Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding loads / that darn sticker.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a few others posters, I need to add a load for a new Tesla Model 3 to either the backed up or not-backed up panel on my Tesla solar. But that darn "Do not add new loads" sticker is on BOTH of them.

I can attempt to call Tesla to get them to send an electrician but I shudder at the potential wait time just to get someone to take my call, much less actually come here.

The Tesla vehicle sales guys have all said "um we dunno call a regular electrician".

What have you all done when faced with this? Contact Tesla or have you found a local electrician who was willing to add the circuit despite the big honking sticker on either panel?

If you post pictures of all the panels, (door open, showing all breakers, identify main breaker if any) and a one-line diagram (how the different boxes are connected by feeders), I/we could probably tell you whether the stickers were properly specified, or just added blindly.

Cheers, Wayne

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Ok sure, thanks. I'll take those tomorrow. Greatly appreciate any guidance.

Either way, they're on now, and I'm personally not qualified enough to add loads to a panel. I'm comfortable enough with junction boxes and 110V, the panel is a bridge too far. Have you heard of licensed but non-tesla electricians working on panels despite that sticker?

If you're willing to trust random people on the internet, then you are qualified enough to remove inappropriate stickers from the dead front, if that would help you with finding an electrician. : - )

A good electrician will be able to understand the rules governing the ESS (energy storage system) and independently determine whether the stickers should be there or not, but finding a good electrician is likely harder and more expensive that finding an otherwise adequate electrician.

Cheers, Wayne