Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Adventures in Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Preaching to the choir here, I know, but just wanted to share that I’m yet again stoked at how this car works for adventuring into remote areas for mountain biking, ski/splitboard touring, hiking, …

My latest adventure was a 372+ mi RT same-day drive into the North Cascades National Park for spring turns (average 267 Wh/mi, 100 kW total). Two charger stops (40 minutes @Burlington & 10 @Arlington, resp) to get it done easily. I did this trip last October and needed some emergency L2 charging in Newhalem since I didn't route-plan well. Longer trip report for both on the EV Adventuring FB group and some pics on my insta.

The exceptionally well-built out Supercharger network in Washington state (West Coast in general) makes no remote destination out of reach by Tesla. Being able to visit and enjoy these locations without spoiling them with exhaust fumes and noise (and oil leaks) ftw.

Couple bits of advice: although I’ve yet to have a mishap, things that I recommend for going off the beaten path:
  1. Spare tire (I use Modern Spare)
  2. 12V pump and plug kit
  3. Turn off cabin overheat protection, sentry, etc for long stays at remote trailheads
  4. Use full regen in the mountains (or always) :)
  5. Carry your key card in your wallet
  6. Have a great playlist on your Bluetooth phone for long drives with no cellular
  7. Carry a satellite messaging device for emergencies
  8. I’ve got every plug adapter that Tesla sells + some of the third party campsite ones
  9. PlugShare all the way!

68FBCC80-6CC1-4A95-9F88-097ECE7CC58D.jpeg

I’m going to post some other pics here, and welcome any others to post your pics of mountain/desert/wilderness adventures by Model 3 as well.

Last edited:
Love the scenic pics! When I road tripped from Oklahoma to Chicago IL. I took advice from the forum and took a plug kit and compressor with me as well luckily did not have to use it. Plotted the trip to charge at SC along the way, obviously was not as remote as you.

First experience with unavoidable undercarriage scraping yesterday due to mega potholes on the access road to the northern Skookum Flats trailhead (FR73), Washington state. Cosmetic only, but really thinking hard again about the suspension lift kit from MPP…

It's one of those "I'll add it eventually" mods I plan on doing, if nothing else to hopefully avoid tearing something up when I (or autopilot) inevitability runs over a crappy semi tire re-tread that has come off and is lying in the middle of the freeway... :rolleyes:

Ape Canyon TH to ride Ape Canyon and Plains of Abraham. 458mi RT, average 278 Wh/mi, with a mountain bike on the back. Two charges at the 250kW Kelso Supercharger (once each out and back). ‘19 LR AWD 3.

BTW, do not trust Tesla’s navigation system within Mount Saint Helens environs; it will try to route you up abandoned, gated, forest roads. And there is no cell service anywhere for many miles. Take a physical map with you.

BA9B55E0-01CB-42C2-845E-F8CF56608CC9.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy and KenC