Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Appreciated Re: NEMA 14:50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to echo what the other folks have said - sounds a bit pricey. I would recommend getting a second bid.

I would tell the electrician that you want a 50-amp RV outlet put in the garage, don't bother telling them what it's for.

Of course, this is kind of hard when the Model S is parked in the driveway :) But, yes, get three quotes. There is often several thousand dollars between the lowest and the highest.

for comparison, I recently got a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage from one of the 3 companies recommended by the local Tesla store (Vancouver BC). I don't own a Tesla but am just looking into everything first.

The quote was ~C$3600, including $500 for permit and time dealing with the application and inspector, and also included a "load calculation as required by Tesla" for C$140. My existing breaker panel is full, so the job requires installing a new subpanel, as well as running a new line perhaps 40 ft outside along an exterior wall from the house to the garage. None of the new wiring needs to be fished through finished walls.

I was originally guessing it might cost 1/3 ~ 1/4 of that, so the actual quote amount came as a bit of a surprise. if I decide to proceed I will first get some other quotes.

for comparison, I recently got a quote for a NEMA 14-50 outlet in my garage from one of the 3 companies recommended by the local Tesla store (Vancouver BC). I don't own a Tesla but am just looking into everything first.

The quote was ~C$3600, including $500 for permit and time dealing with the application and inspector, and also included a "load calculation as required by Tesla" for C$140. My existing breaker panel is full, so the job requires installing a new subpanel, as well as running a new line perhaps 40 ft outside along an exterior wall from the house to the garage. None of the new wiring needs to be fished through finished walls.

I was originally guessing it might cost 1/3 ~ 1/4 of that, so the actual quote amount came as a bit of a surprise. if I decide to proceed I will first get some other quotes.
Yeah, I'd definitely shop that one around... my distance wasn't quite as long as yours, but I went with Teck cable upsized from what was required by code (more copper = more dollars!!). I got a 14-50 socket installed and the HPWC for less than $900 taxes in. They pulled the permit, looked after everything. Of course, I supplied the HPWC, so that purchase isn't included in my noted cost!

Mine was $1600 for 1 breaker, 75' #8 wire in drop ceiling, a few feet of EMT conduit, and the 14-50 outlet in the garage. This was from the Tesla-recommended guy. I got another quote which was $650, but frankly I didn't trust the guy even though he claimed to have done several installations for Teslas. I think I got overcharged, but I'm already spending so much money that I couldn't worry about it. I went with the Tesla-recommended guy (of which there is only one in the area). When his workers finished I took a look and the bottom opening of the outlet was a right-angle 7 shape instead of just straight. They had to replace the outlet before they left. (They showed me the box the outlet came in and the picture on the outside looked correct, it just didn't quite match what came in the box. Still, I'd expect them to spot this on their own.)

As a side note, I contacted a few of the Tesla approved electricians in my area. I asked for ballpark quotes, give them all the details they need to know. Everyone replied with $1400-$2000+permits but they'll narrow it down once they show up to take a look.

I called one of the companies out on the BS, listed the non-contractor (home depot) material prices, permit prices in my county, and how long I think it'll take to do the job at a $125/hourly rate (which might be high). Came out at about 1/4 of their ballpark price. They replied with "well we've done Tesla installations as low as $400 also, we really need to see your setup" (I completely understand needing to see. another company told me they need to see pics, and they'll adjust their prices before coming out and giving me a hard quote)

Know your costs before even inviting them to your house.

I had a 125 A circuit run to garage from other side of house (a big deal) to power both 14-50 outlet and a hot tub. Ran $5200, and this was the cheaper quote!

I'm convinced that all skilled trades double their prices when the drive into my neighborhood.