Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Advanced" setting on software updates seems to be working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

diplomat33

Average guy who loves autonomous vehicles
Aug 3, 2017
USA
I definitely seem to be getting software updates faster on "advanced". Now, I get "my" update within days of it showing up on teslafi. For example, I may not get 2019.28.1 but when 2019.28.2 comes out and it is meant for my car, I get it almost immediately. In the past, I used to wait weeks before getting "my" update.

So "advanced" may not give you "early access" but it does seem to push out the designated update for your car quicker.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
I definitely seem to be getting software updates faster on "advanced". Now, I get "my" update within days of it showing up on teslafi. For example, I may not get 2019.28.1 but when 2019.28.2 comes out and it is meant for my car, I get it almost immediately. In the past, I used to wait weeks before getting "my" update.

So "advanced" may not give you "early access" but it does seem to push out the designated update for your car quicker.

Haha. My 3 and X are both on advanced but haven't noticed too much of a difference, albeit its only been 1-2 update cycles since. My X is actually still on 24.4.3.... in the single digits percentile if you see Teslafi as a surrogate for real world distribution. I even purchased FSD recently, hoping it would bump me up the line but no luck so far.

• Helpful
Reactions: diplomat33
There's so much variability in the process that, from outside Tesla and assuming no trust of them, we'd need some meticulous data collection over dozens or hundreds of vehicles, and likely over several releases, followed by competent statistical analyses to make a determination of whether the "Advanced" software updates setting is doing anything. One person's anecdotal reports, yea or nay, over half a dozen updates means precisely Jack squat. Collecting a bunch of peoples' subjective assessments, without precise data collection and data analysis, means barely more than Jack squat -- certainly not enough to draw conclusions. More broadly speaking, people are very good at seeing patterns -- so good that we see them where they don't exist or where we have inadequate data (and therefore we draw incorrect conclusions).

Reactions: HankLloydRight

It may seem that way, but I'm pretty sure that it is just coincidence. The latest updates have been quickly deployed fleet-wide.

It will really be apparent if you get V10 before others. But don't forget, the promise does seem to be only for early FSD holders.

Reactions: diplomat33
I have FSD purchased at delivery in 2017. Setting on advanced. Still on 2019.24.4 with no pending updates. The Advanced switch does seem to lead to earlier updates but it’s no guarantee that you will be on the front edge still.

04D10867-FF51-4966-9849-0257893A58A9.jpeg

my guess would be that no WiFi can make it through all that dirt. Wash your car dangit that’s terrible :D:rolleyes::) J/K

I have FSD purchased at delivery in 2017. Setting on advanced. Still on 2019.24.4 with no pending updates. The Advanced switch does seem to lead to earlier updates but it’s no guarantee that you will be on the front edge still.
UPDATE: got 28.2 in the second wave. Nothing in the first wave that got AP2 to 30% on TeslaFi, but got it in the wave that got AP2 to 57%

Soooooo yeah my experience is “earlier than average but not always in the first wave”

We still aren't seeing Advanced having any noticeable difference. In our "family fleet", we currently have five cars. Three of them are set to Advanced and the two are on the Standard setting.

For the recent 2019.28.3.1 update, the two cars on the Standard setting got the update the day before or the same day as two of the cars on the Advanced setting.