Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice about Tesla own insurance and it's really high premium

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello. First a small back story so I just moved to Texas from MA. My premium before Tesla with progressive was $600 at bi-yearly. After I got Tesla it shot up to $950 and now in Texas I am being charged $1100 every 6 months.

Decided to try Tesla app as I see a lot of people getting good monthly rate for safe driving. When I took a look it is saying I'll be $200 a month ($1200 every 6 months) with a score of 90. Is this something that happens until they start tracking you?

The reason I ask is because I am disappointed how I have driven for 17 years without any record of speeding or accidents but continue to pay a lot with the excuse being "those cars has others speeding or getting into accidents that is why you also suffer".

Any advice in regards to how the rate drops? I always keep my distance, try to do slow breaking as I want my wife and family to feel relaxed and able to sleep on long drives.

P.S. Does regenerative breaking cause drivers to get bad scores down the line? I rarely ever use my breaks unless someone cuts right in front of me quickly.

Thank you for all the advice and help

When I took a look it is saying I'll be $200 a month ($1200 every 6 months) with a score of 90. Is this something that happens until they start tracking you?
Yes, the first two months are based on a predefined 90 score. See near the end of this Tesla article:

I decided not getting the insurance from Tesla because I noticed that if someone cut you off, by changing lane, your score goes down
because Tesla consideres that you you were driving too close to an other car and you are braking too hard.

There is no possibility to contact Tesla with videos or pictures to reverse back you good score.

Reactions: 101dals
Being that you are in Texas, try getting a quote from Mercury Insurance. I’ve had them for several years and their rates are pretty good. I have them for home owners too, and they didn’t give me any hassle about paying out for roof replacement claim last year after a hail storm. I am paying Mercury half of what Tesla wants to insure my MYP.