Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding Next Gen seats to an older S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did the swap to. From performance Seats 2014 to next gen 2016
I did not only changed the front seats but back seats and side bolsters.
I used the wiring harnas from old seat on the New seats. It is easy to do, all you change is under the seat and there is no need to open the seat. You just need to remove the bottom side panels (2 screws)
As I had a complete Interior I also changed all the door panels and ceiling (from tan to black)

I tried Ebay and craigslist and never see any for sale. Maybe gray just isn't very popular.... if anyone has any pointers to find them, please let me know.

I did the swap to. From performance Seats 2014 to next gen 2016
I did not only changed the front seats but back seats and side bolsters.
I used the wiring harnas from old seat on the New seats. It is easy to do, all you change is under the seat and there is no need to open the seat. You just need to remove the bottom side panels (2 screws)
As I had a complete Interior I also changed all the door panels and ceiling (from tan to black)

As I'd posted in another thread, I was in the process of trying to add Next Gen front seats to my 2014 Model S. I had missed the window for Tesla to do it (and I didn't want to pay over $6,000...), but this is my one bugaboo with our December 2014 build: the seats are not that comfortable for long drives (which we do several times each year).

I found a set of Next Gens here in the SF Bay Area. Unfortunately for me, I didn't recognize till after I got home that one was a 2015 vintage (passenger), while the drivers seat was built in December 2016....

Any idea what this extra green/yellow cable not attached to anything is for?
image003.png

2keB Thanks for the pictures of the 4 cables needed to do the refresh. My service center sold me 2 of the driver’s side cables which only work on one side because of pin assignments. I have been trying to convenience the SC for weeks now that there has to be a second cable that is different from the driver’s side. Tesla has taken out the patch cable 1x MS SEAT HRN PATCH NONMEM- SEAL TO UNSEAL (1139367-00-A) for the passenger seat out of their electronics parts catalog. This is why they were having trouble finding it. When I gave them the number it does not show that it exists. However when the SC checked the Fremont plant inventory it shows they have 292 in stock. I am crossing my fingers that they will ship me one so I don’t have to go the route of splicing wires.

So if anyone is doing this refresh give the part numbers to your SC and see if they can order.

2x ASY, JUMPER, SIAB-SEAL TO UNSEAL, MDLS? (1116327-00-A)
1x MS SEAT HRN PATCH NONMEM- SEAL TO UNSEAL (1139367-00-A)
1x MS SEAT HRN PATCH MEMORY-SEAL TO UNSEAL (1139366-00-A)

It will save a lot of hassles trying to figure out wiring diagrams etc.
@Topgun66 Did they end up shipping these to you? I finally got a hold of some 2016 front seats and want to see if they ever did. I'll probably head to the service center in a few days to see if I can get these adapter connectors.

Hello good people. I have a 2013 TMS P85+ and I would really like to upgrade my front seats. I have the opportunity to buy a pair of seats as seen in the picture below, but will they work in my car? They are ventilated, so I'm not sure if everything will work... I guess a Tesla SC will need to reconfigure the system in my car at least... Any help and pointers to what needs to be done/bought will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Regards from Norway.

IMG_3014.jpg

You should be aware that policies and attitudes shift. What one owner was able to get the SC to do when Tesla was more interested in pleasing each owner may not be the same today as it was then. You could find yourself with different seats bolted in and even after figuring the wiring out and connecting, you can't get the programming update you need to maximize the benefit of the seat.

Maybe you should go by your SC (with a basket of muffins) and coordinate (a promise) that if you do your part with installation and wiring configuration that they would be willing to update your car's profile to recognize the seat. ??? Before you buy the seats.

You should be aware that policies and attitudes shift. What one owner was able to get the SC to do when Tesla was more interested in pleasing each owner may not be the same today as it was then. You could find yourself with different seats bolted in and even after figuring the wiring out and connecting, you can't get the programming update you need to maximize the benefit of the seat.

Maybe you should go by your SC (with a basket of muffins) and coordinate (a promise) that if you do your part with installation and wiring configuration that they would be willing to update your car's profile to recognize the seat. ??? Before you buy the seats.

Yes, that is probably a good idea. I´ll go and talk to the guys at my local SC "armed" with some muffins and my fingers crossed.
Thanks!

Reactions: Akikiki
There are a few component changes, additional wiring modifications and software configurations that will need to be changed. Even if you do that it is very likely that not everything will be functional. I wouldn’t not expect the SC to even try this as it is way more involved than changing out the seats and changing the firmware.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on 2016 interior. I was in contact with service center here, and they can order the adapter parts.

So are these still correct parts:

1116327-00-A - ASY, JUMPER, SIAB-SEAL TO UNSEAL, MDLS?

1116327-00-A - ASY, JUMPER, SIAB-SEAL TO UNSEAL, MDLS?

1139367-00-A - MS SEAT HRN PATCH NONMEM- SEAL TO UNSEAL

1139366-00-A - MS SEAT HRN PATCH MEMORY-SEAL TO UNSEAL

A bit offtopic, but I want to do repair my ventilated seats (leather has many wrinkles) at the leather shop. Is there anything to be aware off when removing the seat? Or is it simply power down vehicle (via the menu), remove seat, install, power up? I want just to be sure that there is no airbar warning light or something like this after that. The shop knows what to do with seats and leather, but they didn't work on a tesla before.

Regarding my planned upgrade to the seats I posted an image of earlier: I have visited my local SC, and they would not help. They could order the adapters mentioned earlier in this thread, but would not help with any firmware update. They also warned about the gazillion other problems I would encounter if I was to go through with this.
I got the two seats cheap, so I decided to buy them and spend some time trying to compare the wiring and so on. I figure that if I can get the normal operations and memory to work, I can always connect the cooling fans separately (getting power from the cigarette lighter for example) and just use two switches hidden somewhere to turn them on and off manually.

If I’m lucky the rest of the wire colours are the same, as the case was for Tc911. Then it will be a matter of connecting them all using some waterproof connectors.

Wish me luck!

• Love
Reactions: Rockwell
Good luck. And keep the positive attitude. you just never know what could happen once you have them installed. Would not surprise me if some time later after your car has been in the SC again (maybe more than once) and some tech without making a bid deal, just might see these newer seats and enable them thinking its an oversight. Good things happen to those folks pure of heart. You are pure of heart, aren't you? :)