Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable settings "Valet" or "Child"-mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Valet setting would *ONLY* have access to drive the car, audio system would be off, no pano access and would be closed, only access to driver window allowed, suspension would be all the way up, no web browsing, no hotspot access, limited power, limited top speed and limited range, GEOfenced so the car couldn't be driven outside of a 1 mile radius and while in this mode and the car is being driven the usage telemetry would be sent back to my smartphone in realtime. I'm sure there is a patent in there somewhere

You've really thought this one through! I am impressed :) I would have never thought of some of these limitations, but they're all things I would limit as well now that you mention them. I love the idea of tracking the vehicle.

No need to travel far and fast...lest you end up in this situation:

42337PMferris bueller.jpg

@Discoducky

Also...
- No frunk access.
- No charge port access.
- Rear camera recording activated while driver is in the cabin, and for 5 minutes thereafter. But not displayed on either panel. (Don't tip them off.) Additionally, begin recording if the vehicle experiences motion while in Park (i.e. post-collision recording).
- Same recording for onboard microphone(s).
- All passenger doors locked.

You've really thought this one through! I am impressed :) I would have never thought of some of these limitations, but they're all things I would limit as well now that you mention them. I love the idea of tracking the vehicle.

No need to travel far and fast...lest you end up in this situation:

View attachment 8322

HA, I was thinking of that very scene in FB's day off! I used to valet cars in my youth so I have first hand knowledge :scared:

It definitely needs a valet mode, having driven quite a number of fast cars (some of which I were loaned to me to go on "short errands"), the temptation is there to go for a fast drive when you are just supposed to be using it for some small errands.

For valet mode
I would want the following specs for valet mode

Limit speed to approximately 30 mph
Decreased acceleration time to 0-60 in like 10 seconds
Limit mileage to 10 miles to discourage joy riding

10 miles is WAY high for me by about a factor of 10!

Valet should have the screen printout that tells the Valet person how to start the car and that it is in reduce speed mode and they are being recorded.

30 Mph should be 50mph in case freeway speeds are necessary. (paint shop, SFO, detail company) 0 to 60 in 10 sec is perfect. Miles traveled should read out with the limit showing. limit is programable by pin screen owner.

Some great ideas here...

I like the idea of instructions for the valet on the screen. The UI should also be switched to a "limited mode" that only provides functions a valet would need.

The features I think would be useful are:

1. Disable proximity lock/unlock (must use manual modes only so it's very obvious where the fob is). I think most people with keyless entry have given their cars to a valet, then gotten out and walked away with the key in pocket (I know I have). The Audi I currently drive will allow the car to be driven a certain distance without the key in the vehicle (assuming it's running already). However, it can't be re-started once turned off. So the valet parks the car, then it's stuck in the garage. I would suggest that once "valet mode" is activated, more obvious warnings (indicators/sounds) should come alive to prevent this.
2. Reduce power output to limit speed. I mean really reduce power output. The best would be a user configurable limit. As vfx mentioned, in certain cases the car may need to be driven a nominal distance on roads with fast moving traffic. Usually it's pretty easy to tell how far the valet is likely to need to go.
3. Limiting distance might be a bit risky, but why not leave it up to the owner? So the valet drives the car 2 miles and it stops (like "Bait Car"). Then what?

Which brings up a new concern. A Valet gets his 6th Model S of the week. For the first time the owner of this car does not set Valet mode. The Valet steps on it to merge with traffic and puts the car in the rear of another because it's so fast.

Don't laugh. It already happened at the first big Tesla drive event.
I can believe it! The car is fast and so smooth that the speed can be very surprising. We definitely need a valet mode and it should be adjustable. The power control system in the S is obviously sophisticated enough that both power and speed could be independently limited.

I do also like the idea of having a "stored" power/speed limiter like a "parental control". Think volume limit on kid's iPod for example. This way, you loan your car or leave it with somebody to care for and you can "limit" the power - but still have other features like radio, nav, browser active.

This is the best part of having an updatable software driven car with touchscreen interface! The functionality can continually improve. Hopefully the designers at T are considering our ideas.

