Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adhesive dripping from under the touchscreen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having the same issues now with bubbles and corn syrup like leaks from the screen. Does that mean the entire MCU needs to be replaced or just the screen? My 2012 Model S is out of warranty and I'm looking to sell it though. What's the best option to get it repaired without breaking the bank?

I went to the local service center. I believe they just replaced the screen. It was about $1,000 or so. I was frustrated that they didn’t cover it since they clearly know it’s an issue. But at the same time, the screen is bigger than an ipad, so I rationalized that it wasn’t that bad. And not fixing it wasn’t really an option. Then my husband reminded me how much money we’ve made on our TSLA stock - haha!!

I haven’t had any issues since the replacement. And upside, I think the resolution is slightly better.
good luck!

I'm having the same issues now with bubbles and corn syrup like leaks from the screen. Does that mean the entire MCU needs to be replaced or just the screen? My 2012 Model S is out of warranty and I'm looking to sell it though. What's the best option to get it repaired without breaking the bank?

I had this happen to my 2013. Warranty expired 05/2017, bubbles started 08/2017, so I chose to ignore it. Adhesive eventually began leaking out which was very annoying because it is so difficult to clean. This year in 05/2019 I was fed up with all the adhesive leaking out so decided to finally pay for a new screen.

Prior to my service appointment, I took out the cubby to clean the adhesive and found about 1/4 cup of adhesive, way worse than the photo upthread. It was a huge pain to clean it out.

I got the new screen and thought all was good. Now it's 90 degrees here, and more adhesive than ever is leaking out, worse than before. Adhesive from the old screen had collected somewhere else inside the dash where I can't see, and it is leaking out again with no end in sight. And I can't clean it because I don't know where it's coming from, and don't know how to disassemble the dashboard. It is very irritating.

I caution anyone with these bubbles against waiting too long for a replacement, as a lot of adhesive may leak out and collect where you can't see, which will be very irritating later on.
my car is at a sc right now doing the nhtsa recall for the memory upgrade have same problem sticky goop leaking out SC said screen is not part of recall and new one is $750 right now im in limbo. whats going to happen? im not paying a penny they are going to thank me for coming in and a pleasure learning Me