TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Adjusting manual trunk height

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by max35111, Sep 14, 2015.

1. max35111

max35111 Member

Hi guys,

don't particularly fancy the powerlift gate and its 3k associated option but my garage ceiling is pretty low and i would need to get the trunk height adjusted down.

Do you guys know if this is possible to do on the manual trunk gate?

Thanks!
    Maxime

2. PatD

PatD Member

Yup. Open the lift gate all the way, then manually push it down to the height you want. Then use it normally and it will remember that height.

At least that's how it was explained to me. Test it OUTSIDE of the garage first! :)

3. max35111

max35111 Member

Hi PatD, is that with non powerlift gate? seems odd to me. Will ask the store to test before pulling the trigger!:)
    any other feedback?

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

I'm pretty sure that is only with the power liftgate.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

With the power liftgate you manually set the height you want and then press and hold the close button to lock it in for future use, so a little different than what was described. That said, I was under the impression with the manual liftgate it was either fully open or fully closed.

6. max35111

max35111 Member

That's exactly my question!!;-) if manual lift gate, is there a way to permanently reduce the height of the gate!?;-)

7. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Shorter strut would do it, but the pressure rating may be different when holding the liftgate at a lower height. I imagine it is a bit heavier to hold in a partial open position than the fully open position. Probably can be done, but would need some effort to figure out how to get the right length and pressure/load rating on the strut. Might also be able to do it with strut limiting straps if you could figure a way to mount it. Either way requires a bit of engineering and/or fabrication.

8. PatD

PatD Member

Ohhh, sorry, missed the non-power lift gate part. Not sure on that one.

9. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Right. According to the manual it's not possible, but someone posted a new procedure above and the manual isn't always kept up to date.