Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for a Teslanaut embarking on a mission to Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Jeeves

Feb 12, 2020
UK
It has been a long time since I drove my own car over to Europe. I intend to go to Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy on a bit of a trip in the Model 3 P later this year.

What preparations should I make and what should I take with me?

...but seriously... for France anyway, the car will deal with headlamps (page 66 Euro user manual below) if your plate doesn't have a GB sticker then put one on. If you are going to use the autoroute, then a tag is useful..many options available but my local one below. In France, stick to the speed limits as best you can: 30, 50, 80, 90, 110 and 130kph depending on the road. The Tesla can change to full local (foreign language) or partial KPH + English for directions (Page 142 below). FSD is passable with nagging on autoroute but I don't bother elsewhere - you'll just lurch about...
You're on a different side of the road but in our other car which is RHD, we've used it for twelve years without any great hassle.
The rule of the road for rural roundabouts is the same as the UK..you however, are likely to be the only one who knows this. In towns, indicators are pretty decorations and when parking, bumpers are used to the full extent of the description. Also in towns, watch out for crossings - they're like rashes everywhere. The law says that once on them, pedestrians have right of way. Pedestrians though are not stupid and will normally run across them like sniper alley. Apart from that, plenty of huffing, puffing and gesticulation at any driver (or pedestrian) who errs in the slightest is de rigueur.
There is another rule on rural roads called priorité à droite‎ but that's probably best read about. Enjoy!

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_europe_en.pdf

Your online Liber-t electronic toll payment subscription | Bip&Go

I'm afraid lot's of shops at Dover and elsewhere have these for sale fully knowing they are not needed. In France, we have laws and laws. The law states you must carry a breathalyser but the law also states there is no penalty for not doing so. There is a long and boring story behind the whole saga. It is another good point though. Unlike in the UK where a police officer must have reason to stop you, in France the police, gendarmes and douane all dig in..at any time without reason. So, if you come out of a restaurant, they can be at the roundabout at the end of the road with a breathalyser. The form is to puff into it then grip the disposable tube with your teeth. The tube is then yours as a keepsake. DD limits are lower than the UK but stories abound that in the campagne there is one level for locals and another for out-of-towners...

• Informative
Reactions: Neilio
It has been a long time since I drove my own car over to Europe. I intend to go to Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Italy on a bit of a trip in the Model 3 P later this year.

What preparations should I make and what should I take with me?
I'm doing exactly that in 6 weeks, to Venice and back. Start with getting Maingau, Chargemap and plugsurfing cards.

You will also need a Vignette for Switzerland and an emission sticker (yes i know) for Germany, get both here

Maut & Vignetten für 2020 online kaufen | Tolltickets

When in Germany look out for Lidl as most will have a free rapid charger

Last edited:
From my experience, take a spare tyre and wheel. I have the Road Hero set and a rechargeable tyre pump. You cannot depend on Tesla Roadside Service or AA, especially on Sunday. Do not buy a pump up kit with goo in it... unless you want to buy a new tyre. It won't seal the M3 tyres with foam in them, just ruin them.

When you get a flat, your already low car will be even lower. Buy one of the plastic wedge things from Amazon so that you can get the car high enough to get a jack under it. Oh, yeah, get some jack pucks (also from Amazon).

I wrote about these experiences here previously. Use the search feature. It's free ;)

And Abetterrouteplanner.com is a real gem.

I'm doing exactly that in 6 weeks, to Venice and back. Start with getting Maingau, Chargemap and plugsurfing cards.

You will also need a Vignette for Switzerland and an emission sticker (yes i know) for Germany, get both here

Maut & Vignetten für 2020 online kaufen | Tolltickets

When in Germany look out for Lidl as most will have a free rapid charger

Did Italy last near in an ICE, was an awesome experience, which route you planning on?