Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice: 2015 Model S 70D 20K Miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Err0r

May 26, 2017
TX
Hello all,

Possible future Tesla owner here. Just wanted to get your advice on a Tesla I put a down payment on and finalizing on the paperwork on.

Purchasing from a private dealer.

2015 Model S 70D. Has 20k miles, Pano, Air Suspension, Autopilot. Price is $61k. This is the cheapest 2015 I have seen with the packages on it. I know the miles are a little up there, but this thing is really clean.

Any advice if this is a good deal and anything I need to look out for from a Tesla pro? I am still learning more and more about the Tesla's, so anything I should ask or look for, I would appreciate the advice/input. :)

I got an 85D CPO with the same specs minus the air suspension and 10k miles for 71k in January. Given I got a better battery and half the mileage for 10k more, I don't think the deal your getting is that far off from what you can get via CPO route.

My specs are in my signature.

Would it still be protected under the 4yr/50k miles and battery at 8yrs unlimited mileage?

Yes. That is what I understood from reading the language. Your new car warranty is in effect no matter where you bought it from as long as you meet the requirements as you stated (speedometer within 50,000 miles, car's age within 4 years... infinite miles for main battery and drive unit within the age of 8 years...)

Would it still be protected under the 4yr/50k miles and battery at 8yrs unlimited mileage?
The difference between buying from a private party and a CPO from Tesla is that with the CPO the 4 year/50,000 mile warranty starts from the date you purchase it. With the private party sale it starts from the original purchase date and mileage.

Buying a 2015 with 20,000 miles means that you have about two years — depending on the date of the original sale — or 30,000 miles left on the bumper-to-bumper warranty coverage.

That said, D models with Autopilot are relatively uncommon as CPOs in the lower end of the price range. There is an 85D with with about 26k miles for $67,500, but that's the least expensive that I see at the moment. I'd expect that one to be gone quickly.

I think that the car you are looking at appears to be a good deal.

My 2¢.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Decided to just go ahead with a new one. Ended up 12k over what I wanted to spend including the EV incentive, but I think it would be well worth it to have a brand new 2017 over used and also have the new enhanced auto pilot hardware available and was able to get white like I originally wanted.

Can't wait ! Expected delivery end of June.