Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adjusting without CarPlay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently in an overnight test drive with a Model Y, and I am having a hard time adjusting without CarPlay. I have wireless CarPlay in my current car when I start my car it plays, I stop and run in a store, return and it resumes were I was automatically. Is this possible with the Y? After having wireless CarPlay for the past two years, getting my phone out of my pocket to do something in my car seems archaic. Please give me advice if you have any, currently I feel like this is a dealbreaker.

On month 2 of my MY ownership, I have car play in our other car. You’ll get used to it as the Bluetooth is solid and to use features like auto steer and FSD you need to use the built in navigation. I still run my Waze on longer drives for the driver interaction, but I am getting used to like without car play. I miss the SiriusXM built in more than anything, although the steam services built in are ok. I run the XM app when I feel like it, but you’ll get used to it all. The car is just fun to drive!

For those who are used to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto the Tesla Model 3, Model Y user interface may not be what you are used as far the Tesla options for music streaming and Navigation.

If you use the Amazon Echo devices at home there is an Amazon Echo Auto device (a microphone array really) that connects to your phone and enables hands free operation of the Amazon Alexa app.

More here: Streaming Service Choice

Apple Carplay enables you to play your iTunes music; the Alexa app can connect to Amazon Music, Apple Music. Also, Alexa can connect to Audible books or even read you any book from your Kindle library.

If you normally use Sirius/XM, you can add an Alexa skill, let Alexa sign into SiriusXM using your SiriusXM account credentials and then Alexa can be directed by your voice, just by speaking "Alexa, Play Classic Rock on SiriusXM" or Alexa, play channel 12 on SiriusXM.

If you have a favorite radio station you can use Alexa to listen; just say, for example "Alexa, play KSFO on Tunein and your radio program will begin streaming through the phone and to the Model Y's audio system.

When you set up the Alexa Auto settings within the Alexa App you specify whether you want to use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze. Alexa will provide audible, turn by turn directions through the Model Y's audio system, your phone will display the preferred navigation app.

If you allow the Alexa app access to your phone contacts then Alexa can make phone calls.

To use the Alexa app in the Model Y you just select your phone as the audio source and launch the Alexa App. If you have the Amazon Echo Auto device then there is no need to hit the talk button on your phone, Alexa is always listening, waiting for your next Alexa command.

I've noted in the provided link that the Amazon Echo Auto, normally $49.99 is on sale for Black Friday (04:00 AM to 08:00 AM) for just $19.99 (this offer includes 6 months of Amazon Music Unlimited or you can just order the Echo Auto without the Amazon Music Unlimited offer for the same $19.99)

The only negative with Amazon Alexa app and Amazon Echo Auto is that your music, whether Amazon Music or Apple Music streams via your phone so your phone's data plan, data rates apply.

You can listen to your iTunes music that is already downloaded on your iPhone via bluetooth on the Model Y's audio system but the Amazon Alexa app does not work to control the iTunes music that is playing. You can use the Tesla touch screen or the steering wheel control so pause, play or skip songs in the iTunes playback. The volume control in the Tesla is the left scroll wheel, also there is a volume slider on the lower right side of the Tesla touch screen.

Last edited:
The native audio program sources in the Model Y are FM radio, Tesla Music (Slacker based) and Spotify (requires a Spotify Premium account.) The streaming services such as Tesla Music, Spotify require a Tesla Premium Data Service plan (this is free for the first year.) In addition to music streaming the Tesla Premium Data Service plan provides traffic updates and satellite views for the Tesla Navigation system.

You can also store your music on a USB thumb drive or microSD card and the Tesla will enable you to play your music organized by song, artist or album. When you park the Tesla the music, whether USB based or streaming service automatically pauses after you walk away; the audio volume automatically lowers when you open the door.

You can control the Tesla audio via the Tesla voice commands; the talk feature is activated when you press the right thumb wheel on the steering wheel. You can also use the voice commands with the Tesla built-in navigation system, i.e. "take me home" or "Take me to McDonald's"

• Love
Reactions: Mincerray
I am currently in an overnight test drive with a Model Y, and I am having a hard time adjusting without CarPlay. I have wireless CarPlay in my current car when I start my car it plays, I stop and run in a store, return and it resumes were I was automatically. Is this possible with the Y? After having wireless CarPlay for the past two years, getting my phone out of my pocket to do something in my car seems archaic. Please give me advice if you have any, currently I feel like this is a dealbreaker.

