Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

additional HUD - HOMELINK question(s)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys, I am still having issues with the (latest) HUD and HOMELINK and apologize coming back again (and again and again,...) for help!
My issues are that usually when I start driving and try to use Voice Commands, I get a message No Connection so I try again and the screen goes blank/black for maybe 2 minutes that the white Tesla logo appears and the HUD is "up and running" so I try Voice Command again and the same thing happens. This is not only annoying but also frustrating because I recently moved and am not totally familiar with the area so I depended on Navigation to get me where I want to go and sometimes the HUD "disappears" and I don't know where/which way to go.
Any thoughts suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.
The other issue I have is with Homelink that I access by Voice Command "Controls", the pressing the "house" icon and then pressing Inbound or Outbound.
This is not a viable option to access Homelink being that I have to drive maybe 1K feet from my garage space to the front gate and an pass horizontally across a where cars Enter and Exit the complex so I really can't keep my eyes off the road for long to reach across the display to press the "house" and then have a bout 2 seconds before the Inbound and Outbound icons disappear and I am doing this while I do not have right of way for Inbound and Outbound. Thank you for allowing me to fret, I don't think there is a viable solution besides and another release to correct this issue by moving the Homelink icon to the bottom left corner of the display (which would eliminate a MAJOR step in accessing the Income - Outgoing icons.
Which leads me to my last question which is occasions (may be 3-4 times some the new HUD has been installed_, the Homelink and Income and Outgoing icons ARE prominently displayed on the bottom left corner of the HUD.
Can someone possible explain why this happens so that I may be able to replicate it and no keep bothering you guys with the same question, over and over and .....
Thank you
Bob

Sorry for the confusion Ape, it appears that CONFUSION is my middle name!
When I say HUD, I was referring to display that came with the Model Y and the continuously (software) updates that Tesla has issued.
By "new display", I am referring to, I believe that it was a January update, when the layout of the display was totally changed not just tweaked with small changes made.
Thank you
Bob

This is kind of a disjointed post; it might help clarifying terminology first. You don’t have a factory original Heads Up Display you have a 15 inch touchscreen. There isn’t (to my knowledge) an “inbound” “outbound” homelink button just one icon that does both depending on whether you are coming or going. You didn’t get a new display you are referring to an OTA update that changed the GUI layout.

It sounds like you have two issues:
1. Your touchscreen reboots when you try to use voice commands to control homelink. This sounds like an issue you would need to contact the SC to resolve
2. You don’t want to use the onscreen icons to engage homelink because you feel it’s unsafe while driving. So, can you just do it while you are stopped in your drive way, or just enable the automatic open/close features based on you GPS location?

Thank you for (trying to) straightening me out Geech and netting my post to 2 issues.
1. That me "touchscreen reboots when <I> try to use voice commands to control homelink" that 'sounds like an issue <I> would need to contact the SC to resolve". I had a service call the technician stopped, I would have preferred going to the dealerships service center, and we couldn't replicate the issue.
2. I "don’t want to use the onscreen icons to engage homelink because <I> feel it’s unsafe while driving. So, can you just do it while you are stopped in your drive way". It's not that simple Greech, I am at parking level 2 and have to drive maybe a 1,000 feet and have to diagonally cross potential incoming cars, that have the right of way, to get to the security gate.
So I have to Voice Command Controls, that I can do while in my parking space and start driving toward the security gate to open Homelink because Homelink only stays open for roughly 2 seconds. So yes, I could drive right to the Outbound security gate, stop, click on the house icon and Homelink will come up. That is what I have been doing but life would be easier if the Homelink InBound-OutBound icons stay open for more than 2 seconds
Your other option was "enable the automatic open/close features based on you GPS location".
I am not familiar with this Greech. Is there a Telsa or YouTube link that would explain this?
I don't think that I would be able to apply it to OutBound but I definitely am looking for a better option for InBound being that the apartment complex is on a VERY busy street (5 lanes) and when I turn into the complex, the security gate is maybe 50 feet from where I turn, reach across the display, hit the house icon, then Incoming which may not make any cars waiting to enter that are behind me happy.
And thank you again for straightening me out Greech.
Bob