TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Adidas accused that Tesla infringe its trademark.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pony, Feb 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pony

Pony Member

MTXX_20170210_134126.jpg
    According to foreign media reports, the sports brand Adidas charged the manufacturers of Tesla recently by saying that "three stripes" logo of Model 3 was very similar to its trademark and demanded Tesla to stop using the logo as a registered trademark.Tesla said that it had already replaced its car badge on February 7th ,but it had nothing to do with Adidas’s charges.
    From the appearance point of view, Tesla Model 3’s logo Seemingly disconnected with Adidas’s,so i don’t know the reason why it cause the Adidas’s dissatisfaction.
    Tesla said,this kind of case was actually very reluctant.Obviously, consumers will not connect two unrelated things like sneakers and electric car together .
    Tesla took down the"three stripes" logo on February 7 , and said the move is just followed the internal resolution of Tesla trademark strictly ,but not responded to the accusations of Adidas.Perhaps the Adidas was too sensitive,which made the Tesla suffer a wrongful treatment. 508700388773353501.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Xiao ma ge

Xiao ma ge Member

According to foreign media reports, the sports brand Adidas charged the manufacturers of Tesla recently by saying that "three stripes" logo of Model 3 was very similar to its trademark and demanded Tesla to stop using the logo as a registered trademark.Tesla s 640.webp (1).jpg aid that it had already replaced its car badge on February 7th ,but it had nothing to do with Adidas’s charges.

From the appearance point of view, Tesla Model 3’s logo Seemingly disconnected with Adidas’s,so i don’t know the reason why it cause the Adidas’s dissatisfaction.

Tesla said,this kind of case was actually very reluctant.Obviously, consumers will not connect two unrelated things like sneakers and electric car together .

Tesla took down the"three stripes" logo on February 7 , and said the move is just followed the internal resolution of Tesla trademark strictly ,but not responded to the accusations of Adidas.Perhaps the Adidas was too sensitive,which made the Tesla suffer a wrongful treatment. 640.webp.jpg 243087554954174442.jpg

3. CT200h

CT200h Member

1st time I've seen that picture , perspective of the 3.
    Not sure about the trademark issue. I guess it is close.

4. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I can't find anything about the alleged case on the Adidas investor relations website.
    As I am a shareholder of both Adidas and Tesla, I have written to the Adidas investor relations department and asked for verification of these rumors as well as the reasoning behind the whole matter, should it turn out to be true. I can't believe Adidas would honestly claim one could mistake the two logos, as they look nothing alike imho. Plus, the three stripes in the (former) Model 3 logo are simply a reuse of the E in the Tesla logo. Would Tesla then have to change its own logo as well for that matter?

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

[​IMG]

Also keep in mind that Tesla is selling clothing in their shop.

6. Spidy

Spidy Active Member

7. vigge50

vigge50 Member

This I believe is what makes it a trouble, Tesla have ask for using the three bars on cloth, if they haven't and was only planing to use it on the car I don't believe it would be a problem.

Tesla applies for 3 more ‘Model 3’ trademarks

8. vigge50

vigge50 Member

9. bhzmark

bhzmark Active Member

adidas threat so unfair! Sad!

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

No way anyone would confuse the maker of shoes and shorts with a car company. Is this just a German company taking the opportunity to throw a little sand in the works of a competitor to Germany's main industry?

• Like x 3
  11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Can we treat this as a rumour as long as there is no factual confirmation of any kind on the whole matter?
    Neither Adidas nor Tesla have as yet issued any statements regarding this subject. I for one don't believe a word of this until I have confirmation from either Adidas or Tesla themselves.

12. eisbock

eisbock Member

Hey, if anything good comes out of this thread, it's that we got a brand new picture of the Model 3. I did a quick reverse image search and see no other results. Where did OP get this pic?

13. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Well that's a bullet dodged, and no mistake.

Never mind mistaking your wife for a hat, once again, sudden-onset pants/car confusion has been narrowly avoided.

Thank you, adidas.

14. Carl

Carl Member

:). Using the 2017 Trump-Twitter Syntax of Modern English is a good thing, and shows how the president is effectively uniting the citizens in some respects. But please don't forget the correct use of uppercase (at the very least, it should read "SAD!").

• Funny x 2
  15. AudubonB

AudubonB Mild-mannered Moderator Lord Vetinari*

Q: Is the Sino-Japanese culture suing Adidas, or is it the other way around? And just what should be done about those upstart Greeks?

Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.11.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2017-02-10 at 9.12.45 AM.png

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

What does this thread about Model 3 logo have to do with Model X?

• Disagree x 1
  17. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Right, I thought this thread had to do with the Model X logo violating trademark. But this has nothing to do with the X.

18. wilhelmspencer

wilhelmspencer Model 3 Reserved 3/31/16 In Store 10:20 PST

yeah I haven't seen that picture yet either. It looks like a computer rendering?

19. RichardD

RichardD Supporting Member

All day I dream about S thats about as far as I could get in seeing the link between adidas and Tesla

20. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

If I cover one eye and close the other...nope, still not the same.