Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Additional wait for non-sig reservations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Considering putting down a Roadster 2020 deposit. Curious what people think the additional 200K "loan" to Tesla will get them on the sig reservation. Guessing it's mostly getting the car earlier - but how much earlier? I'll admit I'd love to be one of the first folks to get the car but balancing that against tying up $200K is tough esp. without having any idea how much earlier one might get it.

Thoughts?

TIA.
Tim

No one knows anything yet, other than founders reservation holders will get their cars first. The rest will have to wait.

Don't know how significant the extra money is to you but unless you have already put down the $50,000 you will be in the very back of line of everyone else who did. That could be another incentive to go for the founders edition if you want to get the car early.

No one knows anything yet, other than founders reservation holders will get their cars first. The rest will have to wait.

Don't know how significant the extra money is to you but unless you have already put down the $50,000 you will be in the very back of line of everyone else who did. That could be another incentive to go for the founders edition if you want to get the car early.

This.

Anyone have estimates on the total number of Roadster reservations so far? Data is limited of course, but I'm sure someone has made a more educated guess after combing through regulatory filings.

I can almost hear your whining already. Don't loan Tesla a dime. It is called a deposit. NO interest paid.

IF you can afford it. IF you believe in the Tesla Mission Statement - perhaps you should read it. Then consider getting a "founder edition". The Mission of Tesla

But please don't try to convince the rest of us how you loaned Tesla money and now you aren't getting the special treatment you are sure you deserve. AND Tesla was again late on your precious delivery. Many other exotics to choose from.:cool:
</rant>

[Sorry I happened to read your post and decided to rant, please forgive or ignore as you prefer and you are correct, I'm jealous as I can't afford one.]:rolleyes:

Founder/Sig roadster meant failed transmission and no sport.

Signature S meant no autopilot and slower charger.

Signature X meant autopilot 1 and 90 battery.

Signature 3 meant rwd only.

Founder Roadster 2 . . .

It depends on how many reservations they have. Typically cars like this are hand built and production is in the hundreds to low thousands per year. I would guess a year to build all the signature additions, and base models after that. My concern is the base version will be like the 35k model3 and delayed indefinitely due to low profit margins

• Informative
Reactions: Tic-tac-toe
It depends on how many reservations they have. Typically cars like this are hand built and production is in the hundreds to low thousands per year. I would guess a year to build all the signature additions, and base models after that. My concern is the base version will be like the 35k model3 and delayed indefinitely due to low profit margins
How can the Roadster have low profit margins?
It’s selling for 200k I doubt tesla is spending anywhere near 200K to build it.
I’d be surprised if the Roadster cost more to build than the Model X

How can the Roadster have low profit margins?
It’s selling for 200k I doubt tesla is spending anywhere near 200K to build it.
I’d be surprised if the Roadster cost more to build than the Model X

With low production numbers you don’t get the efficiency of mass production,
Ford has huge demand for the GT but only built 138 last year, and they sell for $450,000
This article gives a little insight into production Ford Only Built 138 GTs In 2017, Promises To Make Up Difference