TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Advanced summons

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Jamesw500S, Sep 28, 2019.

1. Jamesw500S

Jamesw500S New Member

I just tried my summons option in a busy Publix’s parking lot and wow was that entertaining. Worked great!

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

It’s summon. And cool!

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. kavyboy

kavyboy Active Member

Summon is for when it works. Summons is for when it doesn't.

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  4. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Got a point there..

5. Airport Dog

Airport Dog Member

#5 Airport Dog, Sep 28, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    Smart summon requires strong mobile coverage for both the car and your mobile phone. If you have weak coverage, summon may fail in the middle of the operation. This happened to me several times. My car stopped and parked itself in the middle of my low-traffic street.

If Tesla's goal is that my car can follow me around like my dog does, there is a long way to go. My dog's summon function works flawlessly even without mobile coverage, and so far the car is batting zero.

6. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

Oh, glad you corrected it. I thought he was going to have to go to court :D
    Amazing to me that everyone tries this stuff in the busiest places when it is not intended for that. I wonder how many accidents are going to happen this week ;)

7. jlucero

jlucero Member

can all tesla do this advanced summons? or only current ones? i have a 2015 70D, but i dont see any "come to me" in the app. i thought i was current in the updates too

8. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

Autopilot 2+ cars only - October 2016 and forward.

9. dannycamps

dannycamps Member

I tried to summon today in a relatively empty mall parking lot. I expected the car to back out the spot and drive to me. Instead, the car started to pull forward. I immediately stopped it - thankfully because there was a car parked in front of mine. When I got to the car, it looked like it turned the wheels like it was going to attempt to go around the car parked in front of it. Just seems like an odd decision for the car to make.

10. bwilson4web

bwilson4web hit the spot

In the evening on the way home, I often stop at a local restaurant and bar with a large parking lot after taking the dogs to their park. Sitting at the bar talking with other patrons and the staff, I brag about how bright our dogs are and when I get ready to leave, I invite them to watch.

Using summon, the Tesla wakes up and drives to me and the happy dogs sit up in the front seats. "See, they are driving the car to me."

Bob Wilson

• Funny x 2
  11. r1200gs4ok

r1200gs4ok Active Member

went to dinner couple days ago and when we left, I wanted to show my brother-in-law how my car would come to me......we were in a large parking lot, only 3 or 4 cars.......it was drizzly also........had clear direct line of sight to car about 130 feet away.....I pressed the come to me summons button and the car turned on and backed up out of the parking spot.......then it stopped......would not move forward.....I released the bottom and tried again......came to life and did nothing......I am not sure whether it was me or something with the system.....gonna go back and look at manual and see what I did wrong.....I was slightly embarrassed....hehehehe

12. kg7jo-

kg7jo- Member

I also tried it a few days ago on 19.36.2.1. Man, the car was going sloooow compare to what I first got it. I think Tesla intentionally did this to avoid having to deal with improving Advanced Summon.