Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice buying used from individual in another state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm considering buying a used Tesla from someone in Michigan. I'm in Maryland. I'd love to fly there, transfer money in exchange for title (a bit more complicated, I know), and drive the car back to MD.

However, it seems almost impossible to get some form of temporary or transit tag from either state that would enable this. Does anyone know anything to the contrary? If not, I seem headed to possibly having it delivered via flatbed (after I drive up there and do the money/title exchange). Anyone have a recommendation for this?

On a related note, buying a car from an individual in another state and getting it properly registered in MD seems to be a demanding process. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Todd

Thank you for your reply. Have you done this before? If so, have you ever been pulled over and what did that conversation go like? Thanks!
Many times. The only time I was pulled over during transit (bought GMC Typhoon in MN, pulled over in IA on my way to CO) I had to explain to the nice highway patrolman how it all worked. Needless to say if you know what you're talking about, it helps that conversation go more smoothly.