Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[Advice] Electric Plug installation in condominiums (Ontario)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was recommended to post here in this regard by a user on the Tesla subreddit (/r/teslamotors), but I am hoping someone with previous experience / legal knowledge of condominium law in Ontario can help.
Currently in the process of purchasing a condo (conditional offer - all conditions waived, except for a condition I put in the offer regarding receiving preliminary approval from the board in writing). All board members are on board except for an older, ex-lawyer who is refusing to allow any modification to the condo electrical panel because "he doesn't like the technology".
I have offered to sign a CEMA (common element modification agreement), indemnify the condo of all damages, cover the cost of installation, and install a check meter to monitor my use of hydro (so I can reimburse the condo). Yet regardless of all this, the one member isn't budging.
My understanding is the decision does not need to be unanimous to approve a CEMA, however there is a definite risk for me here if I decide to close on the property without getting over this hurdle.
Has anyone had any similar experiences and / or advice they can share? I'm especially curious what are my legal rights here. I.e. can I sue the condo once I become an owner for the board not acting reasonably, etc.

Right. Get the condo board to agree in advance, or no deal. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense. Surely one person can't veto the decision - ask them to vote on it, or stuff it.

I'm sure you have your heart set on that building, but a crappy condo board makes for a rather miserable home. There are lots of other fish in the sea.

Surely one person can't veto the decision - ask them to vote on it, or stuff it.

This is the key, but it's a bit of a chicken before the egg problem, as in I'm technically in no position to compel the board to go to a vote while I am just merely a prospective purchaser. Whereas once I'm an owner, I would have the power to do so - but then the risk is far greater at the point (obviously).

Tricky situation.