Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Costs on Pickup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe premature to ask, but wondering what additional costs and charges are there on pickup of a Tesla Model 3 (based on Model S and X)?

My order shows a $1,300 "Destination and Documentation Fee"

Are there any other fees that a typical dealer would charge? Things such as the classic "Administration Fees", OMVIC Fees, BS Fees, Headlight Fluid Top Up Fee, "Didn't request but they will charge you anyways Rust Proofing Fee", Registration, Plates etc?

So is all that included in the $1300 or in addition?

All in addition to the $1300. The $1300 is basically the same as the conventional dealership's 'Freight and PDI'.

Air tax, OMVIC, tire fee, plates and registration (birthday related) are all additional charges.

For those financing the $1300 is included in the TOTAL price and does not have to be paid up front. The other charges do have to be paid prior to or at delivery along with all taxes. Unlike conventional automaker 'Factory Financing' Tesla does not permit taxes to be financed.

Last edited:
All in addition to the $1300. The $1300 is basically the same as the conventional dealership's 'Freight and PDI'.

Air tax, OMVIC, tire fee, plates and registration (birthday related) are all additional charges.

For those financing the $1300 is included in the TOTAL price and does not have to be paid up front. The other charges do have to be paid prior to or at delivery along with all taxes. Unlike conventional automaker 'Factory Financing' Tesla does not permit taxes to be financed.

Awesome thanks.

In terms of Taxes, do you mean that the HST needs to be paid out of pocket (as opposed to be rolled into the loan)

Awesome thanks.

In terms of Taxes, do you mean that the HST needs to be paid out of pocket (as opposed to be rolled into the loan)

From what I understand yes they do. From the 'Order Agreement':

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuration. This purchase price does not include taxes and official or government fees. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these additional taxes and fees.

This is just my understanding. We need clarification.

Last edited:
Baloney - I financed my taxes. Unless there has been a change related to the Model 3, I doubt this has changed.

From what I understand yes they do. From the 'Order Agreement':

Purchase Price, Taxes and Official Fees. The purchase price of the Vehicle is indicated in your Vehicle Configuration. This purchase price does not include taxes and official or government fees. Because these taxes and fees are constantly changing and will depend on many factors, such as where you register the Vehicle, they will be calculated closer to the time of delivery and indicated on your Final Price Sheet. You are responsible for paying these additional taxes and fees.

This is just my understanding. We need clarification.

Hey Sandy,

That paragraph just means the purchase price you see online and in the configurator is excluding taxes and that you'll have to pay taxes on that purchase price depending on your region. The taxes can be rolled into the loan.

Reactions: 03DSG
Hey Sandy,

That paragraph just means the purchase price you see online and in the configurator is excluding taxes and that you'll have to pay taxes on that purchase price depending on your region. The taxes can be rolled into the loan.

Cool. Thanks Tony. Appreciate it.

Baloney - I financed my taxes. Unless there has been a change related to the Model 3, I doubt this has changed.

Did you bother to read my second post above your head? Like the last line. Where I said “This is just my understanding. We need clarification.”

Tony kindly provided clarification. You were just rude.

OMVIC fee of $10, tire stewardship fee of I believe $4.25 a tire and then your vehicle plating fee $27 (for new plates) and annual registration fee of $120(or part thereof depending on your birthdate) would be the additional costs in Ontario. Tesla does not charge any other fees besides the $1300 CAD I understand.
Strange as I had none of that. I even received a new plate and was part of the $1000 delivery fee. Nothing extra unless you buy an accessory.

While possibly true I picked up my car in NC and they paid no extra fee the TN $100 EV fee. I was told that was part of that document fee. Definitely easier and cheaper than any other car I have bought
We get screwed here in Ontario.

On a related note, does Tesla do the whole, "sit with the finance manager, while he tries to sell you tire insurance, valve stems, headlight fluid refill prepaid service, horn warranty, life insurance, overpriced floormats that should be included in the car and other stuff" that makes buying a car in Ontario worse than going to the dentist?

We get screwed here in Ontario.

On a related note, does Tesla do the whole, "sit with the finance manager, while he tries to sell you tire insurance, valve stems, headlight fluid refill prepaid service, horn warranty, life insurance, overpriced floormats that should be included in the car and other stuff" that makes buying a car in Ontario worse than going to the dentist?
No none of that for us. In and out in 50 minutes and at least 45 of that was setting up key cards, phones and an overview of the car for the wife.