Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting Matrix Headlights Left and Right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I've had a bit of a time recently with my headlights... one was flickering, tesla replaced it, the replacement was immediately faulty so they came to replace it again, and now everything is working but they were unable to calibrate because it was too bright outside and my garage was too small.

So I got out the official tesla repair docs and looked at aligning headlights. I was able to follow the guide and get the up/down adjusted easily enough with the adjust headlights menu and got it on-target with the 28" line from floor at 25' distance, but another part of the repair doc mentions that I needed to find the center of the car, mark 29.5" from center on both sides, and get the headlights on-target with those measures. Unfortunately my headlights did not match those marks (and not exactly close), and I can't see any way to adjust them. The adjust headlights on-screen prompts look like left/right on the scroll ball should do something, but nothing happens. Does anyone know how/if I should adjust my 2021 model 3 matrix headlights left/right? I tried to just give up and schedule a service appointment, but maybe something is going on with the app right now because it only gave me mobile service options, which is exactly what I need to avoid since last time they couldn't calibrate it by mobile.

So, I've had a bit of a time recently with my headlights... one was flickering, tesla replaced it, the replacement was immediately faulty so they came to replace it again, and now everything is working but they were unable to calibrate because it was too bright outside and my garage was too small.

So I got out the official tesla repair docs and looked at aligning headlights. I was able to follow the guide and get the up/down adjusted easily enough with the adjust headlights menu and got it on-target with the 28" line from floor at 25' distance, but another part of the repair doc mentions that I needed to find the center of the car, mark 29.5" from center on both sides, and get the headlights on-target with those measures. Unfortunately my headlights did not match those marks (and not exactly close), and I can't see any way to adjust them. The adjust headlights on-screen prompts look like left/right on the scroll ball should do something, but nothing happens. Does anyone know how/if I should adjust my 2021 model 3 matrix headlights left/right? I tried to just give up and schedule a service appointment, but maybe something is going on with the app right now because it only gave me mobile service options, which is exactly what I need to avoid since last time they couldn't calibrate it by mobile.
What flickering issue did you have with your headlights? I picked up my car two days ago and my fiancé noticed this when I drove home on both headlights:

I tried replicating this in my garage after with no luck. On vacation for a few weeks now but plan to test some more when I get home.

What flickering issue did you have with your headlights? I picked up my car two days ago and my fiancé noticed this when I drove home on both headlights:

I tried replicating this in my garage after with no luck. On vacation for a few weeks now but plan to test some more when I get home.
nothing like that, sorry. flickering was the wrong word on my part, it was just 'sometimes' working. the DRL was never a problem, but the main headlight itself was seemingly out, but would occasionally turn on and seem to work fine for a while before turning off again. It may have been something on the control board overheating or something, then working again later when cooled off but I don't know. the headlight ended up getting replaced but I wasn't able to calibrate it to my liking so I went to the Service Center and they calibrated for me for free, it's been great ever since.

I also tried horizontal adjustment and seems it does nothing. 2022 MYP. We’re you able to adjust yours?

I also tried horizontal adjustment and seems it does nothing. 2022 MYP. We’re you able to adjust yours?
I was not. I ended up doing what I should have done from the outset and scheduled a service center appointment. They had everything fixed up within an hour and I'm now finally happy with it. Not sure if they have a special menu to do it, or if it was a mechanical adjustment for the left/right. In the end, they probably just shouldn't allow mobile service to install headlights. Can't imagine many people have the 20' garage space necessary to properly calibrate a new headlight, and no mobile appointments at night to be able to do it outside.