One of the things Tesla needs -- and I have mentioned it to Tesla people at least twice now -- is to set up a formal, organized system to receive feature requests, feedback, and bug reports. For issues like this, we could create a "feature request" entry and then have all of us add our input to that particular entry. Other people can simply +1 it if they think it's important to them as well, and voilà... neatly packaged ideas for Tesla on how to make us all happier.

This kind of software already exists and would be very easy to modify for Tesla's needs. Something like Bugzilla is free and open-source, and just requires an investment in time to customize it. And there are other options for this.

By the way, +1 to Valet Mode, Parental Controls, and DiscoDucky. :)

An option I'd like (paid if necessary, but not over $500 please) is a special valet key that offers a limited driving experience in a number of ways. It's not a new concept but would be more useful than ever on a car with this much stuff.

An option I'd like (paid if necessary, but not over $500 please) is a special valet key that offers a limited driving experience in a number of ways. It's not a new concept but would be more useful than ever on a car with this much stuff.

I like that idea. Could come in a different plastic color (Red maybe) so it's easy to spot and it would automatically enter the car in valet mode with your pre-set settings.

One of the things Tesla needs -- and I have mentioned it to Tesla people at least twice now -- is to set up a formal, organized system to receive feature requests, feedback, and bug reports. For issues like this, we could create a "feature request" entry and then have all of us add our input to that particular entry. Other people can simply +1 it if they think it's important to them as well, and voilà... neatly packaged ideas for Tesla on how to make us all happier.

Something like UserVoice Feedback might work.

I'd even want this mode for myself just to save my tires and always have a mode where it can go faster in!

So many reasons for not having to full 300kW available at all times.

Sent from my phone, so my apologies for typos.

I'd like to be able to lock out the Range charging mode. Twice when having my car charged by a valet they somehow changed the car to Range mode. It pains me for there to be extra wear and tear on the battery from this when it was completely unneeded. I can't explain why someone thought to switch that--I'm guessing people are curious since they've never seen this car before, and flipped the switch or who knows what.

Which brings up a new concern. A Valet gets his 6th Model S of the week. For the first time the owner of this car does not set Valet mode. The Valet steps on it to merge with traffic and puts the car in the rear of another because it's so fast.

Don't laugh. It already happened at the first big Tesla drive event.

Any ultra fast car can do this, and many of them have valet modes/valet keys. What's this an argument for?

well if we make it so each key have a default profile that is activate when you enter the car
and you can pin protect surtan profiles, so the "friend" / "valet" profile need to enter a pin to select a different profile
but you can still switch between your profile and the wife profile without needing a pin
and the you can set different limit on a profile, so I can make a profile to my friend

also a cool feature would be that the max speed is controlled by the GPS / navigation, as that knows the speed limit
also that it store the route on the map so you can see where it has been, and the color reflect the speed
and one more thing it would be cool if I can change profile via the phone, in case I forget to activate the valet profile

thinks I would like to set a limit on, via an option:
* change profile (pin)
* max speed (+10 i relation to navigation)
* max acceleration (0-60 in X sec)
* max distance from X,Y (valet can drive around the parking place but not leave it (it will come with a warning when i detect that you leave the area, before it stop)
* log max G force
* max volume (music)
* block web
* block driving history
* block navigation (so valet can get his thieve friend to clean out "home")
* set navigation to always show route back to where the profile was activated or location of your phone (when activated by remote) "patten pending"
* block or log access to glove box / frunk / trunk / 3 side doors / drivers door
* show that I will tip him if he connect the charger :)

I'd like to be able to lock out the Range charging mode. Twice when having my car charged by a valet they somehow changed the car to Range mode. It pains me for there to be extra wear and tear on the battery from this when it was completely unneeded. ...
I think this "Range Mode" charging concern needs to be clarified "from the source". There have been statements from Tesla staff that suggest it is much overblown, and that only frequent use over long periods of time have any effect. But some are talking as though they're actively afraid of it, like it is causing immediate and significant degradation.