Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for a new Tesla Model S owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I ordered a new Model S Performance a few weeks ago and am wondering what advice any new or long-time Tesla owners would have. Looking for tips on maintenance, seats, range, etc... I'll often be going on road trips, averaging a speed of 130 km/h. The summers here are between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius and winters rarely drop below -5. Won't be driving more than 550km per day.

Super excited for this car... I've gone from thinking it's pretty cool a few years ago to it being my dream car when I tested it a few months ago..

Sorry for the vague question, but seriously, any advice is appreciated. Hopefully we can also shift ourselves into a state of normalcy and keep our sanity at home by talking about things other than COVID-19, such as cars. :)

A few tidbits:

Summer range much better than winter range.
Display your energy with percentage of battery rather than miles of range left. This will help with range anxiety.
For long highway trips, figure you’ll do about 50, to at best 60, mph when you include The time you’ll spend at super charging stops.
For daily driving around town , try to keep your charge level between 20 and 80% for best battery life. Go above 80% when charging and below 20% when driving only if necessary.

That’s a few tips to get started. I’m sure more will follow.

Do your oil change and spark plugs on time...

No, just enjoy, not a lot to take care of.

Use a long press on the back of the key fob to open the charge port and disconnect the cable when charging. Have a 7m / 21ft cable for public charging with you.

Do your oil change and spark plugs on time...

No, just enjoy, not a lot to take care of.

Use a long press on the back of the key fob to open the charge port and disconnect the cable when charging. Have a 7m / 21ft cable for public charging with you.

I see you're from Vienna. I'm in Zagreb - what are central European non-Supercharger fast charging points like? Do I need an adapter for them, and if so, are they included with the car? I'll rarely be using these as I'll get a wall connector, but just wondering.

set up different driver profiles.
I have "standard" which is my ideal seat position, with high regen, chill mode on, creep, soft steering
Then I have "winter" which is slight more forward, no regen, chill, creep, medium steering
I also have "RossoCorsa" which is even slightly forward, no chill, hard steering

I like to witch between the various position based on time of the year, road condition, etc.etc.

Reactions: gbailey
Congratulations, i am in the same boat ordered the M/S P cant wait to arrive. The only difference is i am on a different continent but roots from exyu.

I have a couple of friends with Teslas in Austria and they drive down to croatia a lot. Charging the car is not a issue according to them until you decide to go to Montenegro then you will have a hard time finding a fast charging station.

I am sure you know all of that.

Enjoy the car.

Pozdrav iz Kanade

Congratulations, i am in the same boat ordered the M/S P cant wait to arrive. The only difference is i am on a different continent but roots from exyu.

I have a couple of friends with Teslas in Austria and they drive down to croatia a lot. Charging the car is not a issue according to them until you decide to go to Montenegro then you will have a hard time finding a fast charging station.

I am sure you know all of that.

Enjoy the car.

Pozdrav iz Kanade

Haha, super! Ja sam iz Toronta, živim u Zagrebu već par godina.

Never been to Montenegro and I'm not planning to go soon, but good to know. I'm assuming you're taking delivery in Canada - must be a lot easier than me either going to Tilburg to pick the thing up or having a truck drive it here. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't have the car delivered with issues, because the closest Tesla store/service center is in Graz... the Zagreb ones are only opening later this year.

Reactions: Aleks0404
Hope this will help on your trips, Stromtankstellen Verzeichnis | GoingElectric.de sorry it’s in german.
All non-Tesla chargers (mostly only at 22Kw) requires your own (additional) Type2 cable. Tesla own Supercharges are all set for you. If you find this option feasible then just get yourself a ChaDeMo adapter (up to 75Kw) to get almost as fast charging as Teslas own. Congratulations!
Here is clarification added
CD2212DE-286A-41D7-A366-67242509C0F5.png

