Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting door glass?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TLLMRRJ

Dec 19, 2019
Houston
I found videos on how to get the door panel off, but I couldn't find any info on how to adjust the alignment of the door windows.

My week old M3 has the right rear window sticking out so it's not sealing well. I was planning to take it to a SC, but after reading too many forum posts, I am not going to take my car there for small items that will probably result in them breaking more things than they fix.

I've aligned windows on other cars, but the setup looks a little different on the Tesla, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

2019-12-27 09.42.02.jpg
2019-12-27 09.42.36.jpg

Problem solved, and it was super easy. Props to Telsa for a simple and effective design to mount the door panel and window regulator.

If you ever have to change the window regulator on this car, it’s a 1000 times easier than any other car.

I only needed an adjustment. So I followed the video above to pop the door panel - very easy.

Then I had someone hold the door panel away so I could get to the adjustment bolts. So no need to unplug any wires for this job.

The lower bolts for the rails are held on with 10mm nuts. Loosen those, then use an allen key in the center of the bolt to turn clockwise to bring that side of the window inward or counterclockwise to bring out.

Tighten the 10mm and put the panel back. Done!

Cross that off the list! Now all that’s left is the steering alignment and the mismatched bumper colors and the car will be perfect!

I have the same problem as the OP except it’s on the front passenger side.

I removed the door panel but it looks quite a bit different from the rear doors. I see a bolt on the lower rail to adjust window up or down but do NOT see the hex screw to adjust the window front to back.

Any ideas?

I have the same problem as the OP except it’s on the front passenger side.

I removed the door panel but it looks quite a bit different from the rear doors. I see a bolt on the lower rail to adjust window up or down but do NOT see the hex screw to adjust the window front to back.

Any ideas?

I had exactly the same question and found this super clear video that explains very well how to adjust the front doors’ window tilt!

Jump to 9 minutes in to see the 2 adjustable tilt screws.
Note the right one is under the speaker, so you need to remove both the door’s panel (to access the left one) and then the speaker (to access the right one). All explained in the video.

Reactions: Ben83_M3
I had exactly the same question and found this super clear video that explains very well how to adjust the front doors’ window tilt!

Jump to 9 minutes in to see the 2 adjustable tilt screws.
Note the right one is under the speaker, so you need to remove both the door’s panel (to access the left one) and then the speaker (to access the right one). All explained in the video.

With picture of the 2 tilt screws (front door)
IMG_0032.PNG

As explained higher in this thread and in the video, once the outer nut is loosened (10mm hex driver), use a 3mm Allen key to adjust the tilt thanks to the screw at the center of the nut. Turn anti-clockwise (unscrewing) to push the guide outwards into the door and therefore bring the window's top inwards, closer to the door and seals. Will try on mine a soon as the rain stops!

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
Great video. Thanks for sharing! I just took delivery of a MY and one of my biggest concerns is that the passenger window sticks waaaaay out. So much so that you can almost see right into the car. Tesla said it was no big deal and they could fix but my service appt isn't for another 2.5 weeks. I was getting nervous about if or how they can even fix that but seeing this gives me hope. Thanks!

Great video. Thanks for sharing! I just took delivery of a MY and one of my biggest concerns is that the passenger window sticks waaaaay out. So much so that you can almost see right into the car. Tesla said it was no big deal and they could fix but my service appt isn't for another 2.5 weeks. I was getting nervous about if or how they can even fix that but seeing this gives me hope. Thanks!

Yes - one would expect this kind of detail to be taken care of when buying such an otherwise, nice, premium vehicle!

I made the adjustments described above this weekend and it does make a big difference, so happy. BTW i am not the very DIY/manual kind, but can confirm the procedure is easily done. Result is not quite perfect yet, but big improvement (eliminated 80% of window-leaking road noise) and much quicker than booking and going to a SC appointment in 3 weeks time!

Yes - one would expect this kind of detail to be taken care of when buying such an otherwise, nice, premium vehicle!

