Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional Vehicle Information in 2020.4.1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just updated (2019 MS Raven LR.) Mine showed the Autopilot computer as 'Full self-driving computer' instead of version number.

o754FID.jpg

It is interesting how the S and 3 have reversed the order of where the induction/permanent magnet motors are located. I never noticed that before.

Hey there. Love all your informative post. Regarding the above highlighted comment, what are your thoughts on why all 2019 performance models (with the Performance Upgrade Package) were rated for 310 miles; while the current 2020 performance models (with the PUP) are now rated for 299 miles. If Tesla was indeed able to improve efficiency with all 2020 Model 3’s, shouldn't we also see a range increase in this particular model/configuration?
I believe they are making the rating more realistic for performance vehicles wearing sticky tires. I don’t think I’ve seen any performance owners get anywhere near the 310mi figure preciously used.

I believe they are making the rating more realistic for performance vehicles wearing sticky tires. I don’t think I’ve seen any performance owners get anywhere near the 310mi figure preciously used.

Yeah, that’s what I was thinking as well. If we go on the premise that the 2020 vehicles are a little more efficient than the 2019’s, then Tesla probably should have shown the 2019 Performance with PUP to have a max range somewhere around 287-288 miles. Doesn’t really matter either way. I doubt any 2019 Performance PUP owners are getting close to 287 (let alone 310) miles under real world conditions, just like any 2020 Performance PUP owners won’t actually get the stated 299 miles.

OK. Back on topic... :D

what are your thoughts on why all 2019 performance models (with the Performance Upgrade Package) were rated for 310 miles; while the current 2020 performance models (with the PUP) are now rated for 299 miles. If Tesla was indeed able to improve efficiency with all 2020 Model 3’s, shouldn't we also see a range increase in this particular model/configuration?

Previously, Performance was regarded as a “trim level” of AWD. The EPA allows you to quote the range/efficiency of the vehicle which makes up more than 66% of sales, and ignore any trim levels which have a low take rate (like the Performance 20”).

So previously in 2019, Tesla was not obligated to quote the actual range of the 20” Performance. What was being quoted was the range of the AWD or Performance Stealth (which used to be identical vehicles with identical motors). There is no prior year rating for a Performance 20”. When you bought a Performance with PUP previously, the 310 mile rating it had was not for that actual vehicle - it was for the Performance Stealth (or AWD with aeros).

Now that the Performance has a different rear motor than the AWD, in 2020, this exception no longer applies, and furthermore Tesla has decided to just call out each trim level (18”, 19”, 20”) individually.

If there had been a rating for the Performance with PUP in prior years, it would have had a result lower than 299 (probably would have been something like 290 miles).

There we go. Now the attachment works. Thanks! The question remains of whether this visible range increase affects 2019 models too, and whether it’s really real or just a “visual” update because of updated EPA methodology for the 2020.

Is the increase range anything to do with the increase in cold tyre pressures (42 to 45psi) found on some 2020 vehicle stickers?

Does this upgrade remove Track Mode from the P3-? Just wondering given that it is only available now with the 20” package per their website. My 2020 P3- shows Track Mode, although I can’t imagine I would ever have occasion to use it. Just got the performance to avoid the year end delivery rush...At least it was only 2K extra.

It appears that they are now available (at a much increased price) on the Tesla website by ordering a Performance model without clicking the "Performance Upgrade" box. Same price with or without the "Performance Upgrade" checkbox, so no idea why anyone wouldn't click it?

Is that similar to "Acceleration Boost" you can buy later for $2k?

My range has gone from 307 to 300! (M3 LR AWD, built Oct 2018) What can I do in terms of driving or charging or anything to get it back up to the 310 I paid for and never saw?

• Funny
Reactions: Curb71
The version you were offered was not lowered, and even if it were the Performance suspension (which it wasn’t)- it’s only a tiny bit lower. In fact, it’s got very slightly more ground clearance than my 2016 VW Golf R. You probably should have gotten that Performance “stealth” car, but... if you’re content with the acceleration of your LR AWD then it would have been a wasted $2000.

Thanks for the information. I am, so far, quite happy with the fastest accelerating car I have owned! If I get dissatisfied in the future, it looks like they'll let me give them the 2 grand to go even faster. Who knows, they may even improve the acceleration.

I'm kind of curious that for SR+ owners it's saying "premium speakers" and no external amp. I get the no external amp because we don't have the sub, but do the A-pillar and door speakers also use an external amp? (Maybe that's why there is a difference in the wire harness...)

Does this upgrade remove Track Mode from the P3-? Just wondering given that it is only available now with the 20” package per their website. My 2020 P3- shows Track Mode, although I can’t imagine I would ever have occasion to use it. Just got the performance to avoid the year end delivery rush...At least it was only 2K extra.

I doubt Tesla is going to remove anything from your car. It would spark outrage. It remains to be seen if the new "base" Performance 3 has Track Mode, or if it really is removed without the upgrade package. I imagine what you see now is exactly what you get. Base 3P without Track Mode or 162mph top speed. Most people won't care, though you'd be mad to buy the "base" Performance 3 anyway.

Is that similar to "Acceleration Boost" you can buy later for $2k?

My range has gone from 307 to 300! (M3 LR AWD, built Oct 2018) What can I do in terms of driving or charging or anything to get it back up to the 310 I paid for and never saw?

Similar, but not the same. There's some other performance enhancements in the Performance model that aren't in Acceleration Boost, but I'll let the true performance hounds explain that.. I'm happy with my LR AWD non-anything.

As for range - there's 3 things you can do:
#1 - Relax and don't worry yourself about it. That number is just an estimate. You still have all the battery capacity you paid for.
#2 - Set the charging percentage to 90% and leave it there for a few weeks. Let the bricks rebalance their minor variations. Won't get you any more range, but will dial in the accuracy of the range estimate a bit.
#3 - See #1.