TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

[Advice] Electric Plug installation in condominiums (Ontario)

Discussion in 'Canada' started by swirSKY11, Dec 9, 2013.

1. swirSKY11

swirSKY11 New Member

I was recommended to post here in this regard from the Charging + Battery thread since it was more specific to Canada (Ontario), but I am hoping someone with previous experience / legal knowledge of condominium law in Ontario can help.
    Currently in the process of purchasing a condo (conditional offer - all conditions waived, except for a condition I put in the offer regarding receiving preliminary approval from the board in writing). All board members are on board except for an older, ex-lawyer who is refusing to allow any modification to the condo electrical panel because "he doesn't like the technology".
    I have offered to sign a CEMA (common element modification agreement), indemnify the condo of all damages, cover the cost of installation, and install a check meter to monitor my use of hydro (so I can reimburse the condo). Yet regardless of all this, the one member isn't budging.
    My understanding is the decision does not need to be unanimous to approve a CEMA, however there is a definite risk for me here if I decide to close on the property without getting over this hurdle.
    Has anyone had any similar experiences and / or advice they can share? I'm especially curious what are my legal rights here. I.e. can I sue the condo once I become an owner for the board not acting reasonably, etc.

2. catnip

catnip Member

I cannot answer the question whether you can sue or not.
    I don't like it, (or I like it) is not a rational answer. He probably know he has the power and regressively abused it. Does it required all board members to pass it or a majority?
    All 4 members in y condo board had no objections to pass it. However I have to sign this "Alteration Agreement" similar to the CEMA you mentioned, and I have to pay the lawyer to draft this up which will cost an extra $1000-$2000. Do you know if you have to be responsible for this fee?

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Plug 'n Drive, an Ontario based EV advocacy group, has been lobbying for changes to the Condo Act to enable EV charging at these sites. It might be worth touching bases with them to see if there's any assistance they can offer.