Hope this will help on your trips, Stromtankstellen Verzeichnis | GoingElectric.de sorry it’s in german.
All non-Tesla chargers (mostly only at 22Kw) requires your own (additional) Type2 cable. Tesla own Supercharges are all set for you. If you find this option feasible then just get yourself a ChaDeMo adapter (up to 75Kw) to get almost as fast charging as Teslas own. Congratulations!
Here is clarification added
View attachment 525154

Great, thanks. Most non-Superchargers in Croatia are CHAdeMO so that's great. Judging the above diagram, the Wall Connector plugs right into the vehicle. (want to be super sure about this as I don't need charging issues when taking delivery)

Hi - I ordered a new Model S Performance a few weeks ago and am wondering what advice any new or long-time Tesla owners would have. Looking for tips on maintenance, seats, range, etc... I'll often be going on road trips, averaging a speed of 130 km/h. The summers here are between 25 and 35 degrees Celsius and winters rarely drop below -5. Won't be driving more than 550km per day.

Super excited for this car... I've gone from thinking it's pretty cool a few years ago to it being my dream car when I tested it a few months ago..

Sorry for the vague question, but seriously, any advice is appreciated. Hopefully we can also shift ourselves into a state of normalcy and keep our sanity at home by talking about things other than COVID-19, such as cars. :)

First of all try and forget the rated range. You will drive yourself nuts. Cold weather, stop and go, and high speeds kill the range. Driving smoothly with minimum stop and go, between 80 & 100 Kph, will beat the rated range. I don't know the supercharger situation where you are but here in NE USA I got over range anxiety after a month and a couple of trips of over 300 miles. It's just not an issue but will almost certainly be foremost on your mind at first.

Second, get yourself a tire repair "kit" and a 12 volt air compressor. A reamer, insertion tool and rope repair plugs (and pliers to remove that nail) will get you going when roadside assistance is still hours away. I am assuming European cars do not have spare tires (no spares in US cars).

Third, check your charging options beyond the Tesla network and get charging adapters if necessary. Check out A better Route Planner or Plug Share apps to see where charging stations are and what type of connector they have. I have no idea what adapters come with your car but it is probably a good idea to have at least one option for fast charging in addition to the Tesla superchargers (they can be full or inoperative, and slow charging is really slow if you are trying to get somewhere).

Fourth, don't worry about the user interface. It looks complicated with multiple options, but It is quite intuitive and easy to navigate after going through it a couple of times.

A few things I found useful: I installed a drawer below the center screen. The "shelf" will lose it's contents every time you can't help yourself and fully depress the accelerator pedal. The footwell, frunk and trunk lighting is barely there and direct fit aftermarket LED lights were a huge improvement in the dark. You could also consider PPF on the areas prone to picking up stone chips (I did the front bumper and rocker panels. Other people wrap the entire car. Overkill?). A set of winter floor mats isn't a bad idea (EODRO worked fine for me).

Maintenance just isn't an issue. As was previously posted, the general current theory for battery life is to stay between 20% and 80% (but there are multiple, and frequently heated, discussions on how to treat your battery). I've had no degradation over 5 months and 3,000 miles but it is inevitable and not worth worrying about.

Oh, and you just won't believe how much fun this car is. You will develop a permanent "Tesla grin".

First of all try and forget the rated range. You will drive yourself nuts. Cold weather, stop and go, and high speeds kill the range. Driving smoothly with minimum stop and go, between 80 & 100 Kph, will beat the rated range. I don't know the supercharger situation where you are but here in NE USA I got over range anxiety after a month and a couple of trips of over 300 miles. It's just not an issue but will almost certainly be foremost on your mind at first.

Second, get yourself a tire repair "kit" and a 12 volt air compressor. A reamer, insertion tool and rope repair plugs (and pliers to remove that nail) will get you going when roadside assistance is still hours away. I am assuming European cars do not have spare tires (no spares in US cars).

Third, check your charging options beyond the Tesla network and get charging adapters if necessary. Check out A better Route Planner or Plug Share apps to see where charging stations are and what type of connector they have. I have no idea what adapters come with your car but it is probably a good idea to have at least one option for fast charging in addition to the Tesla superchargers (they can be full or inoperative, and slow charging is really slow if you are trying to get somewhere).

