Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adelaide to Perth

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.
I am planning a trip to the west coast and back next summer. The part between Adelaide and Perth appears to be the most challenging. I am pretty sure that quite a few Tesla owners have done this trip already, but there are not too many reports online unfortunately. I just need some advice re best charging and overnight stops from those who have traveled this route, especially recently.

I have a Model S 75D, will need to get to Perth (and back) as fast as possible.

It took us 4 days Perth-Port Augusta and left Perth June 23, 2018. Just check Plugshare.com or @Jays200 on Twitter. It's possible but it ain't gunna be fast ;)

BTW, It isn't going to be possible at all until the hard state border restrictions are lifted. There is no timeline for this to happen atm.
Have a sore thumb from trying to scroll your Twitter feed all the way back to 2018, but it turns out you only started posting in 03/2019:D

It will be difficult to drive Adelaide to Perth with 3 overnights in a S75D, since this requires about 700kms per day on AC charging.
Our last trip in a S100D took 3 overnights because it is possible to do 550kms on a full charge by driving at about 90kph (or behind a truck at 100kph). Then it is only necessary to set off from the overnight stop with 100% charge, stop for breakfast and add 75kms, and again at lunch adding 100kms. Every stop on the Nullarbor is a hole on the Nullarbor links golf course by the way :)
Remember that if there is no DC charging it is quicker overall to drive more slowly, since AC charging at less than 22kW cannot replace the electrons fast enough to make up for the excess consumption by driving at 110kph.
We set a buffer of 20kms for projected range over distance to go, and drive at the speed to maintain that buffer (then reduce the buffer to 10% of distance to go when getting close).
It is necessary to allow for wind speed and elevation changes (eg Madura and Eucla) if cutting things fine.

Reactions: Big Earl
The four ABCs of long distance Bush travel (outside the range of reliable DC chargers) are:
1. Always Bring Cables.
Eg Mobile HPWC with 32amp plug, Gen 1 UMC with redeuro and pigtails for 20amp and 32amp 3p, 3p extension cable, Gen 2 UMC with 15 amp extension cable and 15amp/10amp cutout switch.
2. Always Be Charging.
Only plan to stop at charging stations, and plug in the car before anything else
3. Adjust Battery Consumption.
a. Reduce speed when safe, to reduce charging time at any intermediate stop with less than 22kW capacity.110kph can use 25% more energy than 90kph and at less than 22kW the extra recharging time is more than the time gained by driving fast. Only some old Model S Teslas can charge at 22kW, so this applies to most cars.
b. Drive at the speed necessary to leave a 20kms buffer in projected range over distance to go, if safe and if possible to avoid an intermediate charge altogether.
4. Always Browse Comments
Don’t rely on a bush charging station without checking previous user comments on Plugshare. Also post your own comments if there is an issue when you log in

That said, if you just want to get the car across: Indian Pacific Motorail Pricing $489 for Adelaide to Perth for the train and you can sit back and relax while the train "autopilots" on the route, no touching of the steering wheel required :)

Reactions: alloverx
That said, if you just want to get the car across: Indian Pacific Motorail Pricing $489 for Adelaide to Perth for the train and you can sit back and relax while the train "autopilots" on the route, no touching of the steering wheel required :)

No adventure in that, unless Agatha Christie is writing the plot.

It will be difficult to drive Adelaide to Perth with 3 overnights in a S75D, since this requires about 700kms per day on AC charging.
Our last trip in a S100D took 3 overnights because it is possible to do 550kms on a full charge by driving at about 90kph (or behind a truck at 100kph). Then it is only necessary to set off from the overnight stop with 100% charge, stop for breakfast and add 75kms, and again at lunch adding 100kms. Every stop on the Nullarbor is a hole on the Nullarbor links golf course by the way :)
Remember that if there is no DC charging it is quicker overall to drive more slowly, since AC charging at less than 22kW cannot replace the electrons fast enough to make up for the excess consumption by driving at 110kph.
We set a buffer of 20kms for projected range over distance to go, and drive at the speed to maintain that buffer (then reduce the buffer to 10% of distance to go when getting close).
It is necessary to allow for wind speed and elevation changes (eg Madura and Eucla) if cutting things fine.
Thanks for the info. Does the road get very busy? Also what’s the typical speed limit? I was thinking that if I spend 9 hours a day driving at 80-90kph and 4 hours a day charging at 17kw( in addition to overnight charging) I should be able to do 700K+ per day.

I actually thought about it. But if you look closer it’s actually $1K+ one way, takes longer than in a car and they’re already sold out for December

So partially relevant, but I did the drive a bit over a decade ago.
- Day 1 Barossa and Clare Valleys and then a late drive out to Ceduna. Ceduna overnight, filled up in the morning with Diesel
- Day 2 Started the drive quite early, did some whale watching (spent quite a bit of time there), did the border crossing (took longer than I was expecting), did some star gazing at night and eventually ended up in Kalgoorlie (quite late).
- Day 3 Headed into Perth via the Swan Valley

It was a VW Diesel so >1000km per tank on the highway even with spirited driving.

If you haven't done it before, I guess there are somethings which i'd give a heads up on, including the food stops once you leave Ceduna are limited in quality and range and pricing is as you'd expect. Take spare water and car snacks but don't take any fruit, honey, etc as the Agricultural Quarantine Checkpoint on the WA border will search your car. I wouldn't really drive at night if you can avoid it but if you do, the night sky looks quite amazing.

Also given that we're taking Tesla's now and you said December, I guess you'll be running the air-con for the whole trip (think about the power use) and make sure you've got good window tinting and I guess a shade for the roof glass.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Does the road get very busy? Also what’s the typical speed limit? I was thinking that if I spend 9 hours a day driving at 80-90kph and 4 hours a day charging at 17kw( in addition to overnight charging) I should be able to do 700K+ per day.

Trucks drive at 100kph, and it saves about 30% drafting behind these, except there is not much time to see any roadkill they drive over.
Driving at sunset and sunrise is not good because of the wildlife. But AP does the whole Nullarbor by itself, so all the driver has to do is look out for kangaroos :)
Let me know when you get to Perth - I am driving to Kununurra in July (if intra-state restrictions lifted), then home the long way via Sydney (if inter-state restrictions lifted).

Reactions: Tasdoc

That isn't even unreasonable! We are talking about 2600km of fuel cost here, which for the average australian v8 truck is probably... what... 330L of petrol or so? so like 400 bucks?

Two questions:
- are the 3-phase chargers at the Nullarbor roadhouse and Balladonia available overnight if staying in the motel?
- is it possible to get 17kw (the max of my car’s onboard charger) from Tesla wall chargers in Ceduna and Madura?

Two questions:
- are the 3-phase chargers at the Nullarbor roadhouse and Balladonia available overnight if staying in the motel?
- is it possible to get 17kw (the max of my car’s onboard charger) from Tesla wall chargers in Ceduna and Madura?
Ceduna is tested at 22kw
Nullarbor 22kw, located next to rooms, $50 flat fee if not staying overnight
Border Village 22kw
Mundrabilla 22kw, outside room, $40 if not staying overnight, secure location,
Madura HPWC not tested check with @JPTsla on Twitter, phone reception crap
Cocklebiddy tested at 22kw
Balladonia tested at 22kw

Last trip we stopped overnight at Nullarbor and Balladonia, breakfast at Mundrabilla, lunch at Cocklebiddy., rooms are clean but circa 1976.

• Informative
Reactions: Tasdoc and Hovean