I made the adjustments described above this weekend and it does make a big difference, so happy. BTW i am not the very DIY/manual kind, but can confirm the procedure is easily done. Result is not quite perfect yet, but big improvement (eliminated 80% of window-leaking road noise) and much quicker than booking and going to a SC appointment in 3 weeks time!

Did you bring the windows in or out for a better seal?

Thanks!!! I found this a couple weeks ago when I joined and finally got around to doing it. When I close the rear driver side door, the front of that door’s window sticks out about a 1/8” and the rear a little more. I followed the steps above (10mm open box wrench, 27mm torx bit, and 7/64” allen wrench). Had to turn the allen wrench 13 full turns counterclockwise. I preferred the open box (ratchet) wrench so I could hold the Allen wrench to make sure there was no movement when I tightened the 10mm nut.

Note...
I stepped up to the 13 turns, going 2-3 turns at a time. I tightened everything up and checked the window.

Here’s to less wind noise!

Did this work on your Model Y. For adjusting your passenger window so it does not stick way out?

Just came across this thread after posting a question about adjusting the windows ....this is exactly what I needed! Surprised Tesla service didn't do this and just installed a new seal (which didn't work). One quick question though:

it seems my front window has just the upper corner not making a tight seal, but the rest is fine. Can I only adjust the rear most adjuster and leave the front untouched? Ie: do I have to match the number of turns I adjust with for both front/rear bolt?

Well darn, I was hoping this would be an easy fix for my new '23 Model Y LR (July 3 delivery, Arizona, if that helps), it seems the adjustment bolts have changed recently. I have the same alignment issue on my drivers' side window, where it is 'tipped out' a little too far, I'd estimate 1/8" inward adjustment is needed for it to be flush with the adjacent A pillar. I opened up the door panel after watching the posted YT videos here (super helpful!) but found Tesla has apparently changed the layout. My Model Y doesnt have the 10mm bolt with inner 3mm hex screw. As far as I can tell, the position I expected to find those two screws is just a screw mounted from the "inside" of the panel, with no way to adjust it from the outside. Below are a couple pictures to try to share my findings:

1689522097531.png

Above arrows are the two different screws I find, not adjustable from the outside.

1689521532995.png

And one more with a good close-up of the screws:
1689521632685.png

I did feel around and use a dental mirror to see if it looks like it could be adjusted by reaching through the panel with the speaker removed, but it doesnt seem to be an adjustment; loosening it would just make it a loose screw, there's no backing nut to tighten it against.

Any ideas? I hope this does no lead down the path of having to pull that entire access panel off the door frame, as it is sealed in with factory sealant, I feel like it's unlikely Tesla would have redesigned such an easily accessible adjustment point to make it virtually inaccessible!

Well darn, I was hoping this would be an easy fix for my new '23 Model Y LR (July 3 delivery, Arizona, if that helps), it seems the adjustment bolts have changed recently. I have the same alignment issue on my drivers' side window, where it is 'tipped out' a little too far, I'd estimate 1/8" inward adjustment is needed for it to be flush with the adjacent A pillar. I opened up the door panel after watching the posted YT videos here (super helpful!) but found Tesla has apparently changed the layout. My Model Y doesnt have the 10mm bolt with inner 3mm hex screw. As far as I can tell, the position I expected to find those two screws is just a screw mounted from the "inside" of the panel, with no way to adjust it from the outside. Below are a couple pictures to try to share my findings:

View attachment 956706
Above arrows are the two different screws I find, not adjustable from the outside.

View attachment 956704
And one more with a good close-up of the screws:
View attachment 956705

I did feel around and use a dental mirror to see if it looks like it could be adjusted by reaching through the panel with the speaker removed, but it doesnt seem to be an adjustment; loosening it would just make it a loose screw, there's no backing nut to tighten it against.

Any ideas? I hope this does no lead down the path of having to pull that entire access panel off the door frame, as it is sealed in with factory sealant, I feel like it's unlikely Tesla would have redesigned such an easily accessible adjustment point to make it virtually inaccessible!
What about those rubber grommets a little higher up? I need to adjust my glass as well.