Fourth, don't worry about the user interface. It looks complicated with multiple options, but It is quite intuitive and easy to navigate after going through it a couple of times.

A few things I found useful: I installed a drawer below the center screen. The "shelf" will lose it's contents every time you can't help yourself and fully depress the accelerator pedal. The footwell, frunk and trunk lighting is barely there and direct fit aftermarket LED lights were a huge improvement in the dark. You could also consider PPF on the areas prone to picking up stone chips (I did the front bumper and rocker panels. Other people wrap the entire car. Overkill?). A set of winter floor mats isn't a bad idea (EODRO worked fine for me).

Maintenance just isn't an issue. As was previously posted, the general current theory for battery life is to stay between 20% and 80% (but there are multiple, and frequently heated, discussions on how to treat your battery). I've had no degradation over 5 months and 3,000 miles but it is inevitable and not worth worrying about.

Oh, and you just won't believe how much fun this car is. You will develop a permanent "Tesla grin".

1. The speed limit in Croatia (and most of Europe) is 130 km/h, so that'll be my average speed on road trips. I heard that in the summer you can beat the rated range even on the highway, but in the winter it's hard to beat 350km at that speed. The Supercharger network in Croatia is good, as is it in most of Europe. There are non-SC fast charging units at almost every gas stop that are rarely occupied. I'd be really surprised to hear that there are more than 500 EVs in the country.
2. No spares, thankfully. I'll get the repair kit, but highways here are incredibly high quality and there's almost no chance of getting a puncture there. But I'd like to ere on the side of caution, and kits are inexpensive...
3. The user interface is great, IMO much easier to use than the new Audi and Mercedes interfaces. A little BMW-style rotary wheel wouldn't be bad but then again, it would mess up the design. Absolutely no concerns on that.
4. Good idea with the drawer. I also noticed the lack of lighting and will try to solve that as well. PPF is expensive but probably worth it; I'll get the Tesla All-Season Mats.
5. I know the car is fun. That's the main thing that took me from shortlisting this car to saying, "There's no chance that I'm spending more for a 540i". :)

For ccs you need a retrofit from Tesla themselves for 500 Euro. Chademo is an external 400 Euro (used) adapter - quite big, but worth it in Croatia I hear. Check if that is really the case compared to ccs. Ccs ist the new EU wide standard, so for about the same price you get a more future proof charging solution.

Driving at 130 km/h (80 mph) is going to drop your range. Most of the energy at highway speeds is used to push air out of the way. The air resistance goes up as the square of the speed. 112 km/h (70 mph) will get you a lot closer to your rated range. The cooling mode of the air conditioning has less effect than you might think, parked in 100F (37.7C) heat with the inside temperature set to 70F (21.1C) drops my range by 8 miles (12.9 km) per hour. The heating uses resistance heat so is electrically expensive. Whereas conventional cars use waste engine heat to warm the cabin, the Tesla will use battery power to heat the cabin. I wear a sweater, use the seat heater, and keep the inside relatively cool, 15-18C (60-65F).

A lot of people suggest looking at the remaining battery power as a percentage, they say to decrease range anxiety. I like mine set to remaining distance. I don’t I’ve ever felt range anxiety. The remaining range calculation is pretty conservative and I always see It increase on trips. But then I don’t drive at 80 mph (130 km/h).

You’ll love the car. I do, and mine’s not a performance model.

For ccs you need a retrofit from Tesla themselves for 500 Euro. Chademo is an external 400 Euro (used) adapter - quite big, but worth it in Croatia I hear. Check if that is really the case compared to ccs. Ccs ist the new EU wide standard, so for about the same price you get a more future proof charging solution.

The vast majority of gas stations here with charging points have a CHAdeMO plug, a CCS2 plug and Type 2. Where can I find the CCS adapter? On the European Tesla Store sites it only shows a CHAdeMO adapter, no mention of the CCS...