 weeks... but those rear seats are awesome, 5 and 4 y/o love 'em.

Though I do agree the heating/cooling issues back there are indeed real.

I'm still going to put in their car seats (diono radian ext's) and this way they can ride where they want. If we need the space then car seats come out, go in the frunk and the kids in the jump seats.

thanks for the feedback guys, definitely leaning towards doing it...and yes, I confirmed with the service center (a few months back anyways) that this could be done for $3200 including any structural retrofits, etc...