Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advance Preparation - Getting Ready to get delivery of MX in a week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Guys,

I m expecting my MX delivery in next couple of days. Have been reading here and there about various jobs and add on etc!!! All my previous cars were used and this is first new car so i am confused as to what i really need to do as don't want to spend unnecessary also.

- PPF / Paint protection (Hv spent extra for multi coat paint, do we still need to spend extra on this?)
- DashCam (Would this be helpful?)
- Xpel for door sills and seat backs (Door sills i can understand but seat backs can be simply polished, isn't it?)
- Floor mats (Why we need extra mats if we already have originals)

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

I would recommend spending half an hour at collection just running through the edges of each panel of your model x to spot for paint defects. If it's white you have ordered there are bound to be some. There will be glue they can't get off in the boot too. Check underneath each wing mirror chrome as there will be stains, just make sure it's not rust. The interior will be quite dusty too so be prepared.

I didn't bother with the see through protection, for 40k you can wrap your car in a different colour twice. If going for "ceramic coating" you might as well just wax the car yourself/your driver more often.

Tinted windows is a must, particularly the back boot windscreen as your kids in the back will be exposed to a lot of sun.

Floor mats there are some carpet ones in there already - I just got the massive see through plastic ones in the Sinopec petrol station around the corner for me for HKD180 each. Has worked and fitted beautifully for my S and my X.

Remember to switch off auto doors. Auto doors for the driver seat I mean. You are bound to prang the car parked next to you. Don't fiddle with the active suspension either - just leave it at standard.

As my driver wore jeans and keychains he destroyed my seats in my former 7-seater so consider making him get seat protector for the driver seat.

Yes get a dashcam - too many crap drivers in HK and annoyingly aggressive taxi and service drivers.

Pick up an autotoll tag from the petrol station too. Stick it in the front bottom corner of the windscreen on the driver side.

I would recommend spending half an hour at collection just running through the edges of each panel of your model x to spot for paint defects. If it's white you have ordered there are bound to be some. There will be glue they can't get off in the boot too. Check underneath each wing mirror chrome as there will be stains, just make sure it's not rust. The interior will be quite dusty too so be prepared.

I didn't bother with the see through protection, for 40k you can wrap your car in a different colour twice. If going for "ceramic coating" you might as well just wax the car yourself/your driver more often.

Tinted windows is a must, particularly the back boot windscreen as your kids in the back will be exposed to a lot of sun.

Floor mats there are some carpet ones in there already - I just got the massive see through plastic ones in the Sinopec petrol station around the corner for me for HKD180 each. Has worked and fitted beautifully for my S and my X.

Remember to switch off auto doors. Auto doors for the driver seat I mean. You are bound to prang the car parked next to you. Don't fiddle with the active suspension either - just leave it at standard.

As my driver wore jeans and keychains he destroyed my seats in my former 7-seater so consider making him get seat protector for the driver seat.

Yes get a dashcam - too many crap drivers in HK and annoyingly aggressive taxi and service drivers.

Pick up an autotoll tag from the petrol station too. Stick it in the front bottom corner of the windscreen on the driver side.

Thanks man. Appreciate your detailed comments.

1) I have ordered Multi- Coat red so hoping there would be less issues. I know people with white color have really bad quality paint.
2) I agree 40k is horrible. I already spent extra on this color so hope things would be acceptable. Some people do suggest for some sort of ceramic coating to protect paint. Frankly i never cared in past but i am just wondering what o do for regular maintenance as this being new and expensive car!!! But planning to go for Xpel on door sills and may be seat back also, any comments?
3) Good point on tinted windows, I m sure this i would hv to attend. Any shop u would suggest as i am not very familiar with local market except my only mechanic where i use to bring my old cars.
4) Auto doors and suspension, noted. Its a cool feature for auto door but may not be suitable in hk i guess due to tight spaces.
5) Got all black interior so no worries i guess. (by the way i drive myself as still not have the pleasure to be driven by a driver :))
6) Thinking about blackvue 650 2ch or Thinkware F770.

Cheers

Thanks. Do u mean to replace interior light bulbs or add extra as never heard before? Anyway i will check more on this. If you have some info, please do share with me.
I have a MS. These are not the dome lights. The lights in the trunk is too dim. I often find myself turning on the lights on my iPhone to look for things. Found out from googling that there is a company that sells replacement lights for all Tesla. Do a search in YouTube for "Abstract Ocean" and you will find how bright these are. I have replaced all my lights in the trunk, frunk, lights in the doors shinning downwards and the footwell lights in the car except for the red ones and the one in the glove compartment. replaced 12 out of 17 lights in total for MS. I believe there are 11 whites and 2 reds for MX. Very happy with the result, esp the trunk. It's quite hard to remove some of the lights. The tool they sell helps a little and is a must if you don't wanna risk scratching the surface with a screwdriver. Hope this helps

