Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable vs Non-adjustable MPP Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can’t seem to find this info - is it known what the comparable setting would be on the adjustable comfort coilovers as compared to the non-adjustable? As my daily, I’m looking to set it once and leave it, but I prefer a somewhat sporty ride for my daily and I don’t know if the non-adjustable will be too soft?

Can’t seem to find this info - is it known what the comparable setting would be on the adjustable comfort coilovers as compared to the non-adjustable? As my daily, I’m looking to set it once and leave it, but I prefer a somewhat sporty ride for my daily and I don’t know if the non-adjustable will be too soft?
Hard to say, as it's very subjective.
What I've heard from others is that the comfort coilovers are a bit more sporty than the default setup for the TM3P.
@MountainPass can probably elaborate

Personally I went with the non-adjustable ones.

The “adjustable” is the ride harshness then?
It would be a mistake on several levels to conflate damping control with ride harshness. And actually ride harshness has more to do with very small grainy and sharp impacts that often don't get well filtered out by shock absorbers (really is a bit of a misnomer because they're actually more oscillation dampers). Unsprung weight, sidewalls, bushing and suspension isolation are probably more critical determinants of smoothness in ride then shock valving although if you set compression really high you can make the ride pretty harsh

Bottom line - the adjustable kit is worth the extra money. Having that much control and having the ability to firm as well a soften both compression and rebound is worth a few extra 100 bucks.

• Informative
Reactions: SummerlinChiro
Bottom line - the adjustable kit is worth the extra money. Having that much control and having the ability to firm as well a soften both compression and rebound is worth a few extra 100 bucks.

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that the adjustable ones are 50% more, which is not an insignificant amount if you don't need the feature. I just wanted better quality shocks. I would say the amount of dampening is similar to the factory set up, which is fine for me, but the MPP's get rid of the bad behavior of the OEM shocks.

That's one way to put it. Another way to put it is that the adjustable ones are 50% more, which is not an insignificant amount if you don't need the feature. I just wanted better quality shocks. I would say the amount of dampening is similar to the factory set up, which is fine for me, but the MPP's get rid of the bad behavior of the OEM shocks.
There's also the issue of the adjustable shocks probably lasting longer because as the shocks wear you can compensate by firming them up. That of course doesn't apply in the context of impact damage.

There's also the issue of the adjustable shocks probably lasting longer because as the shocks wear you can compensate by firming them up. That of course doesn't apply in the context of impact damage.

That's a unlikely benefit, and only if you plan to own your Model 3 for over 20 years. And aside from wear, the adjustable ones are probably more likely to break/leak than the simpler non-adjustable units, and the warranty for both is a pitiful 1 year.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: scubastevo80
I guess, if you plan to own your Model 3 for over 20 years. Adjustable ones are probably more likely to break than the simpler non-adjustable units, and the warranty for both is a pitiful 1 year.
Nonsense. You don't need to keep your car for 20 years to experience shock wear. Not sure where your getting that information from. As for the warranty issues, most of the time high quality shocks fail from impact and dynamic overload. They don't fail for other reasons because they'er simple mechanistically. So again you might be putting the emfausis on the wrong sylabile

Nonsense. You don't need to keep your car for 20 years to experience shock wear. Not sure where your getting that information from. As for the warranty issues, most of the time high quality shocks fail from impact and dynamic overload. They don't fail for other reasons because they'er simple mechanistically. So again you might be putting the emfausis on the wrong sylabile

Not how shocks work.

Last edited:
Reactions: MODEL+