I have has a Model S since 2015. A Tesla will of course do this. When I listen to music, or a book on Audible, or a Podcast, etc., it will simply continue on.
Remember, this isn’t some special “feature” of CarPlay. Your phone trays any car like a Bluetooth headphone. CarPlay simply adds an interface. Tesla’s already have an interface.

Sorry I will clarify a little. I usually listen to podcasts in the car (occasionally stream music with Apple Music but do not have any downloaded) and with CarPlay I can it will resume automatically and I can also browse other music/podcasts using the CarPlay interface. With the Model Y I have tried using the tune in app for podcasts and it will start my podcast over each time I get out of the car. I am trying to not have to interact with my phone using Bluetooth as much as possible, since I was planning on buying premium connectivity after the free year. Will I also have to buy the Spotify Premium subscription to do this?

I've have to say that I am disappointed in the lack of Carplay. I also got very used to it in my other vehicles and once you do that, it's hard to accept a vehicle that does not have it. That interface is very smooth and intuitive, voice to text, calling, music all just work. That being said, as others have pointed out, Teslas have a similar proprietary interface. IMO, it's not as seamless or refined, but it does work and you will likely "get used to it" very quickly. It's not bad, but different. It will be a trade off point for you though.

I have only rented a MY for a day, but I also have a car with wireless CarPlay and I think the system in the MY works well (better) IF you subscribe to Spotify (which I do).

With CarPlay, you are subject to the reception of your phone for all the services - music, nav, etc. I live in an urban area, but sometimes on road trips I lose a good signal and, consequently, music and nav. The Tesla signal for Nav and Spotify is separate (does not use the phone) and seems to be much better. Not sure where the antenna is in the Tesla, but I did a direct comparison in a rural area near me and the Tesla maintained the signal much better. I also find that CarPlay Spotify does not start for me right away when I use the car for the first time that day. Assume it is looking for a signal, etc. Seems to start up right away in the Tesla. You do need to pay for the connection in the Tesla after the first year, but that is fine with me. You also don't need your phone with you in the Tesla for Spotify and Nav.

I also think the interface is better in the Tesla. Having the huge screen with Spotify built in makes navigating your playlists, etc. so much easier. A recent software update in the Tesla also has a separate menu selection for podcasts, so you can just add your podcasts to Spotify and access them there. I also noticed that Spotify resumes playing where I left off as soon as I open the door to the Tesla - at first I thought it never stopped playing when I left the car, but it does.

The large screen in the Tesla also makes the nav experience better. Being able to pinch to zoom and see so much more of the area surrounding the car is great. Also love the satellite view. The big limitation is no Waze. However, I always run with a radar detector and, as others have said, you can have Waze running on your phone separately. What you can do is just have Waze running with the iPhone screen off and then just listen for notifications about upcoming police, construction, etc.

Voice commands also seem to be better in the Tesla. During my day with the car it was flawless at finding a song, destination or person to call. I love that it shows you on the screen exactly what it heard you say. With my other car, I have no idea what it heard until it responds.

I did not find a way to access Audible from the screen in the Tesla, but I guess you can just access that directly from your phone and stream to the car. When listening to a book I rarely need to interact withe the CarPlay screen other than to pause the reading of the book.

If you use the Amazon Alexa app on your phone and install the Amazon Echo Auto device in your vehicle you can speak Alexa commands at any time and the Alexa app will hear it via the Echo Auto. Alexa, via the Alexa skills, can be used to play Tunein, SiriusXM, Pandora, and Audible. Alexa can even read your Kindle library selections aloud. Alexa can play Amazon Music and Apple Music. All of these audio programs play through the Tesla audio system via bluetooth.

I have only rented a MY for a day, but I also have a car with wireless CarPlay and I think the system in the MY works well (better) IF you subscribe to Spotify (which I do).