Reactions: mkq786

1) I have ordered Multi- Coat red so hoping there would be less issues. I know people with white color have really bad quality paint.
2) I agree 40k is horrible. I already spent extra on this color so hope things would be acceptable. Some people do suggest for some sort of ceramic coating to protect paint. Frankly i never cared in past but i am just wondering what o do for regular maintenance as this being new and expensive car!!! But planning to go for Xpel on door sills and may be seat back also, any comments?
3) Good point on tinted windows, I m sure this i would hv to attend. Any shop u would suggest as i am not very familiar with local market except my only mechanic where i use to bring my old cars.
4) Auto doors and suspension, noted. Its a cool feature for auto door but may not be suitable in hk i guess due to tight spaces.
5) Got all black interior so no worries i guess. (by the way i drive myself as still not have the pleasure to be driven by a driver :))

Cheers
I had a KeePer Diamond treatment done on my MS, and am very happy with it. My last car, an MB E350 cabrio had already had the treatment done when I bought it, and I have never sold a car in such good condition, completely scratch-free after 3 years. On the basis of what I had read about Tesla paint quality, I decided that it was worth spending some money on protection. I think it cost around HK$9k. The care definitely seemed and seems glossier after the treatment, and is thankfully still scratch-free.

Cheers

2) I looked at ceramic coating too. It's advertised as lasting 3 years, but I kinda doubt it, unless somebody who has done it will correct me. I think that's around 25k too. I wrapped my model S in matte grey for that amount and it looks sweet. Not sure you need Xpel on the seat back etc? A bit pricey for a bit of clingfilm like stuff on the back of seats which will get scratched by the kids anyway?

3) I had my S tinted by wrapworkz when I got it wrapped. Around 2k or so I remember. Will go to them again and do the tinting with a dechrome package for the X. But if tinting I think there are a lot of local companies that do it.

6) I also need to get a camera for the X. But I don't know if you can apply the same principles as the S and get a Blackvue so that you can hide the wires because of the glass windscreen? Anybody else have any ideas?

3) I had my S tinted by wrapworkz when I got it wrapped. Around 2k or so I remember. Will go to them again and do the tinting with a dechrome package for the X. But if tinting I think there are a lot of local companies that do it.

Cannot stress enough how much I was disappointed with WW. I thought it would be safe since they had posted many Model S jobs they took on. Went in for a simple de-chrome on an MS that was only days old and they wound up scratching the car with the razor blade they used to cut the wrap. The repair job was also botched. Only go there if you want shotty workmanship. There are better places for the price they charge.

6) I also need to get a camera for the X. But I don't know if you can apply the same principles as the S and get a Blackvue so that you can hide the wires because of the glass windscreen? Anybody else have any ideas?

Equipping a Tesla Model X with BlackVue’s Full HD dashcam

2) I looked at ceramic coating too. It's advertised as lasting 3 years, but I kinda doubt it, unless somebody who has done it will correct me. I think that's around 25k too. I wrapped my model S in matte grey for that amount and it looks sweet. Not sure you need Xpel on the seat back etc? A bit pricey for a bit of clingfilm like stuff on the back of seats which will get scratched by the kids anyway?

Thanks.

Seems ceramic also very expensive. Anyway i will shop around first. Someone quoted me for Xpel at HKD4400 for six seat back cover and free door sills.

As per various posts and videos, i have seen, blackvue is a good choice and can hide all the cables etc.

Cannot stress enough how much I was disappointed with WW. I thought it would be safe since they had posted many Model S jobs they took on. Went in for a simple de-chrome on an MS that was only days old and they wound up scratching the car with the razor blade they used to cut the wrap. The repair job was also botched. Only go there if you want shotty workmanship. There are better places for the price they charge.

Equipping a Tesla Model X with BlackVue’s Full HD dashcam

Thanks.

Any other suggestions for tinted windows?

Did u get blackvue personally? How is the result?

For window tinting, is there any problem in compliance with HK law after the tinting or the shop would choose the right product which complies with the law and serves the light blocking function.

I think the police only stop you if the tint is too dark in the front seats (there is a legal limit which the tinting shop know about). Back seats go dark as you like as they don't care. Even if you are stopped for the front seats, you are just told to rip it off and you present the car again to them for inspection.

• Helpful
Reactions: canon
Where to find the pedals?

amazon or if you want to go closer/ cheaper, Taobao

For window tinting, is there any problem in compliance with HK law after the tinting or the shop would choose the right product which complies with the law and serves the light blocking function.

a legit tint place will show you which tint levels comply with legal limits and will even give you a letter to submit to TD if you want to take your car in for compliance inspection.

Reactions: canon