Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding loads PRE-install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yet another thread.. BUT this one has a slight twist.
I let Tesla know that I would like to install EV charging. I already knew that they would not do the install themselves but I wanted them to add a 50A breaker to the load calculation to allow me to add it to the backup panel after solar install.

Here is the response I received today.

"I have included the plan set for your review.
Tesla does not installed EV charging or outlets that may be required. Once the breaker is added I can check to see if the EV breaker can be included in the backup loads.
Please keep in mind that the EV charger MUST be permitted."

I replied and said I dont have room to install the breaker now; subpanel is full (and far away).

Any thoughts? I thought proactively "letting them know" was the right thing to do.

Yet another thread.. BUT this one has a slight twist.
I let Tesla know that I would like to install EV charging. I already knew that they would not do the install themselves but I wanted them to add a 50A breaker to the load calculation to allow me to add it to the backup panel after solar install.

Here is the response I received today.

"I have included the plan set for your review.
Tesla does not installed EV charging or outlets that may be required. Once the breaker is added I can check to see if the EV breaker can be included in the backup loads.
Please keep in mind that the EV charger MUST be permitted."

I replied and said I dont have room to install the breaker now; subpanel is full (and far away).

Any thoughts? I thought proactively "letting them know" was the right thing to do.
I cannot believe they won't install it with the PW system, and not sure what you can do if your intention is to tie into a panel that they haven't installed yet.

In my case, I wanted to install a 50A breaker for cooktop and 30A breaker for heat-pump water heater into the new subpanel that was to be installed with my Solar Roof. So I filed my own permit application with my own load calculations based on NEC 220.83(A) and 220.87. That application was accepted. Final inspection for both Tesla's permit and my own was last Thursday; both approved.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
I cannot believe they won't install it with the PW system, and not sure what you can do if your intention is to tie into a panel that they haven't installed yet.
yep, i think they stopped doing EV charger installs a while ago. doesnt make any sense to me. it should be a super easy project that they can charge extra for. and seems to be incredibly difficult with the "add no new loads" sticker afterwards.

In my case, I wanted to install a 50A breaker for cooktop and 30A breaker for heat-pump water heater into the new subpanel that was to be installed with my Solar Roof. So I filed my own permit application with my own load calculations based on NEC 220.83(A) and 220.87. That application was accepted. Final inspection for both Tesla's permit and my own was last Thursday; both approved.
was tesla aware of these additions? (wondering how the "add no new loads" comes into play here) and did you do your install(s) in the window between tesla finishing their install and inspection date?

was tesla aware of these additions? (wondering how the "add no new loads" comes into play here) and did you do your install(s) in the window between tesla finishing their install and inspection date?
Yes, the Tesla field personnel were aware of the additions. The electricians doing the new distribution panel installation were willing to pull my new cables into place from where I had staged them in the wall cavity and leave them capped off. They even wired the ground and neutral wires of my cables to their respective bars.

The electricians warned that having capped off cables could be a problem for inspection which is why I wanted to run my own permit in parallel so I could have the new breakers installed. Also, I knew that there would be a "no additional loads" sticker on the panel, so I wanted my breakers to be installed before inspection, as justified by my own load calculations. The field personnel who came to prep for the inspection (adding labels, etc.) were all aware and took photos to send back, but I did not explicitly try to get approval from the Project Advisor primarily because he would hardly ever respond to me.

I did the installation work myself because I expected it would be unlikely that I could find an electrician who would do it. In addition, installation of the 50A cooktop circuit was tricky because the circuit was already partially present from the original home construction but currently capped off in a junction box over the kitchen. I needed to do some tricky fishing down a wall cavity to get it to the crawl space to reach the kitchen island. I made several trips into the attic and crawl space to get this done.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder
My coordination was easier because I just ran the new Romex for the heat pump water heater into the same wall cavity where all the other home circuits went to the old MSP, including the partially existing cooktop circuit. Per my request the electricians mounted the new distribution panel directly above the old MSP so all the home circuits could be pulled in through the back and reach the new breakers without having to splice the cables. I had carefully measured to verify that the main breaker in the new panel would be within the 6'7" height limit.