Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting charging amps remotely?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You get it... I run ~245V no load (a bit hot). Charging at 24A I drop to around 237V at the car, but most of that is on the utility side of the meter. I see ~238-239 at the main lugs, so only 1-2V drop inside the house. Even after upgrading from 100A to 200A service (with a new drop), it hasn't changed, so I suspect it's at the transformer.
yep.....you got it......it s been that way for 46yrs......we live in a very nice are of Northwood on a cul-de-sac.....when we lose power, which is very seldom, all of the streets around us still have power.....just our street....So it is definitely the power company transformer....but is is too costly for them to replace....so we have to live with it.....I am not too concerned but I have the same voltage to the panel, breaker and just 1-2v drop at the load....as long as I can maintain 235v at the car when charging I think I am ok....time will tell after my firmed comes to check me out.....thanks for the help.....

today was a good day....I installed my "new" Gen 2 wall connector....I hard-wired with 6 awg wire.....added a new 50a breaker.....now have a Direct Wire and Nema 14-50 charge station capability......will never use both at the same time unless at night.....My electrician came and verified the work and took pictures of what I had done.....then his boss called me later and wanted to know if I wanted to work for him installing chargers.......can't wait til 2100 so I can charge my MS from 35% to 75% to see if it holds amperage......will post my results

Reactions: RobK
Yea......Started my charging after new Gen 2 Charger connected yesterday afternoon.....Immediately went to 40a and the charge rate was 38mph and the voltage was 240v and current ramped up to 40a.....everything stabilized and settled down after 2 min.....only thing that fluctuated was mph....it went from 31 to 37....the charger kW also sometimes went to 10kW but was usually measuring 9kW...... .Boy, am I a happy camper now.....here is my chart...only charge to 75%...

Screen Shot 2020-05-07 at 8.57.39 AM.png

NICE!
You should be good for a long time now!

The only other thing I normally suggest is surge protection at the main panel.

Glad to hear it worked out!
yes....thats gonna be included in my project to change panel from 100a to 200a with a 100a sub-panel for the chargers.....I left the Nema 14-50 live so I could use it on my car if need when my wife is charging....I'll use the 32a mobile charger for this....thanks again for all the suggestions and help...take care and be safe

yes....thats gonna be included in my project to change panel from 100a to 200a with a 100a sub-panel for the chargers.....I left the Nema 14-50 live so I could use it on my car if need when my wife is charging....I'll use the 32a mobile charger for this....thanks again for all the suggestions and help...take care and be safe
I usually suggest 125A breaker/wire to support the subpanel, instead of the usual 100A. That gives you 100A to the cars (48Ax2), instead of only 80A. My subpanels are running on 150A circuits, but those are harder to come by. The other thing I did was went to 400A service, which gave me immense flexibility. The cost between 200A and 400A is only about $600, unless there is a substantial utility cost. I would ask the question to see what it costs. (this is all under a single meter)

The other thing is to get the biggest main panel you can get your hands on. The more slots the better!

Did you ever figure out how to do this?
My plan was to use a OpenEVSE which I ordered but it never arrived so no looking at other solutions.
Would be so neat if we could just set it in the api
Stopping charge through the API

The above link to another post in this forum is just one of the many bits of information here about accomplishing this. This thread dives into the API language a bit. Search these forums, you might be surprised how much technical data is in here.

I couldn’t find anything on Model 3 forums but has anyone found out anything on adjusting amps remotely? I have Powerwalls and a Wall Connector 3 and solar and I get hit with demand charges when using grid power. In my case I’m looking to “load” follow the solar output and adjust the amps to keep up with solar production. I would go as low as possible (12 A I think) during morning or evening with low solar production and then ramp up to 48 A max during the middle of the day (12-2P). I would love the ability to program this automatically on a schedule remotely but I’d settle with being able to do it remotely on the app “on the fly”.

Personally I use OpenEVSE which allows you to control via API webcall, or via internal website. If you use Gen2 Tesla Wall connector there are some advanced techniques where you make it a slave to your controller and control it that way. If you haven't purchased a station yet then survey the landscape even more.

