Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice for FastPass transponder placement....Model S Refresh

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this question has been asked before, but the answers I've read don't seem to be working for me. I have a MS 90D refresh, which is about 3 weeks old. My California FastPass transponder is mounted in the car, but with no success. I've tried it in at least 5 different locations of the front windshield, with no luck (upper left, lower left, upper right, lower right, adjacent to the camera housing where there is no tint). I know it doesn't work because the transponder doesn't beep when I go through a toll and then a day later I check my account and it says I had a violation, then they auto debit my account, because it does a license plate match. I've had my plates for about 10 days, so I've verified it many times already. Prior to having plates, I must've just gotten lucky because they couldn't do a plate lookup, oh well :)

Any advice on where I can place the transponder? I am at a loss. I've read that some folks have mounted it on the rear windshield, but that won't work for me - I want to be able to change the setting on the transponder to the number of occupants in the car, easily, without having to open the trunk before we start our drive.

In my pre-refresh TMS, the dark area to the right of the rear-view mirror works fine. I've seen hints that the orientation matters, so if it doesn't work you might try rotating it 90 degrees.

I want to be able to change the setting on the transponder to the number of occupants in the car, easily, without having to open the trunk before we start our drive

Are you sure you need to do that? I believe most jurisdictions consider a BEV/ZEV as 3 people. Maybe you're waiting for decals?

In my pre-refresh TMS, the dark area to the right of the rear-view mirror works fine. I've seen hints that the orientation matters, so if it doesn't work you might try rotating it 90 degrees.

Are you sure you need to do that? I believe most jurisdictions consider a BEV/ZEV as 3 people. Maybe you're waiting for decals?

Thanks! I will try the orientation. I am new to the West coast so I am not familiar with the nuances related to number of toll occupants and ZEV's, but logically it would make sense. I will check it out.

Yes, I am also waiting for the "coveted" white stickers to arrive, as well as my vanity vintage black plates with yellow letters.

In the SF Bay Area, if you have a qualifying EV with the white HOV stickers, you keep your FasTrak Flex transponder switched to 3 (for 3+ occupants) and this will log you as a 'carpool'. Not sure what the rules & regs are where you are, but given that I do not need to switch it, I have mounted my wife's transponder in the bottom center of the rear liftgate window. My old 2013 S has the black area to the right of the insider rear view mirror, and the transponder works there, so that's where I left mine.

In the SF Bay Area, if you have a qualifying EV with the white HOV stickers, you keep your FasTrak Flex transponder switched to 3 (for 3+ occupants) and this will log you as a 'carpool'. Not sure what the rules & regs are where you are, but given that I do not need to switch it, I have mounted my wife's transponder in the bottom center of the rear liftgate window. My old 2013 S has the black area to the right of the insider rear view mirror, and the transponder works there, so that's where I left mine.
@Moneesh ^^^ this is true in southern california too if you have the MetroLane transponder. The OC Toll Roads does not have the switch to flip to 3. Its good on all toll & HOV roads and will automatically trip on free roads versus those that require tolls. Metro ExpressLanes

I have a model S that was delivered March 2015. Nowhere in the front windshield worked for me, so I was stuck with opening the window or the sunroof as I drove by the detectors.

I read on this form that some we're putting them under the parcel shelf in the back. Since I didn't want to get it knocked off inadvertently, I had a passenger try holding it up to the rear glass.

It worked perfectly, and I have it now mounted on the top inside rear glass on the driver side. It cannot be seen, and works flawlessly. It is also the pass that has the 1-2-3 settings

• Helpful
Reactions: NikeWings
Anyone have experience with a New York ezpass transponder? I've not mounted mine yet and was intending to use the area on the right side of the forward looking camera.

If orientation matters, did you find it worked best horizontally or vertically?

I have a model S that was delivered March 2015. Nowhere in the front windshield worked for me, so I was stuck with opening the window or the sunroof as I drove by the detectors.

I read on this form that some we're putting them under the parcel shelf in the back. Since I didn't want to get it knocked off inadvertently, I had a passenger try holding it up to the rear glass.

It worked perfectly, and I have it now mounted on the top inside rear glass on the driver side. It cannot be seen, and works flawlessly. It is also the pass that has the 1-2-3 settings

Interesting......how far to drivers side is it positioned?
I've just been blowing thru the tolls knowing the hit rate is less than perfect so I am anxious to try this.
Another Californian has it working fine by hanging it upside down on the black section of the windshield.