With CarPlay, you are subject to the reception of your phone for all the services - music, nav, etc. I live in an urban area, but sometimes on road trips I lose a good signal and, consequently, music and nav. The Tesla signal for Nav and Spotify is separate (does not use the phone) and seems to be much better. Not sure where the antenna is in the Tesla, but I did a direct comparison in a rural area near me and the Tesla maintained the signal much better. I also find that CarPlay Spotify does not start for me right away when I use the car for the first time that day. Assume it is looking for a signal, etc. Seems to start up right away in the Tesla. You do need to pay for the connection in the Tesla after the first year, but that is fine with me. You also don't need your phone with you in the Tesla for Spotify and Nav.

I also think the interface is better in the Tesla. Having the huge screen with Spotify built in makes navigating your playlists, etc. so much easier. A recent software update in the Tesla also has a separate menu selection for podcasts, so you can just add your podcasts to Spotify and access them there. I also noticed that Spotify resumes playing where I left off as soon as I open the door to the Tesla - at first I thought it never stopped playing when I left the car, but it does.

The large screen in the Tesla also makes the nav experience better. Being able to pinch to zoom and see so much more of the area surrounding the car is great. Also love the satellite view. The big limitation is no Waze. However, I always run with a radar detector and, as others have said, you can have Waze running on your phone separately. What you can do is just have Waze running with the iPhone screen off and then just listen for notifications about upcoming police, construction, etc.

Voice commands also seem to be better in the Tesla. During my day with the car it was flawless at finding a song, destination or person to call. I love that it shows you on the screen exactly what it heard you say. With my other car, I have no idea what it heard until it responds.

I did not find a way to access Audible from the screen in the Tesla, but I guess you can just access that directly from your phone and stream to the car. When listening to a book I rarely need to interact withe the CarPlay screen other than to pause the reading of the book.
TIn the Model Y, the antenna for FM, LTE and WiFi is located inside the passenger side mirror housing.

Thank you this is helpful. I was hoping to avoid a Spotify subscription but it seems like this would be most similar to the CarPlay experience.

While I'm ok with the Tesla infotainment system, not having CarPlay/Android Auto definitely does not make the Tesla better. I too wish the Tesla provided the option of CarPlay for those who wish to use it; Apple is the industry pioneer and leader in UI and consumer electronics for good reason, and Tesla is trying to reinvent the wheel here.

Tesla is curiously behind the curve for some features standard even in econoboxes: actual functional blind-spot monitor (Tesla only has the lane-change collision monitor), 360 camera, CarPlay, rear cross-traffic monitor, auto-highbeams and auto-wipers that actually work well.

I miss CarPlay. My life is in the Apple ecosystem. That said I am getting used to the Tesla UI and Siri is pretty reliable in controlling my music and podcasts.

The feature I REALLY miss is the rear cross traffic monitor. When backing out of a parking space with cars on either side, it's almost impossible to know if another car is driving by until you've backed out enough to see the cross traffic from the front seat. This, combined with the Model Y's poor rear visibility, makes for a real step backwards in safety compared to any other new car on the road today.

For those who are used to Apple CarPlay or Android Auto the Tesla Model 3, Model Y user interface may not be what you are used as far the Tesla options for music streaming and Navigation.

If you use the Amazon Echo devices at home there is an Amazon Echo Auto device (a microphone array really) that connects to your phone and enables hands free operation of the Amazon Alexa app.

More here: Streaming Service Choice

Apple Carplay enables you to play your iTunes music; the Alexa app can connect to Amazon Music, Apple Music. Also, Alexa can connect to Audible books or even read you any book from your Kindle library.

If you normally use Sirius/XM, you can add an Alexa skill, let Alexa sign into SiriusXM using your SiriusXM account credentials and then Alexa can be directed by your voice, just by speaking "Alexa, Play Classic Rock on SiriusXM" or Alexa, play channel 12 on SiriusXM.

If you have a favorite radio station you can use Alexa to listen; just say, for example "Alexa, play KSFO on Tunein and your radio program will begin streaming through the phone and to the Model Y's audio system.

