TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

[Advice] Electric Plug installation in condominiums (Ontario)

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by swirSKY11, Dec 8, 2013.

1. swirSKY11

swirSKY11 New Member

I was recommended to post here in this regard by a user on the Tesla subreddit (/r/teslamotors), but I am hoping someone with previous experience / legal knowledge of condominium law in Ontario can help.
    Currently in the process of purchasing a condo (conditional offer - all conditions waived, except for a condition I put in the offer regarding receiving preliminary approval from the board in writing). All board members are on board except for an older, ex-lawyer who is refusing to allow any modification to the condo electrical panel because "he doesn't like the technology".
    I have offered to sign a CEMA (common element modification agreement), indemnify the condo of all damages, cover the cost of installation, and install a check meter to monitor my use of hydro (so I can reimburse the condo). Yet regardless of all this, the one member isn't budging.
    My understanding is the decision does not need to be unanimous to approve a CEMA, however there is a definite risk for me here if I decide to close on the property without getting over this hurdle.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences and / or advice they can share? I'm especially curious what are my legal rights here. I.e. can I sue the condo once I become an owner for the board not acting reasonably, etc.

2. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

You are talking about Ontario, Canada? You should ask this question in the Canada regional forum(s).

3. swirSKY11

swirSKY11 New Member

Just re-posted there, thanks.

4. Cosmacelf

Your real estate agent should be able to get you the condo bylaws. Then you can find how board voting occurs.

5. Cosmacelf

Your real estate agent should be able to get you the condo bylaws. Then you can find how board voting occurs.

6. montgom626

montgom626 Active Member

Don't spend a dime until you have the agreement in hand. Court is a waste of time.

7. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Right. Get the condo board to agree in advance, or no deal. Life is too short for that kind of nonsense. Surely one person can't veto the decision - ask them to vote on it, or stuff it.

I'm sure you have your heart set on that building, but a crappy condo board makes for a rather miserable home. There are lots of other fish in the sea.

8. swirSKY11

swirSKY11 New Member

This is the key, but it's a bit of a chicken before the egg problem, as in I'm technically in no position to compel the board to go to a vote while I am just merely a prospective purchaser. Whereas once I'm an owner, I would have the power to do so - but then the risk is far greater at the point (obviously).

Tricky situation.

9. Cosmacelf

Make it a condition of offer and thus make the current owner go through the board approval process.