TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adding TBT Navigation on Non-Tech Cars After Delivery

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by paco3791, Jan 13, 2015.

1. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

There have been some inconsistent reports in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/40262-How-rare-are-Model-S-without-the-Tech-Package
    about owners being able to purchase the Navigon Turn-By-Turn Navigation feature, separate from the rest of the tech package, after delivery. Prices from $200-1000 have been quoted and there are unconfirmed pre-requisites such as the upgraded sound system which apparently puts more memory behind the center stack screen.

Just wanted to put this up in a separate thread to see if we can get further information on what the specifics are and let any Non-Tech owners out there know about this potential option. As a Non-Tech owner myself I'm on the fence, wasn't missing the navigation before, but if the new features are included the value proposition changes. Anyone who has contacted Tesla about this please share.

2. wayner

wayner Active Member

Why wouldn't you just use Waze? IMHO it is way better than Tesla's or any other factory installed Nav. I have the tech package and I am using Waze on my phone instead. The Tesal Nav supposedly has traffic info but it doesn't do a good job in adjusting arrival time. And it doesn't have the other features of Waze. Use your phone or mount a 7" tablet won your dash and install Waze. You can also install Spotify or Slacker for audio, or install Plex and stream audio or video from your home's Plex server.

3. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

I guess I am more specifically interested in the new trip energy planning features that are part of 6.1, just turn by turn directions has has never been a seller for me since, as you say, I can do that on my phone quite well.

4. randompersonx

randompersonx Member

I have the Tech package, but still end up using Waze 50% of the time. The Tesla system is certainly convenient to use, but it gets the traffic wrong compared to Waze far too often, and just doesn't pick great routes most of the time.

The range estimation feature is pretty cool though, and I would probably use that for a road trip in a pinch. Then again, Florida is flat, so the math should be easy to do :)