When you set up the Alexa Auto settings within the Alexa App you specify whether you want to use Apple Maps, Google Maps or Waze. Alexa will provide audible, turn by turn directions through the Model Y's audio system, your phone will display the preferred navigation app.

If you allow the Alexa app access to your phone contacts then Alexa can make phone calls.

To use the Alexa app in the Model Y you just select your phone as the audio source and launch the Alexa App. If you have the Amazon Echo Auto device then there is no need to hit the talk button on your phone, Alexa is always listening, waiting for your next Alexa command.

I've noted in the provided link that the Amazon Echo Auto, normally $49.99 is on sale for Black Friday (04:00 AM to 08:00 AM) for just $19.99 (this offer includes 6 months of Amazon Music Unlimited or you can just order the Echo Auto without the Amazon Music Unlimited offer for the same $19.99)

The only negative with Amazon Alexa app and Amazon Echo Auto is that your music, whether Amazon Music or Apple Music streams via your phone so your phone's data plan, data rates apply.

You can listen to your iTunes music that is already downloaded on your iPhone via bluetooth on the Model Y's audio system but the Amazon Alexa app does not work to control the iTunes music that is playing. You can use the Tesla touch screen or the steering wheel control so pause, play or skip songs in the iTunes playback. The volume control in the Tesla is the left scroll wheel, also there is a volume slider on the lower right side of the Tesla touch screen.
origingalatic, what part of what I wrote made you disagree?

The feature I REALLY miss is the rear cross traffic monitor. When backing out of a parking space with cars on either side, it's almost impossible to know if another car is driving by until you've backed out enough to see the cross traffic from the front seat. This, combined with the Model Y's poor rear visibility, makes for a real step backwards in safety compared to any other new car on the road today.

isnt that what the backup camera is for?

Also, for those who keep promoting Alexa, why can’t you just do Shortcuts in Apple? Siri can call those Shortcuts anytime. In fact there is a community of Shortcuts For Tesla already.

what am I missing ?

origingalatic, what part of what I wrote made you disagree?

two points. While I can appreciate the long instructions and thoughts but you seem to entirely ignore OP’s desire for CarPlay interaction, more than just some spoken command.

Second, I just posted about Shortcuts. OP obviously has an iPhone, why steer down to Alexa ecosystem when everything you pointed out can be done natively with Apple’s shortcuts. If the OP talks about Android Autoplay, sure, I can understand your input.

Reactions: sleepydoc
two points. While I can appreciate the long instructions and thoughts but you seem to entirely ignore OP’s desire for CarPlay interaction, more than just some spoken command.

Second, I just posted about Shortcuts. OP obviously has an iPhone, why steer down to Alexa ecosystem when everything you pointed out can be done natively with Apple’s shortcuts. If the OP talks about Android Autoplay, sure, I can understand your input.
The OP wrote "After having wireless CarPlay for the past two years, getting my phone out of my pocket to do something in my car seems archaic. Please give me advice if you have any, currently I feel like this is a dealbreaker." It seemed to me that the OP left the door open to other means of controlling their iPhone. The Amazon Alexa app does let you control your iPhone including: audio playback; navigation and calling. The Alexa app just happens to do this via voice commands. The OP said nothing about desiring a touch screen interface experience, only that they did not like having to take out their phone.

Maybe I have not spent enough time exploring Apple Siri shortcuts. I use Siri to place calls on my iPhone. I have not been able to get Siri to play TuneIn radio (not TuneIn premium.) So with my phone locked, I asked Siri to play Audible. Siri responded that I need to unlock my iPhone first. I had to pick up my iPhone and use Touch Id to unlock my IPhone, something I don't want to do while driving. (With the Alexa app running I don't need to unlock my phone so that Alexa can play: Apple Music Library, Amazon Music, TuneIn, Audible, Spotify, Pandora, IHeartRadio or read me books from my Kindle Library (I know, it's part of the Amazon ecosystem but it just works, no effort required.)

In a moving Tesla vehicle I'm not sure if my iPhone, having been placed on the wireless charging pad, would wake up if I said "Hey Siri." With the Echo Auto microphone array installed the Alexa app hears me when I speak an Alexa command almost every time, even over road noise and any audio program that is playing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: timeshifter