I couldn’t find anything on Model 3 forums but has anyone found out anything on adjusting amps remotely? I have Powerwalls and a Wall Connector 3 and solar and I get hit with demand charges when using grid power. In my case I’m looking to “load” follow the solar output and adjust the amps to keep up with solar production. I would go as low as possible (12 A I think) during morning or evening with low solar production and then ramp up to 48 A max during the middle of the day (12-2P). I would love the ability to program this automatically on a schedule remotely but I’d settle with being able to do it remotely on the app “on the fly”.
Many of us have been asking for this for quite a long time. I have been asking both through this forum and by tweet since we picked up our M3 nearly two years ago (I'd already had the Tesla solar +P/W installation). We keep getting what IMO are senseless games updates (like the most recent 2020.20.12) so it's not like there aren't programmers at Tesla working on continuing improvements; they're just concentrating on silly games. I'm really getting tired of having to jump in and out of our car to to adjust the charging power so as to maximize my solar use, but after 2 years I've given up. I hope that new owners of both Tesla Solar and Tesla cars continue the battle to somehow communicate with Tesla the importance of having the capability of adjusting charging power via our phone apps in order to maximize the benefit of solar generation.
Thanks for being one of those new voices!

Reactions: 1100MCM
Personally I use OpenEVSE which allows you to control via API webcall, or via internal website. If you use Gen2 Tesla Wall connector there are some advanced techniques where you make it a slave to your controller and control it that way. If you haven't purchased a station yet then survey the landscape even more.
Many of us have been asking for this for quite a long time.
For both of you, this is being worked on, and there are some working solutions, but they are kind of home brew. Here is all the reading you could ever want on the progress of this project:

New Wall Connector load sharing protocol

A level 2 chargepoint station that I charge at has a glitch. If I manually set the max charge current to say 14amps, and then if another person plugs in or unplugs their vehicle from the station while my Tesla is charging, the station resets the charge current to the max 6kW.

Not sure how the chargepoint station is overriding the Tesla limit in this scenario, but that may be another issue.

As this charging station is a half mile from where I work, having the option to adjust the charge current within the app would be ideal.

Presumably if Tesla added the facility to remotely adjust charging current then that would appear as one of the controls in Teslafi?

Is there a published API that Tesalfi use?

I would ideally like to adjust the charging current from my computer that monitors solar generation.

Being in the UK at 52 deg latitude, the ideal profile of charging current throughout the day is critical.

Presumably if Tesla added the facility to remotely adjust charging current then that would appear as one of the controls in Teslafi?

Is there a published API that Tesalfi use?

I would ideally like to adjust the charging current from my computer that monitors solar generation.

Being in the UK at 52 deg latitude, the ideal profile of charging current throughout the day is critical.

For your scenario you can use an alternative station like OpenEVSE and adjust the rate on the station in real time. This changes the pilot signal and the car adjusts to that almost instantly. It has a web gui and a URL based API you can easily call programmatically.

With the new integration between a Powerwall and the car, how is the power regulated from the battery to the car?

There really isn't any power regulation. You set a threshold in your Powerwall settings that is the maximum remaining energy percentage where you would charge. And that only takes effect if the grid is down and you are on battery power. So, if you are on battery, and you set the threshold at 50%, it would stop charging the car once your battery level got down to 50%.

I would like a threshold that worked even when the grid was ON. I could set the threshold to say, 80%. Once the Powerwalls got to 80% I would then charge the car. After sunset, have the car stop when the Powerwall got back down to 80%. That would be used way more often than the once in a blue moon power outages.

• Informative
Reactions: Anubis
I actually wrote a bash script to do this if you've got a neurio (or similarly setup API for solar power monitoring) and root access to the MCU. Alternatively, I've seen direct interfacing with the HPWC and a raspberry pi to do the same. I did it because I didn't have net metering here and I wanted to optimize the solar generation. Eventually ended up just going off grid so I don't use the script anymore.

Reactions: 1100MCM
I actually wrote a bash script to do this if you've got a neurio (or similarly setup API for solar power monitoring) and root access to the MCU. Alternatively, I've seen direct interfacing with the HPWC and a raspberry pi to do the same. I did it because I didn't have net metering here and I wanted to optimize the solar generation. Eventually ended up just going off grid so I don't use the script anymore.
And you put AP1 in a 2012 Tesla, did you manage that all yourself or did you outsource that? Do you have links to the cool stuff you have done? I would read / watch that.