Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice buying used 90D (2017) or 75 (2018). 10K i pricedifference.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello.

I'm from Norway and need some advice buying my first Tesla modelX.
I have two options i cant decide between.

Options1:
90D, reg sept 2017, 53000 miles, 50000USD, enhanced AP, premium sound, winter, no selfpres doors, MCU1

Option 2:
75D, reg sept 2018, 33500 miles, 60000USD, AP 2.5, premium pack with selfpres doors, MCU2

Which one would you guys buy and why?

Option 1.

I have a '17 90D. You can upgrade the MCU, which I did. The enhanced AP is great, and the extra battery range will be nice in the cold winters. The winter package is great, I love the heated steering wheel.

I went with the 90 for the range, and knowing I could upgrade the MCU, was the deciding factor. That kept me from spending more for a newer model, when I could have the same features.

I will say the self presenting doors are great, but, I seem to end up hitting the button half the time anyway.

I do not have the premium sound, but don't regret not getting it.

Just my thoughts, I am sure other will have similar or different.

For sure the 90D it’s not question.. they never should have made the X with the 75 battery and the self presenting doors are just downright annoying .. I was so excited for them in my new plaid X and within a week I turned them off cuz they constantly pop open when you don’t want them to.. and when they do open for you you just look stupid waiting for your door to open for you vs cool like you think your gonna look haha

Fully agree to get option 1 and upgrade to MCU2 asap. You'll appreciate the range and winter package.

umETpse.jpg

Reactions: Stin121
@geirhelge, I have some thoughts that may deviate a bit from those previously voiced. I have a September 2017 build of a 100D, so (at least I think) I remember details in that time frame, and I followed details of configuration changes for quite awhile after that.

So, the Sept 2017 not having self presenting doors means it did not have the premium upgrade package. At that time, the PUP included not only the self-presenting doors but also the HEPA filter and 2 cabin filters. You list that it has the premium sound and cold weather package, and that makes sense because those options were separate from the PUP.

At the end of 2017 (November/December if I recall) the PUP was changed to include the premium sound and cold weather package. So your 2018 option, if it has the self-presenting doors, it also has the premium sound and cold weather. As a side, I think it was around Sept 2018 that the PUP started to be included as part of the base package.

The things I am not sure of in the difference between these cars:
- Option 1 has EAP (very good). Does option 2 have any autopilot package? The default was none in September 2018.

- What is the current rated miles of each at 100% state of charge? While the 90D has a larger battery, I thought those have experienced more degradation than most other battery packs. They might not have that different of current rated range.

- Do they have the same seat configurations and what are inside/outside colors? I have a strong preference for the light interior, either white or cream.

I personally would want the self-presenting doors and HEPA bio defense mode. I thought the doors would be a gimmick that I would turn off, but it is one of my favorite things about the car, which is utterly missed when I’m in any other car. I think there may be an option to add the bio defense mode to cars without it.

Autopilot is really important to me. If option 2 doesn’t have it, it can of course be added but would want to know the cost. I recently heard that it was $3k for basic autopilot and another $12k for FSD for mid-2018 cars with no autopilot.

All my info is from US vantage point, which could obviously be different for you.

@geirhelge, I have some thoughts that may deviate a bit from those previously voiced. I have a September 2017 build of a 100D, so (at least I think) I remember details in that time frame, and I followed details of configuration changes for quite awhile after that.

So, the Sept 2017 not having self presenting doors means it did not have the premium upgrade package. At that time, the PUP included not only the self-presenting doors but also the HEPA filter and 2 cabin filters. You list that it has the premium sound and cold weather package, and that makes sense because those options were separate from the PUP.

At the end of 2017 (November/December if I recall) the PUP was changed to include the premium sound and cold weather package. So your 2018 option, if it has the self-presenting doors, it also has the premium sound and cold weather. As a side, I think it was around Sept 2018 that the PUP started to be included as part of the base package.

The things I am not sure of in the difference between these cars:
- Option 1 has EAP (very good). Does option 2 have any autopilot package? The default was none in September 2018.

