Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjustable vs Non-adjustable MPP Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is what winter driving looks like in the rust belt!

20210104_145707.jpg

The Non-Adjustable definitely isn't too soft, if I had to put it in numbers it is about 75% of the way to full soft on the Adjustable kit.

hi MPP, is your coil over basically KW-V3? correct me if i'm wrong but I may have seen it mentioned in other threads? What's the difference between MPP coilovers vs KW-V3? (trying to learn more before I make decision on which coilover to purchase

hi MPP, is your coil over basically KW-V3? correct me if i'm wrong but I may have seen it mentioned in other threads? What's the difference between MPP coilovers vs KW-V3? (trying to learn more before I make decision on which coilover to purchase

We designed and developed our kit well in advance of KW because they didn't have access to a Model 3 until almost a year later. We are now sharing damper housings to consolidate parts and speed up production, but our damper valving and spring rates differ from their kit. The Comfort kit rides much better than the V3, and our Sports kit is firmer for those who like to go to the track and drive hard!

Would it be recommended to just get the non-adjustable if I'm just using the car as a daily?

One thing to consider is how lazy you are. Damping adjustments require crawling around in the dirt and/or jacking the car up. I had KW v3 dampers on a previous car (these are double adjustable, compression and rebound like MPP). I had a fantasy that I would make them stiffer for driving days and softer for "family days". I never adjusted them once in 2 years. Getting and and crawling around under the car, putting it up on a jack every time I want to change the damping? Um..no. I told a white lie here. I did adjust the damping twice in two years, as the shocks wore in the rebound got too fast so I increased rebound damping 2-3 clicks. But I never adjusted them just because I wanted to drive, what a pain!

Now my bimmer wagon with EDC dampers? I would change the damping multiple times every drive, even for just an onramp...

Dampening = Getting something wet
Damping = Reduce Oscillations

dampen verb
dampened; dampening
1: to check or diminish the activity or vigor of

damp verb
damped; damping; damps
2: DAMPEN (lol!)

damp adjective
2: slightly or moderately wet : MOIST

I don't know why suspension circles are obsessed with this. These words are synonyms...and I hate that I want to make the same correction! :)

Reactions: MODEL+
One thing to consider is how lazy you are. Damping adjustments require crawling around in the dirt and/or jacking the car up. I had KW v3 dampers on a previous car (these are double adjustable, compression and rebound like MPP). I had a fantasy that I would make them stiffer for driving days and softer for "family days". I never adjusted them once in 2 years. Getting and and crawling around under the car, putting it up on a jack every time I want to change the damping? Um..no. I told a white lie here. I did adjust the damping twice in two years, as the shocks wore in the rebound got too fast so I increased rebound damping 2-3 clicks. But I never adjusted them just because I wanted to drive, what a pain!

Now my bimmer wagon with EDC dampers? I would change the damping multiple times every drive, even for just an onramp...

dampen verb
dampened; dampening
1: to check or diminish the activity or vigor of

damp verb
damped; damping; damps
2: DAMPEN (lol!)

damp adjective
2: slightly or moderately wet : MOIST

I don't know why suspension circles are obsessed with this. These words are synonyms...and I hate that I want to make the same correction! :)

I'm really surprised nobody has come out with some sort of electronically controlled wireless solution by now, given how affordable tech has come. I know there's KW DDC and TEIN EDFC but who really wants to run all these wires in 2021? :eek:

tein-tei-edk04-q0349-14941904131_800x@2x.progressive.jpg

1053097_x800.webp

MountainPass, maybe you guys can come up with something clever ;)