I have a refreshed MS, just delivered. I have found that the orientation of my Bay Area FasTrak transponder is important. It's Velcroed sideways on the black section of the windshield right up against the right side of the rear view mirror mount, such that the bottom of the transponder (as your read the lettering on the transponder) touches the mirror mount. It works fine. Clearly, the transponder's antenna must be in the bottom of the unit, and orienting the unit this way place the antenna safely within the black zone.

Reactions: Moneesh
I have a refreshed MS, just delivered. I have found that the orientation of my Bay Area FasTrak transponder is important. It's Velcroed sideways on the black section of the windshield right up against the right side of the rear view mirror mount, such that the bottom of the transponder (as your read the lettering on the transponder) touches the mirror mount. It works fine. Clearly, the transponder's antenna must be in the bottom of the unit, and orienting the unit this way place the antenna safely within the black zone.

Thanks - would you mind posting a picture?

Here you go. No other orientation works for me.

image.jpeg

Here you go. No other orientation works for me.

View attachment 189005

No photo--but my new gen FasTrak Flex (the one with the 3 position switch) is placed just like XLR8OR--rotated 90 degrees clockwise so bottom edge sits flush to mirror mount. Only way it works in the windshield of my 2013 build with the black area to the right of the mirror. As noted before, I could not find a suitable spot on my wife's 2015 build (no black area to the right of the mirror ) so hers is mounted in the lifgate window.

• Helpful
Reactions: mblakele
I am also in Southern California. I have tried both styles of transponder (larger square version and the newer rectangular version with the 3-position switch), with no success thus far. I have a 2016 refreshed Model S similar to the OP. I have tried multiple orientations in the black area to the right of the mirror. The only orientation that I have yet to try is upside down - I will try that on my next toll road trip. As @dinkoh mentioned, they will do a plate lookup and charge the account for OC tollroads, but one freeway down here (the 110) makes use of the switched transponder to indicate a carpool. If we are carpooling (to the Rams game :D) up the 110 and the transponder doesn't trigger, we will be charged via the plate lookup for what should be a free trip.

Last edited:
I am also in Southern California. I have tried both styles of transponder (larger square version and the newer rectangular version with the 3-position switch), with no success thus far. I have a 2016 refreshed Model S similar to the OP. I have tried multiple orientations in the black area to the right of the mirror. The only orientation that I have yet to try is upside down - I will try that on my next toll road trip. As @dinkoh mentioned, they will do a plate lookup and charge the account for OC tollroads, but one freeway down here (the 110) makes use of the switched transponder to indicate a carpool. If we are carpooling (to the Rams game :D) up the 110 and the transponder doesn't trigger, we will be charged via the plate lookup for what should be a free trip.

As noted, the 110 is toll free in a Tesla or any EV if switched to 3, regardless of passenger count. So even if they look up your plate, they'd see your Tesla registered with FastTrak and not charge your account. I've not had any erroneous charges from the 110 and I'm relying solely on plate look up. In fact, I've not experienced any erroneous charges on any CA FWYs since providing my plate number which I expected to occur. I think the tech is better than I gave them credit for having in place.

As noted, the 110 is toll free in a Tesla or any EV if switched to 3, regardless of passenger count. So even if they look up your plate, they'd see your Tesla registered with FastTrak and not charge your account. I've not had any erroneous charges from the 110 and I'm relying solely on plate look up. In fact, I've not experienced any erroneous charges on any CA FWYs since providing my plate number which I expected to occur. I think the tech is better than I gave them credit for having in place.

Thanks for the info Nike! I spoke with MetroExpress and they indicated that if I was in the 110 Express lane, and the transponder did not trigger, and they did a plate lookup - the only way that I would *not* be charged is if I have the HOV sticker on the back. Do you have the HOV stickers on your car? I have not put them on my car as yet.

Thanks for the info Nike! I spoke with MetroExpress and they indicated that if I was in the 110 Express lane, and the transponder did not trigger, and they did a plate lookup - the only way that I would *not* be charged is if I have the HOV sticker on the back. Do you have the HOV stickers on your car? I have not put them on my car as yet.

Yes, but I have only one HOV sticker on the car.........placed on the back, low-right.

Yep, that is what the customer service rep said - the toll both camera looks for the plate and the HOV sticker on the back. I guess that I need to put the sticker on, or hold the transponder out the sunroof :eek:

Try it....:eek: I did so at 65 and it blew out of my hand and into the northbound lane.
And that's why I now have the new switchie transponder. :D