Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advantages of FSD right now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say user initiated auto-lane changes are safer during freeway driving than manual lane changes.

But, that's really the only thing you'll gain with FSD.

Tesla is really good about putting all the safety functions into the autopilot that comes with the car. So you don't have to buy an expensive option just to get the active safety like some other car companies do.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
It is not entirely clear to me if the red light/stop sign stopping feature will or will not be incorporated into non-FSD cars. There is this thread - Red Light Warning on Non-FSD M3 with Full Self Driving Visualization Preview?
If it is only available on FSD, then your car seeing and responding to a red light or stop sign that you don't see is what I would characterize as a safety function.
I believe that generally, Tesla incorporates all safety features into all their cars, since reducing accidents and the severity of accidents is a priority for the company (as it should be).

It is not entirely clear to me if the red light/stop sign stopping feature will or will not be incorporated into non-FSD cars.

It's very clear- that feature is explicitly listed under FSD. So basic AP cars won't get it.

They do get the "WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO RUN A RED LIGHT" message though (and have for a while now)

The "but it's safer!" argument kinda falls apart if you take it to its logical conclusion...if Tesla gets FSD working at L5, it'll be inherently safer than a human ever driving it. That doesn't mean they're going to give it away for free.

• Love
Reactions: rsmphoto
It's very clear- that feature is explicitly listed under FSD. So basic AP cars won't get it.

They do get the "WARNING YOU ARE ABOUT TO RUN A RED LIGHT" message though (and have for a while now)

The "but it's safer!" argument kinda falls apart if you take it to its logical conclusion...if Tesla gets FSD working at L5, it'll be inherently safer than a human ever driving it. That doesn't mean they're going to give it away for free.

Fair enough, but it wouldn't stop them from incorporating SOME of the features (such as stopping at a red light that the driver is about to go through) into all their cars.

I have the SR+ and did not purchase FSD. I doubt that I will ever use FSD even if and when it is functional, but I am interested in having every possible safety function available. Do any of you think that the FSD upgrade could be justified in my case?
Seems apparent that FSD processing speed improvements would allow the system/car to react faster. A main reason I'm getting it ... safety.

"Tesla claimed that the new system would process 2,300 frames per second (fps), which is a 21x improvement in image processing compared to hardware 2.5 which is capable of 110 fps.[104][105] ... Tesla claims HW3 has 2.5x improved performance over HW2.5" -- Tesla Autopilot - Wikipedia

That's a BIT misleading- that the cameras can't feed it anywhere near 2300 fps.

Currently Tesla runs 7 cameras at 36 fps, and the rear camera at 30 fps... for a total of of 282 fps of input.

Also not sure where they got 110 fps for HW2.5... if you actually click on that 104 footnote it goes to an article quoting Elon Musk as saying HW2.5 did 200 fps.

The max the 7 cameras are capable of at full resolution is 45 fps, rear is maxxed at 30 so they'd need to do a 3:2 pulldown kinda deal with the re-write that tries to build a full 360 realtime picture using all the cameras at once.

Still, that's only 345 fps max input from the cameras even if they switch all they can to max speed.

That's a BIT misleading- that the cameras can't feed it anywhere near 2300 fps.
Currently Tesla runs 7 cameras at 36 fps, and the rear camera at 30 fps... for a total of of 282 fps of input.
Also not sure where they got 110 fps for HW2.5... if you actually click on that 104 footnote it goes to an article quoting Elon Musk as saying HW2.5 did 200 fps.
The max the 7 cameras are capable of at full resolution is 45 fps, rear is maxxed at 30 so they'd need to do a 3:2 pulldown kinda deal with the re-write that tries to build a full 360 realtime picture using all the cameras at once.
Still, that's only 345 fps max input from the cameras even if they switch all they can to max speed.
So do you think they are talking about being able to handle future cameras or maxing these cameras out ?

Or doing additional processing on each frame with their extra power on FSD cars?

21 times is mentioned in many articles and places including Tesla presentation slides. 2300 / 21 = ~110

Tesla on Twitter
QgjTbDS.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say user initiated auto-lane changes are safer during freeway driving than manual lane changes.

But, that's really the only thing you'll gain with FSD.

Tesla is really good about putting all the safety functions into the autopilot that comes with the car. So you don't have to buy an expensive option just to get the active safety like some other car companies do.
Well, I would add a little to this. Agree on your point, but also to say that even when not changing lanes it "can" help prevent an accident on occasion. Fortunately in over 800,000 miles of driving, I never created an accident, but just a few days ago, I started straying away from my lane and into another lane when distracted by a passenger. I was not on any kind of lane assist or FSD at the time and came close to hitting another car. Yea, I know that FSD is not the same as lane keeping features. Just saying, I usually have FSD on and it makes me more comfortable driving. For some people it seems to make them more anxious, for me, no.

Reactions: scottf200
I currently have an EAP M3 and just received the reduced price FSD upgrade for $3000. From the list of current and upcoming features, it seems like the Autosteer on City Street may be the only new feature I may received in the short term. Can someone help clarify?

I am tempted to get the upgrade for HW3 to future proof the car. Any opinion if this is worth the $3k or should I just wait another 6-12 months when we have more clarity into the FSD capability at the expense of paying $2000+ more?

I currently have an EAP M3 and just received the reduced price FSD upgrade for $3000. From the list of current and upcoming features, it seems like the Autosteer on City Street may be the only new feature I may received in the short term. Can someone help clarify?

I am tempted to get the upgrade for HW3 to future proof the car. Any opinion if this is worth the $3k or should I just wait another 6-12 months when we have more clarity into the FSD capability at the expense of paying $2000+ more?

You'd also get the stoplight/stopsign stuff EAP doesn't have.

And, when ready, presumable reverse summon (which is not an offically listed feature, but Elon has specifically cited as coming)

It is not entirely clear to me if the red light/stop sign stopping feature will or will not be incorporated into non-FSD cars. There is this thread - Red Light Warning on Non-FSD M3 with Full Self Driving Visualization Preview?
If it is only available on FSD, then your car seeing and responding to a red light or stop sign that you don't see is what I would characterize as a safety function.
I believe that generally, Tesla incorporates all safety features into all their cars, since reducing accidents and the severity of accidents is a priority for the company (as it should be).
Have you seen this? Apparently a Burger King sign was interpreted by a Tesla as a stop sign, which prompted Burger King to make a pretty comical commercial.

Tesla's Autopilot confused a Burger King sign for a stop sign. The fast-food chain turned it into an ad.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
  • Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL