Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

More questions.....

I would like both myself and my wife to have entry and control over the car through our own phones and the Tesla App, is this possible?

Im thinking she’s going to need her own account with Tesla is that right? Obviously using her phone, the car would recognise her driver profile and adjust accordingly right?

advice greatly welcomed as usual.

Thanks.

Hi there - yes if you want her to have her own seat settings etc you would just set her phone up as a key (same Tesla account for app login) and then just assign her phone key to a new user profile within the car.

that way, when she uses her key to unlock the car it’ll move to her position, versus yours when you unlock.

I personally set my partners phone up as a secondary key, but assigned both my phone and hers to my driver profile - it stops any confusion over who’s phone is closest when unlocking etc, and alswaus means I get first refusal on driving it, too - which were both happy about! Ha

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Hi there - yes if you want her to have her own seat settings etc you would just set her phone up as a key (same Tesla account for app login) and then just assign her phone key to a new user profile within the car.

that way, when she uses her key to unlock the car it’ll move to her position, versus yours when you unlock.

I personally set my partners phone up as a secondary key, but assigned both my phone and hers to my driver profile - it stops any confusion over who’s phone is closest when unlocking etc, and alswaus means I get first refusal on driving it, too - which were both happy about! Ha
Hi, how do you mean “first refusal?”

If for example, my wife went out to the car first with the baby and unlocked on approach with her phone BUT she wasn’t actually going to drive, I was. How would that work? Surely the car would think she’s gonna drive and set the driving profile accordingly?

You can keep it simple, or make it complicated and unreliable by all the issues posted here.

To keep it simple, share the same account details on the phone and don't assign a profile to the phone. You then manually select it from the screen if you swap drivers.

One thing that I heard about using different accounts for different users in other countries, is that the option to call for assistance is not present other than for main account. Don't know how reliable that information is.

Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
You can keep it simple, or make it complicated and unreliable by all the issues posted here.

To keep it simple, share the same account details on the phone and don't assign a profile to the phone. You then manually select it from the screen if you swap drivers.

One thing that I heard about using different accounts for different users in other countries, is that the option to call for assistance is not present other than for main account. Don't know how reliable that information is.
Good point

Yup, just to be clear, access to the car from the app, and pairing a phone (or card) to a profile are separate things.

It may be that the best fit for you is that neither of your phones are paired to either profile. You can just change profiles from the main screen then.

Yup, just to be clear, access to the car from the app, and pairing a phone (or card) to a profile are separate things.

It may be that the best fit for you is that neither of your phones are paired to either profile. You can just change profiles from the main screen then.
So set up the app on my wife’s phone also under my details, which will give her the access but then driver profile obtained from main screen?

Could easy entry still be used?

Yup, works for me and my wife.

Pretty sure easy entry is a pseudo-profile that either profile, or both, can use so you should end up with the same result.

Easy to test though.

Mine's a company car, so not particularly easy to add accounts. We're using the same account for the app without any issues.

When I got my car, I setup both my wife's phone and mine to login to the same Tesla account. It worked fine for a week or two, but then we both starting getting random errors telling us we had been logged out of the account. I got no help from Tesla (no surprise there) but after some Googling I found others with similar problems who had narrowed it down to having two phones linked to the same account.

So, I created another account for her and got Tesla account support to assign the car to that account too and the problem went away. Having said that, I think most couples just share an account with both phones logging in to it and have no issues - so who knows what's going on!