Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for Autopilot and hand fatigue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am wondering what advice others might have on how you hold and control the wheel while using autopilot. When not using autopilot I typically rest my hand on the lower part of the wheel and steer accordingly. When using Autopilot I have been finding that I need to squeeze the wheel enough to the point where after an hour or so of driving my hand becomes quite tired - specifically my thumb applying pressure on the very bottom center most part of the wheel.. I have experimented with different levels of pressure and in different areas but figured I would come to TMC to see what advice the braintrust has to offer. Thanks all!

I too find the requirement to maintain an asymmetric pressure on the wheel fatiguing. Ironic, isn’t it? If you keep BOTH hands on the wheel, as one supposes Big Brother would prefer, the car senses... nothing, and alerts. So you must limply dangle ONE hand somehow. I have not figured out how, without getting a cramp, or becoming annoyed.

I have figured out that a long rubber band run from the wheel and stuck under my leg will maintain an acceptable “torque” on the wheel, while leaving me unencumbered and alert to respond to any event which requires my attention.

As trace says, the car can't feel how tightly you squeeze the wheel - it feels how much you turn the wheel or resist the wheel turning.

My usual driving preference is like yours - one hand at the bottom of the wheel. For AP, I've mostly adopted a habit of putting my left elbow on the door and resting my hand at 9:00 on the wheel, letting the weight of the arm pull the wheel lightly.

Last edited:
I rest my hands as I would normally do steering and simply add a little tug on the wheel left or right to add resistance instead of a squeeze. Not enough to knock it out of AP but enough to confirm hands are on the wheel. I tried the “squeeze” method but found it required a lot more effort than a little side pressure on the wheel.

The wheel responds to resistance not pressure.

Next time try to apply a small amount of force (be careful not to overseer) in either direction of the wheel (like you're turning, but only slight) to quiet the warning.
As trace says, the car can't feel how tightly you squeeze the wheel - it feels how much you turn the wheel or resist the wheel turning.

My usual driving preference is like yours - one hand at the bottom of the wheel. For AP, I've mostly adopted a habit of putting my right elbow on the door and resting my hand at 9:00 on the wheel, letting the weight of the arm pull the wheel lightly.
You guys just blew my mind. How have I not figured this out yet? I have been just squeezing the heck out of the wheel. Wow Thank you! Somewhat embarrassing! :)

Left arm / elbow on the door arm rest or resting on my leg, hand on the 7 o’clock position on the steering wheel applying light counter resistance as it moves around. Can drive for hours like this with zero fatigue.

You guys just blew my mind. How have I not figured this out yet? I have been just squeezing the heck out of the wheel. Wow Thank you! Somewhat embarrassing! :)
Not saying this as condescending:

If you ever have some down time you should check out the manual. It is very readable surprisingly and contains a ton of random tricks like tapping the speed sign on the screen while on AP will change your AP speed to the speed limit.

orange-fruit-tangerinecitrus-picture-id486086673

• Funny
Reactions: TechVP and Puddles
I have gotten used to just lightly holding on to the steering wheel about 8'oclock with my left hand with a slight downward pull, and that is enough to satisfy the autopilot. I was up all night operating Sunday night/Monday morning and when the car drove me home Monday at 6 am finally, I have to admit that I nodded off a few times on the freeway, but managed to wake up enough to get off the freeway and get home. It was tough, though.