Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for best traction and handling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would really appreciate any advice that people are willing to give. I am in a P85D newly upgraded to Luda last month. (Love it!) My car came stock with the staggered 21" PS2 setup. I loved the traction, and handling of the PS2s but switched to 19" PS A/S 3s trying to get better tread life, and rim protection.. Early on I found that the PS A/S 3s would slip from a start with traction control (TC) coming on, now since the Luda upgrade I find it coming on annoying more often at any speed if you throttle hard. The handling is great 8/10th the time, as long as you don't go beyond that. If you do the TC light comes on blinking like an anti-fun meter. I am considering going back to PS2s and living with the lower tread and everything else, but am seeking any advice for tire options purely for the best handling and traction as a daily driver. Thanks for any help.

Reactions: benjiejr
Please get your car aligned -properly-. It's not correct now. Rear camber is way out, and chews up tires so you'll need to replace both upper links with adjustable ones. Then have an experienced hand on a laser aligner set it to lolachampcar's settings:
The front set to tesla specs
-0.70 Camber
3.55 Caster
-0.04 Toe

Rear set as follows
-1.10 Camber (fixed)
0.15 Toe

The PSS is the best option as far as performance goes. They should be orderable in the staggered size in the next month or so.

Please get your car aligned -properly-. It's not correct now. Rear camber is way out, and chews up tires so you'll need to replace both upper links with adjustable ones. Then have an experienced hand on a laser aligner set it to lolachampcar's settings:
The front set to tesla specs
-0.70 Camber
3.55 Caster
-0.04 Toe

Rear set as follows
-1.10 Camber (fixed)
0.15 Toe

Edmond, this post is at best misleading. Suggesting someone may want to reduce camber to reduce wear is great, but telling someone that their alignment is "not correct" and that their rear camber is "way out" without any evidence isn't appropriate. There is no requirement to replace the rear links. In addition, reducing the rear camber will make the car potentially handle very differently in emergency situations and can cause the rear to come loose if a driver doesn't know how to handle it.

While lowering the camber does help, on the P85D it isn't nearly as much of an issue as having the toe right. I've been consistently getting 18k+ miles on my rear PS2s with no camber modification. I also don't have to worry about warranty issues with my suspension.

Please get your car aligned -properly-. It's not correct now. Rear camber is way out, and chews up tires so you'll need to replace both upper links with adjustable ones.

That does seem to be a rather overly generalized statement without any specific data. I have read a lot about this before and after I got my P85+ and the bigger factor does appear to be, as Denarius said, the rear toe adjustment. 11,000 miles on my staggered PS2's and I have completely uniform wear across the tire with no modifications. No sign of excessive inner shoulder wear and in fact the water channels on the shoulder blocks are the same depth on the inside of my tires as the outside.

To the OP's original question, as the PSS's become available in the staggered fitment (as they are rumored to be) they will probably become the de facto standard.

I would really appreciate any advice that people are willing to give. I am in a P85D newly upgraded to Luda last month. (Love it!) My car came stock with the staggered 21" PS2 setup. I loved the traction, and handling of the PS2s but switched to 19" PS A/S 3s trying to get better tread life, and rim protection.. Early on I found that the PS A/S 3s would slip from a start with traction control (TC) coming on, now since the Luda upgrade I find it coming on annoying more often at any speed if you throttle hard. The handling is great 8/10th the time, as long as you don't go beyond that. If you do the TC light comes on blinking like an anti-fun meter. I am considering going back to PS2s and living with the lower tread and everything else, but am seeking any advice for tire options purely for the best handling and traction as a daily driver. Thanks for any help.

Hey Rich!

Just for comparison I'm running 20" HREs with Pirelli P-Zeros and the following specs:
Front: 245/40/20
Rear: 285/35/20 (went a little wider in rear which might be helping my traction)

Before Luda I almost never slipped. After Luda, I slip off a launch a little, but never after 30 mph if the pavement is dry. I'm fairly happy with these tires but do feel like the Michelin's handled slightly better; I may go back to them when these are done. Otherwise, these are pretty solid tires worth considering.

Best of luck sir!

Regards, Ben