Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding My Car to Tesla Account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally received a copy of my registration and immediately went to the Tesla website to set up my account and ADD MY CAR. However, when I typed in my VIN, the site said, "Unable to Claim Ownership." I have the registration. I have the purchase agreement. I have the Vehicle Transfer and Reassignment Form. I don't understand!?!?

Go to the section of Tesla's website where you can build a car, click on the chat icon located in the lower left hand corner, fill out the form and submit it. Once you get connected with an agent, explain what you're trying to do, the error you're seeing, where you purchased your vehicle from and what paperwork you have. The agent will likely transfer you to another agent, have someone contact you via email or they'll give you a specific email to contact. The person you end up speaking with (by way of chat or email) after this transfer occurs will likely ask you for all of your paperwork (or specify what they would like copies of) so that they can verify that you are indeed the new owner of the vehicle. Once they verify you own the vehicle, they'll release it from the previous owner's account/you'll be able to add it to yours. Good luck!

I'm in the same boat. The car was paid off over a week ago and Tesla finance still has not released the car to be re-assigned (to me).

What I find interesting Tesla is restricting my full use of the car. I legally own the car and have no financial relationship with Tesla. They are doing this because somebody else has a financial relationship with Tesla and I assume the car is collateral? It is a very strange situation.

I'm in the same boat. The car was paid off over a week ago and Tesla finance still has not released the car to be re-assigned (to me).

What I find interesting Tesla is restricting my full use of the car. I legally own the car and have no financial relationship with Tesla. They are doing this because somebody else has a financial relationship with Tesla and I assume the car is collateral? It is a very strange situation.

I believe this only happens when the previous owner fails to remove/unlink their sold Tesla from their Tesla account. I know a number of folks who have bought used Teslas (and added them to their new Tesla accounts) without encountering a problem.

I think it is unique to tesla specific financing. The seller has been very responsive. Tesla will not let him remove it from his account. He gets the same error I get when trying to add the car.

This is my 4th tesla and second private deal. I suspect its the Tesla financing.