- What is the current rated miles of each at 100% state of charge? While the 90D has a larger battery, I thought those have experienced more degradation than most other battery packs. They might not have that different of current rated range.

- Do they have the same seat configurations and what are inside/outside colors? I have a strong preference for the light interior, either white or cream.

I personally would want the self-presenting doors and HEPA bio defense mode. I thought the doors would be a gimmick that I would turn off, but it is one of my favorite things about the car, which is utterly missed when I’m in any other car. I think there may be an option to add the bio defense mode to cars without it.

Autopilot is really important to me. If option 2 doesn’t have it, it can of course be added but would want to know the cost. I recently heard that it was $3k for basic autopilot and another $12k for FSD for mid-2018 cars with no autopilot.

All my info is from US vantage point, which could obviously be different for you.
You’ll never use the bio defense mode and I promise you the self presenting doors are annoying not helpful. Especially for those with two teslas and the phone app as a key they will both constantly open if parked next to each other instead of just the one your taking at that time

You don't need to use the BWD mode to get the benefits of the HEPA filter. I never smell dead skunks or fumes. 5.5 years of bliss. Seasonal allergies are much abated too. It is a feature you will not want to miss out on. You can add it for $750 I believe.

Reactions: Krash and Bigriver
I'm debating if the differance between the two options is worth the 10 grand extra for option 2.
the selfpresenting doors is not important for me.
Dont know about the filters. perhaps not THAT important?
Option 1 is black outside and cream innside. The battery is showing 254 miles at 90% charge and 282 miles at 100%
Option 2 is black outside and inside. AP 2.5. i dont know the range at 90/100% charge for this option.

Reactions: Bigriver
I'm debating if the differance between the two options is worth the 10 grand extra for option 2.
the selfpresenting doors is not important for me.
Dont know about the filters. perhaps not THAT important?
Option 1 is black outside and cream innside. The battery is showing 254 miles at 90% charge and 282 miles at 100%
Option 2 is black outside and inside. AP 2.5. i dont know the range at 90/100% charge for this option.

282 is really good for a 90D. Almost too good - you want rated not ideal. This seems to be Model S numbers.

I believe the original rated range on the 90D was 257 miles, so this isn’t sounding right. My first guess is that you have been quoted the “ideal” range, which is notably above the “rated” range (which for many of us, is notably above the actual range.)

As a point of reference, my 2017 100D currently has 60,000 miles, and the battery is at 74%, which is 202 rated miles and 253 ideal miles. It is a little below average for 100D, as it is our road trip car and is supercharged a lot.

I don’t know if you have access to the car. If so, here is where you need to toggle in the menu.
26D5F364-D7E7-49A8-9AB7-F8B474074D1A.jpeg

Reactions: croman
I believe the original rated range on the 90D was 257 miles, so this isn’t sounding right. My first guess is that you have been quoted the “ideal” range, which is notably above the “rated” range (which for many of us, is notably above the actual range.)

As a point of reference, my 2017 100D currently has 60,000 miles, and the battery is at 74%, which is 202 rated miles and 253 ideal miles. It is a little below average for 100D, as it is our road trip car and is supercharged a lot.

I don’t know if you have access to the car. If so, here is where you need to toggle in the menu.View attachment 784931
thanX. Have to check that!

257 at 100 percent was new. 204 is 225 at 100 percent. So 13 percent degradation. Not bad for a 90 but also not great. 90s just have big losses but they usually plateau. Is 225 miles, in ideal conditions, acceptable range to you? That's what I have with my 75D model S and I road trip. It gets me 3 hours of driving, which, with kids and coffee, is all I can manage comfortably nowadays per stop.

257 at 100 percent was new. 204 is 225 at 100 percent. So 13 percent degradation. Not bad for a 90 but also not great. 90s just have big losses but they usually plateau. Is 225 miles, in ideal conditions, acceptable range to you? That's what I have with my 75D model S and I road trip. It gets me 3 hours of driving, which, with kids and coffee, is all I can manage comfortably nowadays per stop.
it is acceptable, but i am a little bit concerned after reading several posts about the 90D battery, unusal battery degradation and problems. Hmmm....