Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Range in a new LR RWD Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new order page for the Model 3 shows a range of 523kms for the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive Premium Model 3.
The first production LR RWD Model 3's were 499kms.

Has something physically changed? Or just a software change? And if so, when do our early Model 3's get this update?

The new order page for the Model 3 shows a range of 523kms for the Long Range Rear Wheel Drive Premium Model 3.
The first production LR RWD Model 3's were 499kms.

Has something physically changed? Or just a software change? And if so, when do our early Model 3's get this update?

Apparently there will be an increase in range and power pushed out to all M3's presume through upcoming OTA.

$35,000 Tesla Model 3 Available Now

But he got it slightly wrong. The increased range is only for the LR RWD. The increased peak power is for all Model 3s.

We’re also excited to announce that we’re implementing a number of firmware upgrades for both new and existing customers. These upgrades will increase the range of the Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3 to 325 miles, increase the top speed of Model 3 Performance to 162 mph, and add an average of approximately 5% peak power to all Model 3 vehicles.

The updates will add roughly 5 percent peak power to all Model 3 vehicles, Tesla says.

Wow, this is great!

ICE cars get slower the longer you own them, we get 5% more power (without having to buy/install performance air filter and exhaust and buy aftermarket software)! And instead of taking a hit to the range, we get more of that too!

If I were more ignorant, I wouldn't think that was possible. o_O

Its a software change that releases March 15. The cars software thinks it has 500km available at 100% charge because that's what it's told. Now the rest of the battery will be unlocked through a software update.

I'm assuming they undersold the range in an effort to see the wear and tear on the batteries in terms of warranty and stable battery output. They decided it's okay to "unlock" rest of the battery(range) and give it a higher battery output(performance)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Its a software change that releases March 15. The cars software thinks it has 500km available at 100% charge because that's what it's told. Now the rest of the battery will be unlocked through a software update.

I'm assuming they undersold the range in an effort to see the wear and tear on the batteries in terms of warranty and stable battery output. They decided it's okay to unlock rest of the battery(range) and give it a higher battery output(performance)

There is no unused battery capacity. They just asked the EPA to underrate the car. (If I recall correctly the real EPA test showed the range as ~335 miles.) So even at 325 they are still underreporting the actual range estimate.

There is no unused battery capacity. They just asked the EPA to underrate the car. (If I recall correctly the real EPA test showed the range as ~335 miles.) So even at 325 they are still underreporting the actual range estimate.
You didn't understand what I said. Car thought at 100% you had 500km of range which is true. Now the software update is telling the car there's actually 523km available and they told EPA to reevaluate it. That's how software works.

@YusufT You're saying the Wh/Mi internal calculation would change correct? That's my guess is all they're doing.

I highly doubt they're doing this, but maybe they could reduce the "anti-brick" buffer a bit?
I'm not 100% sure how they're going to do it, but the software doesn't just figure things out on it's own. You have to TELL it what to do with what. The battery is the same as when you bought the car, but now let's say the variable usable_kw went from 73 to 75. So now based on that information car will now show a range of 523 instead of 500 when you charge to 100%. The Wh/Mi calculation should stay the same. That just shows you your efficiency. That 75Kw was always there, but the software/car did not know about it because it was told otherwise.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
You didn't understand what I said.

Maybe you don't understand what you wrote:

They decided it's okay to "unlock" rest of the battery(range) and give it a higher battery output(performance)

There is nothing being unlocked. A car today will be able to drive exactly the same distance as the car will be able to after the 3/15 software update that reports additional range. The only difference is the range estimate.

The battery is the same as when you bought the car, but now let's say the variable usable_kw went from 73 to 75. So now based on that information car will now show a range of 523 instead of 500 when you charge to 100%. The Wh/Mi calculation should stay the same. That just shows you your efficiency. That 75Kw was always there, but the software/car did not know about it because it was told otherwise.

Nope, the only thing they are going to change is the Wh/mile figure so that additional range is reported based on the battery capacity. (They artificially increased the Wh/mile calculation from the actual results of the EPA tests.)

Dude what you wrote makes no sense and you contradicted yourself within the same sentence. You said all they will change is wh/mi figure and then the additional range is based on the battery capacity? What? Do you even know how software works or are you talking out of your ass?

You just don't get it, try doing the math. The battery capacity portion of the equation isn't going to change, only the Wh/mile portion is going to change to report additional range being available. But there is nothing additional being unlocked or made available. They are just making the calculation come closer to the actual test results.