Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Address errors for charging location list

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sparrow

S105/ Roadster 189
Dec 14, 2010
Marietta, GA
I continue to have issues with my car apparently waking up and not knowing that it is in my garage. The consequences of this is that the car does not charge at my preferred rate of charge rather it is charging at the maximum the HPWC will charge at. I also do not believe it is even starting the charge at the designated time since this morning I checked my car a half hour after it was suppose to start charging and it was aready done. For it to have been finished that soon it would have had to charge 70 miles worth of rated range in a half hour. This all seemed to become a problem after I got 5.9 and deleted all the erroneous charging locations (over 20) my car was showing.

Another note of interest is that my Android phone app shows the correct address for my car when it is sitting in my garage, but the charging location addresses do not include the correct address at all. There is, however, one charging address that the car seems to be at the most. Do the 2 systems(the phone app and car's navigation system) use a different data base to determine the address the car is sitting at?

Google maps in my car pins the correct map location when I'm at home but it refuses to acknowledge the correct house number, insisting on showing a house number that actually doesn't exist. That said, I've had zero charging problems.

Another note of interest is that my Android phone app shows the correct address for my car when it is sitting in my garage, but the charging location addresses do not include the correct address at all. There is, however, one charging address that the car seems to be at the most. Do the 2 systems(the phone app and car's navigation system) use a different data base to determine the address the car is sitting at?

Phone app shows the correct address (incl house #) for me, so there is something different with what Google maps sees/uses.

I continue to have issues with my car apparently waking up and not knowing that it is in my garage. The consequences of this is that the car does not charge at my preferred rate of charge rather it is charging at the maximum the HPWC will charge at. I also do not believe it is even starting the charge at the designated time since this morning I checked my car a half hour after it was suppose to start charging and it was aready done. For it to have been finished that soon it would have had to charge 70 miles worth of rated range in a half hour. This all seemed to become a problem after I got 5.9 and deleted all the erroneous charging locations (over 20) my car was showing.

Several people like you have reported "ghost" charging points near their regular, indoor charging point. What you are seeing must be a corollary of that. GPS signals are pretty weak indoors, even inside a wood frame house. Cell phone data assisted GPS technology has greatly improved this situation, but indoors still has a larger position error [Geometric Dilution Of Precision (GDOP) for geeks]. Some cars like the first Prii with GPS used wheel speed for distance and differential wheel speed for direction and did a great job of open loop position estimation when their (before cell aiding) GPS had a weak or no signal.

Even if Tesla did something as simple as using the last good GPS position (low GDOP), it would work better than the current firmware and would solve your problem.

Google maps in my car pins the correct map location when I'm at home but it refuses to acknowledge the correct house number, insisting on showing a house number that actually doesn't exist. That said, I've had zero charging problems.

Phone app shows the correct address (incl house #) for me, so there is something different with what Google maps sees/uses.

Don't know if this would help but this looks to be the way to report a map error with Google
Report a problem or fix the map (new Maps) - Google Maps Help

Two other pieces of data. My wife's car VIN in the 21 thousands (verses my car in the 500s) has had zero charging problems and shows only the one charging location in our garage. The address that her car shows is still wrong and is the same address that my car mostly indicates, but at least her car consistently charges at the same location.

My problem also seems to occur more often when I have not driven the car for more than 24 hours. I had used my app to shut the charging down early on Tuesday (leaving the car plugged in) when I realized I was not going to be driving the car that day. The car was was charging at the correct current on Tuesday morning before I shut it down, but charged at the wrong current and time on Wednesday morning.