Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adding TBT Navigation on Non-Tech Cars After Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There have been some inconsistent reports in this thread: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/40262-How-rare-are-Model-S-without-the-Tech-Package
about owners being able to purchase the Navigon Turn-By-Turn Navigation feature, separate from the rest of the tech package, after delivery. Prices from $200-1000 have been quoted and there are unconfirmed pre-requisites such as the upgraded sound system which apparently puts more memory behind the center stack screen.

Just wanted to put this up in a separate thread to see if we can get further information on what the specifics are and let any Non-Tech owners out there know about this potential option. As a Non-Tech owner myself I'm on the fence, wasn't missing the navigation before, but if the new features are included the value proposition changes. Anyone who has contacted Tesla about this please share.

Why wouldn't you just use Waze? IMHO it is way better than Tesla's or any other factory installed Nav. I have the tech package and I am using Waze on my phone instead. The Tesal Nav supposedly has traffic info but it doesn't do a good job in adjusting arrival time. And it doesn't have the other features of Waze. Use your phone or mount a 7" tablet won your dash and install Waze. You can also install Spotify or Slacker for audio, or install Plex and stream audio or video from your home's Plex server.

I have the Tech package, but still end up using Waze 50% of the time. The Tesla system is certainly convenient to use, but it gets the traffic wrong compared to Waze far too often, and just doesn't pick great routes most of the time.

The range estimation feature is pretty cool though, and I would probably use that for a road trip in a pinch. Then again, Florida is flat, so the math should be easy to do :)