TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Adding speakers and sub to non-pup X?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Terthen, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Terthen

Terthen Member

For those of you with non-PUP X, has anyone tried to add a subwoofer or speakers for the 3rd row (in the lift gate)?

I was happy with the non-pup audio until we got our 3, now wondering if I could at least add a sub to the X. I'd be looking for a very basic setup, not something that costs like $1000+... but not sure if this is something that's possible with the stock system.

Also if it rounds out my knowledge level, the last time I did any car audio was about 20 years ago when I installed a CD player into my parent's car.

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've seen a few threads on after-market upgrades, but none for a while. Do a forum search. Below are a few hits:

BTW, you wouldn't want to put anything into the Lift Gate because of lack of space and it would throw off the weight distribution, which would affect the auto-open and auto-close ability.

The PUP upgrade puts the sub-woofer in the trunk, by the rear passenger wheel well. You should probably add your equipment in that area.

Experience: Model X Reus Audio Upgrade
    Does anyone have a Model X MCU2 Wiring Diagram?
    High-performance aftermarket audio in a Tesla

3. Terthen

Terthen Member

Thanks! Definitely did do a search previously, overall looking for more basic/cheaper upgrade (maybe just a subwoofer at this point). A post I found at Teslatap, seemed to suggest premium audio out speakers in the hatch: Audio Systems for the Tesla Model S and Model X | TeslaTap

But doesn’t quite seem to be the case? Anyhow since hatch has a cloth area it also gave me the impression some speakers would fit nicely there. Good thing I’m the driver and get all the extra speakers up front!