Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice and experience purchasing "used" M3 w/ < 200 miles from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

Last week we put a deposit down on a Model 3 (blue exterior, b/w interior, std range+, 19" wheels) with less than 200 miles that was listed on the used Tesla page. We plan to add FSD. Manufactured 5/19. It was returned but we have no information about the reason. Photos and description do not ID any flaws. Purchasing this car would save us about $2500 over the same new car (yes, considering all of the rebates). However, we didn't realize when we put the deposit down that we couldn't even drive it before taking possession. We're wondering whether we should pull the plug and put a deposit down on a new car but are worried that we won't get it at least a week before we go on winter break (for the 2019 tax break and 7-day trial period).

I would appreciate experience/advice others can offer about this transaction, good, bad and ugly.

Did you make a similar purchase and was it a positive or negative experience?

Would those of you with more experience with Tesla problems take a risk and purchase a "used" car with no return policy. It does have a 4 yr/50k warranty.

What should we look out for when inspecting the car?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

I have said this a million times here, but personally I would never buy a current model USED tesla from tesla with that low miles, since we know it was returned. We dont know WHY it was returned, but we know it was returned. Why take a chance on the very real possibility that it was returned for "issues" that the original purchaser didnt want to deal with?

Is that really worth 2500 over the time period one will own a car? Not for me it isnt. YMMV

I have said a thousand times, I would buy a current model USED Tesla from Tesla with low miles. For about a year now, Tesla has offered this 7-day trial or bring it back no questions asked policy. Sounds bold to me. They were willing change the way people buy cars, makes me want to belief in them. What ever the reason or issue the first buyers may have had, I am confident Tesla would make the car as right brand new one. Tesla also has sold NEW Tesla's with more than 200 miles because they were used as demo's. Not a big deal. Still has that new car smell and all the warranty.

I think that $2500 savings is worth taking the chance. Heck at today's rate it's almost haft the price of that FSD he intends to buy anyway.

I have said a thousand times, I would buy a current model USED Tesla from Tesla with low miles. For about a year now, Tesla has offered this 7-day trial or bring it back no questions asked policy. Sounds bold to me. They were willing change the way people buy cars, makes me want to belief in them. What ever the reason or issue the first buyers may have had, I am confident Tesla would make the car as right brand new one. Tesla also has sold NEW Tesla's with more than 200 miles because they were used as demo's. Not a big deal. Still has that new car smell and all the warranty.

I think that $2500 savings is worth taking the chance. Heck at today's rate it's almost haft the price of that FSD he intends to buy anyway.

We obviously have different risk tolerances. why anyone would CHOOSE to buy someone elses reject I dont know. I also dont buy "open box" products at stores either though. Someone else returned it, so I dont want it. In my opinion its much safer to buy a car that has a few thousand miles on it as a demo, than one with 200 miles or something that we KNOW was returned for "reasons".

I dont see 2500 over the course of a 5-6 year car ownership as a "lot of money" to buy someone elses returned car. You see it differently.

/shrug.

• Disagree
Reactions: Daniel_6
Could just be a scratch or a body panel that Tesla has adjusted already. Hard to tell.

Anytime you buy something with some story, you are usually given a discount. $2,500 sounds significant to me. Would pay for a nice vacation to Hawaii :)

It could have been most anything, from something wrong, or that his wife did not like the color.

OP will have a chance to look the car over prior to taking delivery, just like everyone else. Nobody gets to "test drive" their new car before making payment.

Getting early delivery, in this case, also has some value.

Wish I got offered $2,500 off on mine.

Assuming you are local to the car, don't have to pay the 2k to transport it and can see it in advance? If so go look at it before signing. 2500 savings is substantial, all the used ones I have seen were only a few hundred off and once the 2k freight was added and rebate loss figured in the used ones cost much more. I had to refuse the first car I was offered due to paint and panel gap issues, they then assigned it to someone else and I am sure it was sent the same way I saw it... What someone else may find an issue there are others that wouldn't mind. So if it were me I would have to see it first. If they are shipping sight unseen I would pass.

I’ve never seen a used Model 3 with that low mileage that was really $2,500 less than buying a new one after factoring in both the $1,875 Federal and $2,500 CA credits/rebates. Some upper income people don’t qualify for the CA rebate so that may be a factor here.

Personally I would not buy a used Model 3 from Tesla. I want the right to inspect the car fully before committing to it and I would not buy a car that was returned without knowing why it was returned. And if they have to transport it and charge me $2,000 to do so that generally makes the deal cost even more than a new one.

Reactions: N5329K and outdoors
Thanks, everyone, for your input. Yes, they don't offer the 7-day/1k return policy on used vehicles. We wouldn't hesitate if we actually had 7 days to drive and inspect the car but plunking down 50+k on a vehicle after only having the opportunity to inspect for physical defects requires a big leap of faith. Yes, we're local to the car so we have the luxury of an in-person inspection without the 2k delivery fee. It's helpful to hear your risk tolerances because you know the issues that arise with these cars.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Yes, they don't offer the 7-day/1k return policy on used vehicles. We wouldn't hesitate if we actually had 7 days to drive and inspect the car but plunking down 50+k on a vehicle after only having the opportunity to inspect for physical defects requires a big leap of faith. Yes, we're local to the car so we have the luxury of an in-person inspection without the 2k delivery fee. It's helpful to hear your risk tolerances because you know the issues that arise with these cars.

I was local to the used one I found with only 100 miles on it. But like you mentioned I didn’t feel comfortable taking the car without that 7 day return policy.

You can see it so that’s the best case scenario. If there is anything wrong you will know immediately. You rarely hear someone with a mechanical issues. So if it looks good buy it! Good luck!

Reactions: Akikiki