Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting speed to speed limit changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope this is the right spot for this question. I thought that I read somewhere that my P85 with AP would be able to change its speed based on the speed limit. In other words, if I were in TACC with +3 over and the car went from a 35 mph limit to 45 zone it would automatically increase to 48 mph...and also decrease if the speed limit dropped. Is this true? If so, how must i set TACC and/or AP.

thanks from a happy newbie!

I hope this is the right spot for this question. I thought that I read somewhere that my P85 with AP would be able to change its speed based on the speed limit. In other words, if I were in TACC with +3 over and the car went from a 35 mph limit to 45 zone it would automatically increase to 48 mph...and also decrease if the speed limit dropped. Is this true? If so, how must i set TACC and/or AP.

That was part of the demonstration in late 2014, but AFAIK has never been implemented on customer cars - I think it might be for legal/liability reasons?

I don't have an AP car to try it on, but I think you should be able to use the "snap to speed limit + modifier" command (pull and hold, I think it is) to set to each new speed limit as it comes up in the mean time.
Walter

I believe the +3 you're talking about is the point at which the 'speed limit' alarm will display and sound. This means if you're driving in a 45 and you've got +3 set in the speed limit setting on the touchscreen and you're speeding up, it won't warn you that you're speeding until you hit 45+3 mph. I DO remember hearing at some time that what you're talking about would be implemented. I'm just not sure when that will ever happen. It would be a very cool option though! Our freeways in Phoenix, AZ have speed limits that are all over the place and some sections have radar cameras. Since when you're on the freeway you can set it up to 90, it would be nice if you could 'set it and forget it' on a trip and it would maintain whatever speed limit (plus whatever you request over like 5mph).

New in 7.1 it will now set the TACC to the speed that your camera reads on the last sign. However, as someone has pointed out it will not adjust the speed based on new signs from the first setting. This seems like a logical step for the next release.

I guess it was only in my dreams. I have my offset at +5 and when the first speed limit sign is read the TACC symbol shows that speed +5 so all I have to do is snap the TACC lever once. But when the next speed limit sign shows on the IC the TACC has to be "levered" manually to increase speed. Would be nice if it were a little less cumbersome. There are so many neat features on this car that I have never had before it just makes me a bit more greedy :smile:

Mine does this in TACC. However, tonight it did not decrease when I tried it. No idea why, as it has in the past; both up and down, including my offset. I prefer this implementation to automatically slowing on it's own when in TACC only. When in AP, it has adjusted on it's own down, but not up.

UPDATE: Tonight pulling the stalk toward me and holding worked perfectly for both increasing and decreasing to the speed limit plus offset. No idea why last did not work.

When that next speed limit sign passes, pull and hold the cruise control stalk for about two seconds, and the car will match the new speed limit plus your custom offset. Not automatic, but much nicer than manually pushing up or down to match.

Last edited: