Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding powerwall 2 to existing Enphase system w/storage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have had a 2K Enphase system up and running since April of 2010. About a year and a half ago Enphase asked if we would like to have their new battery storage system installed on our system for them to monitor and test. This was at no cost to us. Of course we said yes. They installed 3 batteries in our garage that we control and monitor though an app to store energy during off peak and provide energy during on peak rate times. We looking to add 2 powerwalls and possible some more panels/inverters to our system. The enphase batteries do not provide any "back-up" function and I really want to have that available. We are having our site survey done today. Will update with results and recommendations later.

I have an Enphase system (M215 inverters) since 2012 and recently had mine upgraded with a powerwall. It works great as a backup. With the enphase batteries you have, it will be interesting to see how they work together. If it works well, then thats a good way to incrimentally expand storage I guess. The only down side you may see is some extra round trip efficiency losses if the enphase batteries discharge into the powerwall if you are using It for peak shaving rather than backup only mode.

By the way, if you do go ahead and add extra modules and inverters, I'd be interested to see what they propose there. I was going to do the same here in CA, but we have this new rule 21 thing and you can only use the IQ inverters, which I was told don't mix with the M and S series.