Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advanced Autopilot question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a M3 that had autopilot included, and I just paid $4000 for advanced autopilot. I wanted it for navigate on autopilot. I tried a drive today. I put in “Home” on the map to navigate to and then turned on autopilot. I assumed it would follow the route on the map, but I came to a right turn and the map on the screen showed I should turn right, but the car kept driving straight! Am I missing something - I assumed navigate on autopilot would follow the route on the map, what did I do wrong? If it doesn’t I am struggling to see what I got for my $4000 (and want to know while I am in my 48 h refund period)

thank you!

Hi, I have a M3 that had autopilot included, and I just paid $4000 for advanced autopilot. I wanted it for navigate on autopilot. I tried a drive today. I put in “Home” on the map to navigate to and then turned on autopilot. I assumed it would follow the route on the map, but I came to a right turn and the map on the screen showed I should turn right, but the car kept driving straight! Am I missing something - I assumed navigate on autopilot would follow the route on the map, what did I do wrong? If it doesn’t I am struggling to see what I got for my $4000 (and want to know while I am in my 48 h refund period)

thank you!

Navigate on Autopilot only works on limited access highways. It follows route and will do lane changes automatically but only on highways from on ramp to off ramp. It will not make 90 degree turns at intersections. You know when you have Navigate on AP on because you will see a single blue line on the screen in the middle of the lane. If you see 2 blue lane lines on the screen, that is normal AP, not Navigate on AP. You also need to turn Navigate on AP on in your AP settings. Normal AP will not follow route.

Navigate on Autopilot only works on limited access highways. It follows route and will do lane changes automatically but only on highways from on ramp to off ramp. It will not make 90 degree turns at intersections. You know when you have Navigate on AP on because you will see a single blue line on the screen in the middle of the lane. If you see 2 blue lane lines on the screen, that is normal AP, not Navigate on AP. You also need to turn Navigate on AP on in your AP settings. Normal AP will not follow route.

Thank you. Can I just confirm what you mean by “limited highway”? Also, would the car make 90 degree turns with FSD?

Thank you. Can I just confirm what you mean by “limited highway”? Also, would the car make 90 degree turns with FSD?

"limited access highway" are highways with no connecting side roads. For example, a major interstate with only on ramps and off ramps.

No, FSD does not do 90 degree turns yet. That is coming in a future update at some point. Presumably, the coming later feature "autosteer on city streets" will do it but it has not been released yet.

I've wondered how it will do 90 degree turns, particularly right turns against red lights. I know one of the front facing cameras is wide angle but is it enough to see oncoming traffic? Unless the car relies on radar for these.

I wonder that too? Also, where it stops at some stop signs, you have to creep so far forward to see where you are turning. Interesting to see if they actually delivery “automatic driving on city streets”.

I've wondered how it will do 90 degree turns, particularly right turns against red lights. I know one of the front facing cameras is wide angle but is it enough to see oncoming traffic? Unless the car relies on radar for these.
I wonder that too? Also, where it stops at some stop signs, you have to creep so far forward to see where you are turning. Interesting to see if they actually delivery “automatic driving on city streets”.

The demo video shows that it can do a 90 degree left turn on a 3-way street with heavy traffic at a stop sign fine.

Autopilot

upload_2020-9-25_19-41-9.png

I suspect that when current hardware/software will not be reliable in some scenarios, we'll just have to pay additionally to get better hardware/software.

HW4 is in the work. If that's still not enough, Tesla might just have to cave and add additional radar, LIDAR...

By the way, the new promise is no longer “automatic driving on city streets”, it's “autosteer on city streets”

• Funny
Reactions: boonedocks
When you are in Navigate on Autopilot mode, look at the route directions on your center display. If the steering wheel is blue, it means that NOA will be able to take that turn. A grey steering wheel or no steering wheel at all means you have to execute the turn. Here is an example. The video below will show you this in action and should start at the 2:01:58 mark.

upload_2020-9-26_13-48-50.png

The demo video shows that it can do a 90 degree left turn on a 3-way street with heavy traffic at a stop sign fine.

Autopilot

View attachment 592345

I suspect that when current hardware/software will not be reliable in some scenarios, we'll just have to pay additionally to get better hardware/software.

HW4 is in the work. If that's still not enough, Tesla might just have to cave and add additional radar, LIDAR...

By the way, the new promise is no longer “automatic driving on city streets”, it's “autosteer on city streets”

The B-Pillar Cameras have a surprisingly wide field of view forward and to the sides, directly overlapping with the front-facing wide-view camera. This should enable navigating intersections with oncoming cross-traffic, including mimicing a human (creep forward)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 7.27.08 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2020-09-27 at 7.27.08 pm.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 35