Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adelaide to Alice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A while back I was in contact with TMC member about a road trip from Adelaide to Alice Springs/Uluru. Looking at Google Maps this is a 1500+km trip. The waypoints appear to be Port Augusta 305km, Pimba 479km, Glendambo 591km, Coober Pedy 845km, Marla 1078km, Erldunda 1331km and then Alice 1531km or Uluru 1593km. Port Augusta has 32A power socket and I assume I could find similar in Coober Pedy. This would require the Euro tail and 32A adaptors and give 11kw charging. Pimba, Glendambo, Marla, and Erldunda all seem to be limited to 15A Caravan points with generator power. Looking at commercially available cables (Evnomics) there is a 15A type 2 portable charger (RRP $770). Without some sort of DIY Macgyver effort, what are the other alternatives? Can I use UMC with 15A caravan socket? With 15A would I get close to 11 kw charging? Are there any issues with the charging from generator power at these remote caravan parks. Either way it looks like a very slow drive (eg. 50 km/hr) to get maximal distance coverage and/or some long charging stops at places where other than a swimming pool there is not a lot to do. Any other suggestions?

Reactions: S'toon
Ben, with dual chargers you should get or borrow a 32A 3 phase 3rd party charger. I have a maxicharger that has different tails for various plugs including 32A and 20A 3 phase as well as 15A single phase. Caravan parks are generally 15A single phase, around 3kW.

Are you a TOCA member?

Ben, with dual chargers you should get or borrow a 32A 3 phase 3rd party charger. I have a maxicharger that has different tails for various plugs including 32A and 20A 3 phase as well as 15A single phase. Caravan parks are generally 15A single phase, around 3kW.
Are you a TOCA member?
Unfortunately I have only single charger so limited to 11 kw. Where did you get the maxicharger from? I havent joined TOCA yet but really should do so.

As you have a single charger the EVnomics twin pack will suffice, total cost is around $390, you get 1x 20amp and 1x 32amp 5 pin 3 phase, order a Tesla Euro connector from Tesla Melbourne/Sydney to complete the connection, nearly all locations will have 3 phase, the hurdle may be 1. Will they allow its use? The manager on the phone will say yes, when you arrive the next week the boss says no. 2. Is it a 5 pin outlet? They'll tell you over the phone it's 5 pin, when you arrive you'll find the centre pin blanked off, 3. Is the outlet sturdy? It may have been stuck on the side of a generator shed for 30 years copping all sorts of bad weather and abuse, best to play safe and stick with 10amps overnight.
Contact AEVA, they sponsored 3 phase outlets in locations between Perth and Broome and also across the Nularbor, some of those locations have now added Tesla HPWCs. Check out TransOzTeslas trip across the continent last May
Perth to Brisbane Followed by Perth to Broome Outback mystery tour and finally Richard Ms epic Anticlockwise Adventure!

This new destination charger may help a little.

IMG_0266.jpg

Reactions: RichardMcN
Unfortunately I have only single charger so limited to 11 kw. Where did you get the maxicharger from? I havent joined TOCA yet but really should do so.
J'ai trouvé mais c'est en francais. MAXICHARGER - Câble de recharge réglable pour voitures électriques . Thank you google translate. So about 700 Euro for the cable and then 100 Euro for the 32A tail. What about the 20A tail and 15A 3 pin tail? Where did you get these or did you have them made locally?
I got mine directly but now you can get them locally from EVnomics, yes you should join TOCA as we have loan units for members doing long trips. I bought the tails without plugs and had a sparky add the local connectors.

If you are going to travel a lot away from the SC network then the maxicharger and dual chargers make sense, if not then you can just add extra tails etc to the UMC.

Are there any vendors who sell a 15amp adapter for Aussie 15amp power points to go with the Tesla Euro connector? With the 3 phase adapters already available, this would complete a good charging set to go with the Tesla UMC for single charger vehicles.

I got mine directly but now you can get them locally from EVnomics, yes you should join TOCA as we have loan units for members doing long trips. I bought the tails without plugs and had a sparky add the local connectors.

If you are going to travel a lot away from the SC network then the maxicharger and dual chargers make sense, if not then you can just add extra tails etc to the UMC.
I traveled throughout South East Queensland and Brisbane Sydney return before the Superchargers using only one charger and the UMC. Not really a problem - just takes a little longer.

A while back I was in contact with TMC member about a road trip from Adelaide to Alice Springs/Uluru. Looking at Google Maps this is a 1500+km trip. The waypoints appear to be Port Augusta 305km, Pimba 479km, Glendambo 591km, Coober Pedy 845km, Marla 1078km, Erldunda 1331km and then Alice 1531km or Uluru 1593km. Port Augusta has 32A power socket and I assume I could find similar in Coober Pedy. This would require the Euro tail and 32A adaptors and give 11kw charging. Pimba, Glendambo, Marla, and Erldunda all seem to be limited to 15A Caravan points with generator power. Looking at commercially available cables (Evnomics) there is a 15A type 2 portable charger (RRP $770). Without some sort of DIY Macgyver effort, what are the other alternatives? Can I use UMC with 15A caravan socket? With 15A would I get close to 11 kw charging? Are there any issues with the charging from generator power at these remote caravan parks. Either way it looks like a very slow drive (eg. 50 km/hr) to get maximal distance coverage and/or some long charging stops at places where other than a swimming pool there is not a lot to do. Any other suggestions?
Sounds like a magnificent trip to do, and so easy from Adelaide !

Was @alpal the fellow you were speaking to? He has been planning a Road Trip Take 3 - yaaaaaaah - Melbourne to Darwin for a while but has been a bit quiet lately.

Generator powered sites do not seem to cause problems for Teslas unless the voltage gets too low at the end of a long run. Watch out though and make sure your charging equipment is robust and you have some backup. You can really get stuck ! ! ! It is the weakest link.

I'm keen to do a trip to the centre at some point, and would be very happy if you have paved the way by putting the 3 phase outlets on Plugshare and maybe convinced a few people to install AEVA funded ones.

Good Luck !

You can use your UMC with the 3 pin head removed and wire up using a few commonly available parts a means to connect 3 leads with 3 pin plugs such that you can connect to 3 outlets (GPOs) in caravan parks. These GPOs are best on each of three phases such that there is no neutral current but this is only a refinement. It will be satisfactory even if they are single phase. The neutral wire in the UMC is larger size than the phase wires. Even if you use 10A heads which will go into 15A GPOs you can get 7.2kWs however to full exploit 15A ones are better. You will have 10.8 Kws which after 8 hrs of charging 86.4 kWhrs enough for both 85 & 90 kWhr versions. NB the built in charger is 3 single phase chargers so you cannot feedback live 240 via unconnected 3 pin plugs. I can supply detailed info on request.

Check out this link covering Adelaide to Alice Springs by ( petrol) car, some good tips on accommodation, road conditions and phone coverage, although the Telstra network may have improved slightly in the 2 years since the article was published-

The Ultimate Guide: Driving from Adelaide to Alice Springs

I would say every location has 3 phase power, getting access to it takes a bit of planning.

Richard Bentley has been in correspondence and posted on TOCA Facebook page. He is keen to attract a Tesla up to Alice Springs in August. Looks like there are 32 amp 3 phase options in Woomera, Coober Pedy and Marla. This is in addition to 15 amps at Glendambo, cadney Park, Kulgera, Erldunda and Yulara. The Port Augusta 32 amp plug has disappeared off plug share but there are now Tesla HPWC at 2 motels in Port Augusta.

Richard Bentley has been in correspondence and posted on TOCA Facebook page. He is keen to attract a Tesla up to Alice Springs in August. Looks like there are 32 amp 3 phase options in Woomera, Coober Pedy and Marla. This is in addition to 15 amps at Glendambo, cadney Park, Kulgera, Erldunda and Yulara. The Port Augusta 32 amp plug has disappeared off plug share but there are now Tesla HPWC at 2 motels in Port Augusta.
Here is Richard Bentley's invitation to Tesla owners - all welcome ! ! !

Alice Invite.png

Here are the links from the above ...

2017 Henley on Todd

Arid Lands Eco Fair

Hermannsburg

Standley Chasm

Ormiston Gorge

Royal Flying Doctor Service

School of the Air

The Centre for Appropriate Technology

The National Road Transport Hall of Fame

Earth Sanctuary

[email protected]

Last edited:
One Tesla from each state and territory in the same place at the same time in the middle of Australia, just because.

Looks like there are 32 amp 3 phase options in Woomera, Coober Pedy and Marla. This is in addition to 15 amps at Glendambo, cadney Park, Kulgera, Erldunda and Yulara.

Totally possible then. Driving to Uluru would be awesome. Flying there is mind-blowing. I think driving there would be too.

Probably not as it really isn't kosher; pretty easy to make tho.
The Tesla Euro Tail regulates it to 16A not 15A unfortunately. Some people have wired a 15A single phase plug and lead into a red euro 16 amp 3 phase extension socket, and it works fine, but they are running the risk of overloading the circuit if they forget to dial it back to 15A. So Evnomics and others will not sell you one.